Suggestions for car sickness ?

C908

Poor Mercy gets sick when she rides in the car. The only place we have been is the Vet and the groomer. She will drool really bad and then throw up if I don't get her out fast enough. She will be getting her last shot Sept 11th, after that I will take her out in public. I weighed her last night she has gained 10 lbs since we got her on July 26th. Her current weight is 27.5 lbs.20200818_190411.jpg

My suggestion would be to take her along for a car ride much more often than you are doing. You don't have to take her in anywhere or go anywhere specific. Keep it short. Don't feed her before hand then feed her when you return. One person can go in to the store while the other stays out with her. Or even take a drive around the block. Build up her tolerance. Ripley has gone on probably 20 car rides or more by now and she's only been here for 4 weeks. She has a few toys to keep her occupied. She attacks those for a bit then eventually falls asleep.

Does she have a crate to ride in or is she loose? I think riding in a crate is safer for all. She also won't be able to look out the window and see things fly by. I know that can make some animals sick.

I like the idea to just get in the car and maybe not even go anywhere. Just neutralize that territory for her. Then go on short trips to build up the tolerance.

I had a dog who was very prone to getting care sick and what I did to remedy it was block the windows so he was unable to see out. This worked particularly well along with keeping him on and empty stomach.

With Jazz I made very short trips to start with, but often, and when she was comfortable with that we would go further, but to somewhere she really enjoyed. That made a car ride about fun, rather than feeling sick.

She is now over 3 yrs old, but will still get sick sometimes if we are traveling a winding country road with lots of humps and bumps. I just try to give her plenty of breaks!

My suggestion would be to take her along for a car ride much more often than you are doing. You don't have to take her in anywhere or go anywhere specific. Keep it short. Don't feed her before hand then feed her when you return. One person can go in to the store while the other stays out with her. Or even take a drive around the block. Build up her tolerance. Ripley has gone on probably 20 car rides or more by now and she's only been here for 4 weeks. She has a few toys to keep her occupied. She attacks those for a bit then eventually falls asleep.

Does she have a crate to ride in or is she loose? I think riding in a crate is safer for all. She also won't be able to look out the window and see things fly by. I know that can make some animals sick.
She rides in a kennel, we bought a Honda CR V so we could have 2 kennels for her and Preacher. I might mention Preachers car manners greatly improved from when he rode in the backseat of our old Camry.

Not all things work on all dogs.

Car Sickness Remedies for Dogs

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/motion-sickness-remedies-dogs/
View attachment 111586

By: Dana Scott -
Reading Time: 3 minutes

Updated On October 25, 2019

Motion sickness can be a common issue in many dogs, much to the dismay of the people who love them and want to take them for rides! Generally, dogs will often grow out of motion sickness as they age and as they are taken out for more frequent rides.

If your dog suffers from motion sickness, take him out for frequent rides around the block and it should start to resolve. Better yet, drive him to the park and toss a few tennis balls for him so that he sees the car as a precursor to fun instead of just a transport to the vet’s or groomer’s.

Some dogs never seem to get over their motion sickness and may need a little assistance to make their car rides less traumatic – for both the dog and your upholstery! For these dogs, there are a few herbs and remedies that might ease the trauma.

Herbs for Upset Tummies
An upset stomach and vomiting may be eased with several herbs. Try ginger, peppermint, catnip, fennel or dill. They can be given separately or in combination.

Herbs for Anxiety
If you suspect your dog’s motion sickness is due to nervousness, try valerian as it will also calm the nervous stomach.

Herbs that can act as mild sedatives include oatstraw, skullcap and passionflower. These can be given alone or in combination with the herbs mentioned above.

Giving Herbs
It’s often best to use a tincture instead of dried herbs; dogs might not be able to digest enough of the dried herb to make it effective. The dosage depends somewhat on the dog and the application, but a general rule of thumb is:

• Tincture – 12 to 20 drops per 20 pounds of body weight, twice daily (this is a good starting point)
  • Dried herbs – 1 tsp per 20 pounds of body weight, twice daily (you can sprinkle it on his food)
Remedies for Upset Tummies
Homeopathy is also a great option for motion sickness.

Cocculus indicus – can be given just before getting in the car and is the most popular remedy for nausea due to motion sickness. Give your dog three pellets or crush them in a spoon and drop them in some water for him to drink (or in a dropper bottle so you can administer them).

Remedies for Anxiety
Rescue Remedy – this flower essence can also be given right before getting in the car to ease your dog’s anxiety. Follow the directions on the bottle.

Argentum nitricum – this is the first remedy to consider when nausea is accompanied by nervousness and anxiety. Give your dog three pellets or crush them in a spoon and drop them in some water for him to drink (or in a dropper bottle so you can administer them).

With a little help, and a little time, your dog may soon enjoy running errands with you, instead of waiting at home.

Giving Remedies
To give remedies, make sure you don’t touch the pellets (if you have to, that’s fine but try to pop them from the cap into your dog’s mouth – if that doesn’t work, place three pellets in a glass of water, stir with a metal spoon, then give the water to your dog in a dropper). Give the remedy before you leave and take some extras along for the ride, in case you need a second or third dose. Don’t give remedies with food.

Homeopathic dosing isn’t based on weight. Give the same dose for all size dogs.

• Pills – give 3 of the larger pellets or a capful of the smaller little granular pellets
  • Liquid – mix the same amount of pellets in a glass of water. Give a half dropper full, regardless of your dog’s size.

Dana Scott

Dana Scott is the Founder and Editor in Chief of Dogs Naturally Magazine and CEO of Four Leaf Rover, a high end natural supplement company. She also breeds award winning Labrador Retrievers under the Fallriver prefix. Dana has been a raw feeding, natural rearing breeder since the 90's and is a sought after speaker and outspoken advocate for natural health care for dogs and people. Dana works tirelessly to educate pet owners so they can influence veterinary medicine and change current vaccine, food and preventive health practices.
Thanks ! This will be very helpful.

With Jazz I made very short trips to start with, but often, and when she was comfortable with that we would go further, but to somewhere she really enjoyed. That made a car ride about fun, rather than feeling sick. Thanks, I hope we can overcome the car sickness.

She is now over 3 yrs old, but will still get sick sometimes if we are traveling a winding country road with lots of humps and bumps. I just try to give her plenty of breaks!

With Jazz I made very short trips to start with, but often, and when she was comfortable with that we would go further, but to somewhere she really enjoyed. That made a car ride about fun, rather than feeling sick.

Thanks !

Is she in the back kennel or one behind the front seats?
Picasso used to get car sick when he was a puppy, he was worse if he was in the back vs. closer to the front seats. He eventually associated car rides with going to train or play and is anxiety went away. I agree short Rides to go play some where to make it a positive experience would be what I would try.

I like the idea to just get in the car and maybe not even go anywhere. Just neutralize that territory for her. Then go on short trips to build up the tolerance.
That's what we had to do with Boris (our first) since he was terrified and the drooling would start, then the messes. We got him up to being able to go the half hour plus trip to the training facility, but that was about the best we could do before we lost him.

What a cutie! We need to see more photos of her!

Last edited:
Yesterday I thought Jazz was getting car sick on our long country drive as she was agitated, panting and looking out the back and side windows. Luckily I found a good spot to stop right about then and pulled over for her. When I let her out all was well, but when I walked around the car I noticed that the back tyre was rapidly deflating! She heard this when I didn't and it saved me a tyre as it was repairable! Being ready to stop for your dog has benefits and she has earned a meaty bone!

Oh poor girl! I would try a very very slow introduction. Don't take her out in the car for at least a couple of hours after eating. When I say slow, try just getting her in the car with no engine running, let her lie down, perhaps give her a treat and get her out again. Do that until she's calm and relaxed. Then introduce the engine, no movement though. Then take her literally just down your road and back. Gradually increasing time & distance but very slowly. Sometimes blacking out the crate helps.

If all else fails I would certainly look at the benefits of a thundershirt. They’re a drug-free, all natural way to provide some relief. The vest is wrapped around her and applies gentle, constant pressure. It’s a similar idea to swaddling an infant.

I thought Jazz was getting car sick on our long country drive as she was agitated, panting and looking out the back and side windows. Luckily I found a good spot to stop right about then and pulled over for her. When I let her out all was well, but when I walked around the car I noticed that the back tyre was rapidly deflating! She heard this when I didn't and it saved me a tyre as it was repairable!
Wow that's amazing!

Back