Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Such a thing as too many toys..?

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Lizbeli, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Is there such a thing as too many toys?

Anyone else go crazy every time they go to a pet store? I feel like I go in there needing one thing but I just can't leave without a toy. These toys will be cut in half and rotated every few days for him. But thought it was fun to take a photo with most of his toys out.

20190219_205419_HDR.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  2. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I did the same thing until late one night I stepped on a chewed NylaBone....man, that really hurts.

When it rains a lot and you can’t go outside to train and wear off energy, you can teach him how to pick up his toys and place in basket. Takes time and patience but he will get it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

I have 10 benebones and 2 Kong’s. I rotate them 2 at a time. If he takes them out of the “play” area I take them away and return them to the play area. If he does it again I take the toy away until later.

I think having the option of so many toys and free access they get bored of them and it’s harder to keep an eye on them to see if their still serviceable or if a piece is gonna fall off or be ingested.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Lizbeli

Haha. Yes nyla bones can be pretty awful when they are chewed up! I agree. Free access to all these toys would become boring shortly.

He is only allowed to play on the rug which is plenty big. My flooring is way too slippery for him to be running on while he is growing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I have one large Nylabone, and one (what was called at the time) Ultra King Kong. One was purchased for my first Doberman, and the other for my second Doberman. (I'm now on my third Dobe). :lmao:

We do have one of those soft rubber balls made up of strips of rubber. I use it sometimes for the little retrieving sessions on the driveway.

We also have one of those large red Kong-shaped, but hard plastic things you put kibble into and the dog knocks it around and makes food fall out. Can't use it because Oji rolls it around for a moment, then just chews on it – which it is not made to take.

I do think it is possible to have too many toys. It's not so much a problem if you don't leave them out. I don't leave any toys out. They are brought out and put away when done.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Oh man! That large, thick Nylabone I mentioned has been honed down to a sort of wedge-like point. So it's not only spikey with the shreds, but it's like something I could pick up and stab or slash an intruder with. :eeeeek:

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Awesome! I love dog toys too! Definitely rotate the toys to avoid boredom. Kaiser has a custom closet set up for his toys lol, I sort them by color in same color containers so I can find it easier later on. I call his closet the Apple Store :spit:

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Lizbeli

So far I have been seperating them by type. Rubber chews, bones, tugs, plush toys. He wont get anything unsupervised. But our LL Bean slippers seem to be the best toys so far. Haha

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

When our children were small, I used to do that with them too. ;) I would take something out that had been put away for months and, OMG, it was like Christmas again! :spit:

Hell, I do it myself when I clean out a cabinet!

"Wow, I forgot I HAD this! Yippie!"

:D

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1