1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Studs!!!!!

Discussion in 'Doberman Breeders' started by Lord, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Lord

Lord Jr Member

Best, interesting and offsprings.....

2. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I don't understand your post...
    Are you asking to see pictures of people's stud dogs?

3. MLR

MLR Novitiate

Yes, what do you mean?

4. Lord

Lord Jr Member

In europe we have topics of each stud famous stud seperate. We have pictures titles, work results, evaluations sometimes of judges, and of course information about offspring if we know. this is what i am asking. For example u have trotyl here.

5. Lord

Lord Jr Member

And everyone is afraid to talk? Or u just don;t care about the breeding? I have always see written "oh he is great, oh she is a beaty". I have heard this about my dog too. I don't know if people mean it. I don't think so. Anyways. It is your game

6. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

Lord if i say a dog looks good or he is gorgeous i mean it and i'm sure the other one on here do the same, no need to lie or beat around the bush :)
    but on this side, we are not crazy like the other ones, whos first question is, who is the breeder, first we care about the dog and if we are interessted to find out who was the breeder we'll ask and we'll ask who the parents were. :)
    and if you ask me, gezzzzzzzzzzzz there are so many lines out there, that you get confuse with the time, i do thats for sure. for me is important i get my pup from a good breeder and its healthy and the parents are too, but me personal don't care if i have a big name dog in the pedigree, like Fedor del Nasi or who its out there right now :D
    i know there are people what study pedigrees like no matter what, just to show off and to look like they are very knowligable ( sp), but they are not really. so i don't know, if you find a lot of people here, who know all those big named stud dogs and their offsprings, maybe, i don't know ;)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Lord

Lord Jr Member

I didn't think u were saying something u didn't mean. But there are people with great knowledge that study because this is what they need to do to breed. More important is to study and get active than other things. For example healthy yes? Ok lets say u do everything under the sun on health testing. U mate ur bitch to a fantastic male and i get a pup that 2 years from now has a serious illness. All these because u didn't study the pedigree. If the dog has some thyroid problem or cant see very good is unfortunate but not the issue. The issue would be the character and the conformation.

Thats y in this breed we need to work as much as possible. A dog that works wont probably live to make it to be a stud if he would have DCM. so that would be a natural selection in a sense. On a champion on the other hand that has been on holder but never had the stress and tension can carry a heart problem u wouldn't know just because he was never under stress. Of course what i am saying is a bit too much and i know. but the truth is somewhere between. The safest choise someone could make would be to use old studs.

8. swiftK9s

swiftK9s Hot Topics Subscriber

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..." Personally, when I tell someone their dog looks beautiful.. I mean to me, in my eyes. I'm no expert. I dont know anything about conformation, except what I read on AKC. I wouldn't know a perfect gait if I saw it. I dont care what someone's lines are..15 champions in your line... what does that mean? If your dog hasn't achieved a title, he's just like every other untitled dog, no matter how many champions or titled dogs in his line... thats just my opinion.
    But then what do I know...my first two priorities in looking for puppy was a good temperment and good health. Even then, I take my chances and just hope for a happy little puppy to share my life with and it'll be ok with me if his gait is a little off or his ears stick out. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lord

Lord Jr Member

And what u are saying is true. Everything of what u say. but just remember. If u want a Dobermann that means u want it all in a dog!!! Beauty and work, conformation and character. And health like any breed or mix.

10. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

i think we do not have so many breeders on here or not that i know of, sure you are right with the testing,but i think it gets old with all those big named studs, they get breed over and over and over again and there isn't almost one line were you don't find them in. its time to give some newer good dogs a chance too and nothing its hundred prozent in this world, i saw dobe's dieing very young and they came from those great names pedigree's and all the health testing were done. so if its time to get another dobe, i kow where i'll get it from, i know that the parents were health tested and the breeder did the best and you can be sure it wont be one of the super super champions breeder. i would give a younger new breeder a better chance, then one of the others.i will look at the dogs and if i like what i see,then i think to get one. in germany you say "Namen sind shall und rauch" means names mean nothing, the result its important ;)

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Cathy i couldn't have say it better ;)

i can title every dog, no matter which line is his backround, if i work hard enough and not every dog what has the huge pedigree in his abckround,make it through the showring. health and temperament are important, everthing else you can work on ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lord

Lord Jr Member

U are right. but u cant just breed for fun, u are suppose to breed with the best to get a better result. New blood yes but they have to have something done.

12. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

yes and that will be proved with what they acomplished, dosenmatter in shutzhund, agillity, rally or conformation ;) not because they got that huge champion pedigree in the backround ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lord

Lord Jr Member

Yes but only conformation AND work (shutzhund, ipo, ztp, korung) not rally agility S&R and making pullovers

14. swiftK9s

Doesnt it depend on what you want the dog for really? Some people with children might not want a dog with the tempermant that might be desired in a Shutzhund dog. Are there many dogs who have won confirmation titles AND Shutzhund titles combined? I only ask because I dont know.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

no Cathy, there arent much what have both or do both, there just a few out there. i know,i'm not born for the conformation ring, thats for sure, but i know i wont do something with Apollo and my next dobe, so i'm more for the Schutzhund part or Obedience and Schutzhund and me personal think, you can work every dog in every sport, if you work hard on it, you might will not make it to the top 20, but i'm sure, you can title every dog earlyer or later ;) and on the end the title will count and not if you needed 5 month or 2 years to get it :) like at school, nobody ask you how you graduated, they always will ask IF you graduated :D:p;) and like i said some kids are very good in sport and others better in math, thats in the dogworld too, some are better in sports and some are better in showing ;) and you only find a few what do it all, LOL, i was suck in math,BTW, but very good in sports LMAO :p

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lord

Lord Jr Member

In Europe u need to do both. That doesnt mean u need to be the world champion in both or any. Just if u have good conformation and work ability then u can mate. Also character testing.

People with small kids with no experience shouldn't get a Dobermann in the first place. And this is what should be done. Not to take the soul out of the dog but not to give the dog to the wrong hands.

• Like Like x 1
  17. swiftK9s

LOL.. you and me both Tina!

18. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

hey i still show my 21 year old stepson and my 16 year old step daughter how to do it,hehehe....:D
    just the other night, she ask me if i could do a summersault (sp), sure i do and if its not enough i showed her and showed her a headstand too LMAO :D;) :sucker::D

19. MLR

MLR Novitiate

I think what Tina and the others are saying here is that this isn't a breeder's site, Lord. This is a place where anyone can come and talk about their dobe without fear of reprisal. In case you haven't noticed by now, most of our dobes are spayed or neutered, or will be soon. There are many other places in cyberspace where the members compete; this isn't one of them. We're all here to have a relaxed good time or help each other with various behavior and/or health problems. Or just to brag about our dobe babies. While all of the things you mention are indeed important to the future of the breed, it doesn't consume us. We tend to focus on the here and now if you know what I mean.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Ok, no other way to say this other than outright....

There are MANY here that do compete with their Dobes (and other breeds) in various venues and events, several breeders, and I do believe this forum is for ALL aspects of the breed which includes breeding (which also includes pedigrees and stud dogs). No, maybe not everyone is interested in pedigree health & longevity beyond meeting the parents of one's next potential pup, but some are.

I do research and watch pedigrees, who's producing what and how the offspring are developing and doing in the breed ring.
    20 yrs ago, I searched for 6 yrs before I found my female. Looked at a dozens of litters before I found her. A breeder that knew about the dogs beyond just the parents.

I'd give a new breeder a chance if and only if they had a mentor that has been involved with the breed for a very long time. If not, I'd go with a veteran breeder with proven health, temperment, longevity and yes conformation (because they've bred selectively to produce such) over a new comer any day! I waited 3 yrs for my boy Hawk after knowing the breeder for 3 1/2 yrs.

If some breeders would look at the "there and then", maybe we wouldn't have as many issues in the breed.

• Like Like x 4