Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Status post posting shaking.....grrrr

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by luckybeemer, Nov 7, 2019 at 9:32 PM.

1. luckybeemer

luckybeemer Jr Member

This is making me beyond bonkers.....I thought I was doing really well with the ear posting until last week. I posted on Friday, by Sunday evening I noticed she started shaking. Thinking she would be fine until Monday am, now realizing I should have taken them out immediately. So Monday am, I removed the post and noticed sores and raw areas on both ears. So against my better judgment and after mutiple attempts with gauze, I left the posts out until today. I posted several times today and every time I did she shook her head nonstop. I twisted the post down and pulled ear taught, but all to no avail. Sorry I guess I just needed to vent. She is only 5 months, I think she still has baby molars and is really pushing her limits with the hissy fits when crated during the day. Ears seemed to stand most all the time during the "down time". Now she would lay them flat at times and I could see a bend or crease so I knew I needed get posts back in asap. And I had originally planned to post them until she is at least till 8 months......but will I ever make it to that marker?

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  2. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

It's tough isn't it?

Seems that irritation is making things difficult. I ran into irritation problems with Oji where a clear moisture was being produced (from duct tape in contact with skin inside ear?). I was very fortunate in that when I stopped posting because of that, he was good to go. H eas about 6 or 7 months old. I don't remember exactly.

Seems you need to find a way to get those ears up while letting the irritation heal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

I never used duct tape as support but rather zip ties (they were completely covered by backtape and always facing on the outerside of the ear. I also tapered(wedge) the bottom of the backer rod and covered it with light cotton or double tissue for more comport.

If the base is solid, there’s a way to do half posts - I never had to do them but there’s a link on here somewhere with instructions. Maybe something to consider.

4. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

5. Logan 45

Logan 45 Jr Member

The paper towel method is a little less harsh. And you can make them plenty ridgid just with back taping

6. Kimberlyst

Kimberlyst New Member

Posting is the worst.... ugh!! My girl starts that head shaking too. She pretty much starts it right after I’m done. She is 6 months. I think she does it to get the part that is in her ear out and when that happens of course I have to take them down and do it again because then the ear starts leaning in. She can hold them up perfectly straight when she is outside but inside not so much. I know the end is in sight but man it’s a pain!!!!!

7. luckybeemer

luckybeemer Jr Member

Thank you all. So, I finally got posts in Friday after I believe 4 attempts. We camped this weekend and she shook several times thru out the weekend. But the posts never popped out like they usually do minutes after I post them. But I didnt want to risk irritation so I decided to take them out this am and leave them out for the 1.5 hour ride home. Once home and settled, I got everything ready and set out at reposting. Well, after she shook the first one out. I took it down and reposted it only to have her shake out the other one. Grrrrr.....so after the 2nd unsuccessful attempt, I got my phone out and followed the above mentioned alternative method thank you JanS. Unfortunately I didn't have any molefoam so that was the only thing I did not include. She shook a few times after posting them. And I am praying this holds thru the night and works. She is so unhappy with me tho. When the post are out, she can hold and keep them up most of the time, but she is only 5 months, therefore I don't want to risk it any more than I have during the times to let the irritation heal. I don't think she has completed her teething stage just yet. And she sometimes lays them flat like airplane wings. When they are finished competely all cartilage hardened, will they always stand tall and erect? Will I be able to feel a difference in the cartilage?
    I do apologize for being that problem, nagging new doberman owner. I am just fearly of failing her and hearing so many people say," I told you so, you were in over your head, you can't handle a doberman"

Attached Files:

8. Logan 45

Logan 45 Jr Member

I just finished posting my female pup but she is 6 months and has a shorter crop. But at least you look like you got it figured out. If need be I can help you with paper towel posts it’s not as popular as the backer rod method but I posted my male that way and my female was half backer rod half paper towel.