• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Starting agility training

PandoraB

Hot Topics Subscriber
Luna is starting agility training on Monday and I'm wondering how well she will do with her inconsistent recall? She is doing much better with recall in a regular situation but is still not great when she's excited (like when we first get to the dog park) or she perceives a threat (like when the UPS man is standing on our front step).

Luna loves to play with other dogs and when we first get to the dog park she has to check everyone out and find her friends to play. During this period I have a hard time sometimes getting her to come to me. She's getting better with age. She just turned 1.

I've never done agility before so I'm unsure how much this will be a problem?

Since she'll be on a lead for a while it's not too big of a deal imo. Just keep working on her recall when there are distractions. The recall is most helpful when learning the tunnels and chute because they cant see you.

Make sure you can catch her even if she doesnt come to you in case she does run off.

Does she like to play with toys or is she more food motivated?

Luna is definitely food motivated over toys. She does love her balls though - I could throw a ball for her for hours on end and she wouldn't stop! lol

My last agility dog was very toy motivated. It only took him about a month before he was off lead because he really enjoyed all the parts, except the weave poles. He was the slowest weaving dog ever.... LOL

Back