Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Spiked collars

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Dogdoc, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Dogdoc

Dogdoc New Member

Just a random thought - I see so many photos of dobes and other “tough” breeds with big spiked collars on. They look cool, but how in the world do you not get jabbed, scarred, and otherwise maimed by those spikes?!? I can’t imagine the scars I would have just from Taser running past me when he gets in his crazy moods - the spikes would for sure catch my legs and take me out :). Also, just grabbing the collar can not be comfortable, not to mention
    Cuddle time.... Again, just a random thought LOL 286E07DA-F5C6-49FB-B332-D29F5FB168D1.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Wow x 1
  2. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

That’s a good picture.

I always wanted to get a spiked collar but found out early it would be way overdone.....Ragnar already gets the looks from people with a regular flat collar.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Spiked collars are a tough guy macho thing. You see a lot of those on Pitbulls and other bully breeds. They are supposed to stop other dogs from biting your dog around the neck if a dog fight was to happen.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

Rubie has collars I put on her for when we're out and about (one with stones and one with white leather). If a spiked collar suits you, I wouldn't leave it on as a daily collar but keep it for 'special outings.'

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I would only use a spiked collar if I was worried about my dog getting bit but we don’t go to dog parks and really only interact with familiar dogs, so haven’t needed to buy one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Guess I’m a tough macho guy ahhha. I got one cause I liked them and thought they were cute, I know.. spiked collar “cute”? My idea of cute is definitely not the norm I guess. Maybe it’s my scene/punk phase I had in highschool coming back to haunt me.
    Definitely not an everyday collar though

And a side note: it does indeed hurt like hell when they run between your legs lol

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  7. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

lol. I got a small size one in red for my cat. My main computer has died or I would post a picture. I'm barely surviving on this old iPad. I don't know how you young whipper snappers can do these touch pads. I digress. My black cat looks super in a red spiked collar, but it is only for special occasions.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. mshipway

mshipway Jr Member

I used one as Argo's first collar, it sort of helped distract from the taped ears a bit, but since he has graduated to a few different collars, a Leather one, a Tactipup tactical one, and a nylon one for other times.
    But i never got poked, cut or bothered by the spikes when he was young

9. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I do have spiked collars for both of our dogs and they are for a purpose. They don't wear them often and it's not a "tough dog" thing but we have a lot of wolves in the area and it's a good deterrent since they'll usually go for the neck first in an attack. If we know they're in the immediate area, I will put them on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Rodyboy

Rodyboy Jr Member

They do have a purpose don't they?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Skatchkeb

Skatchkeb Member

Tanks gotta spiked leather 3 inch wide collar. I have him wear it in the truck and at horse shows (on leash). So many people are already intimidated by dobermans, I didnt get a border collie... so yeah I jack up the intimidation factor, stay the hell away from my truck. But otherwise no, he cant run around or play with it on. Danger to himself and everyone and anything.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Skatchkeb

Skatchkeb Member

I wanted to have a dog that scared the hell out of people but really just wanted to say hi and play with them.

13. Dogdoc

Dogdoc New Member

I guess I never thought of spiked collars as having a purpose - I always just thought of them as a “ fashion accessory “. Thanks for the info!

14. Dogdoc

Dogdoc New Member

That’s a good “definition” of a dobe!:)

15. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

The spikes are not really sharp. I've had one. IMO, no other breed can pull off the look as well!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That's the main purpose, aside from giving a badass look! ;)

Like this design for a small dogs defense against coyotes!

As seen on Shark Tank.
    20190513_101709.jpg 20190513_101711.jpg 20190513_102618.jpg

It also had a remote that sent a shock like an ecollar to the attacker.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow x 1
  17. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

It's funny, but I didn't really think of spiked collars being for the dog's protection. I mean, I knew about the war dogs of antiquity being depicted with long spikes on their collars, but I guess I didn't make the link to modern day. No, I just thought it was all about the look. Man, I need to get a spiked collar again!