Sores from Posts?

Ramos.cindy

Jr Member
we tried backer rod and turbot glue we tried just taping them and we tired mole foam can you please help me out my boy seems to always have a cut or soar from posting idk what to do anymore

Attachments

• 911D7D92-BAB9-4526-8781-B83258DCA2A2.jpeg
    911D7D92-BAB9-4526-8781-B83258DCA2A2.jpeg
    325.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 7D44FCD3-9F33-4E1C-A659-DF47CDC30E3B.jpeg
    7D44FCD3-9F33-4E1C-A659-DF47CDC30E3B.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 45
  • B55236DD-C7D5-418F-9BC3-6ED5F0DABC59.jpeg
    B55236DD-C7D5-418F-9BC3-6ED5F0DABC59.jpeg
    290 KB · Views: 45
Where is the cut or sore?

If it is at the post bottom where it inserts deep into the bell, you can wrap the bottom of the post in something like gauze to cushion it (a large enough piece that it won't stand a chance of getting deposited down into the ear canal – not that I've heard of that happening. Just theorizing.)

Are the sores happening on the inside, or the outside of the ear?

Cleaning the ear well before applying posts or tape to them is key. Letting the ears breathe by using as little tape as possible is a big help.

I guess we need more information, and maybe specific pictures in order to help.

Have you tried to reach out locally to find someone with posting experience? Or perhaps you can make a video of your posting process so the members here with more experience can look at what you are doing and give you the best advice. I’m sure this is getting frustrating for you and your pup. I hope someone can help.

Also, I have never tried glue but wanted to make sure you are using an adhesive remover like unisolve. That last pic looks a bit rough to me. Were the red sores there before you posted?

Really, I've never used adhesive. Always seemed too much work and too much mess for me. I did bring Oji home with adhesive on his set-up. The breeder told me to use Goo Gone to remove it, which worked, but which also deposited a very greasy film over everything. I had to then employ rubbing alcohol to get that off.

I know that posting can work without adhesive. Perhaps you can try it. Just backtape and do every thing else correctly and you will succeed.

If you have raw spots, place the tapes in slightly different spots until those raw spots heal.

I think at this point it would be benefical to take a video of posting one of his ears or step by step pictures. Even a picture of what the posts look like before they go into the ears would help.

You dont need that much tape around the ears. If they aren't staying in it is because they arent seated completely. Maybe try cutting the backerrod at an angle on the end that sits in the ear. Maybe that part is too thick and won't allow the post to seat properly, so it pops out on you.

With the glue it just takes a thin amount on the post. Doesnt need to be caked on for it to work. You can even put a small amount on the ear for extra measure (litterally just a single swipe with the brush).

I just used backer rod with back rapped tape on it and 3 pieces of tape around the ears. There is a ton of info on how to post here on DCF and there are also some great videos on youtube. Try not to put any tape in the area of the sores so that they can heal. It is possible that he is having a reaction to the glue or the type of tape you are using. His ears may just be very sensitive.

Really, I've never used adhesive. Always seemed too much work and too much mess for me.

Exactly! I had some on hand with Rumor just in case. I did it try it once. Rue was having some sort of strange reaction to what I'm assuming was the tape. I resorted to paper tape and was concerned it might need some help. I tried the adhesive once. It was a sticky gooey mess.......NO MORE!

It is possible that he is having a reaction to the glue

A real possibility! I found that with Rumor. Once I switched to paper tape (just 2 pieces) problem solved!

Also, I have never tried glue but wanted to make sure you are using an adhesive remover like unisolve. That last pic looks a bit rough to me. Were the red sores there before you posted?
no they weren't thats why i'm worried i use the unisolve for the glue

no they weren't thats why i'm worried i use the unisolve for the glue
We used the unisolve as well. It still takes a couple minutes and patience to get it off with the unisolve. Im not trying to be mean but any chance you pulled it before the unisolve did its job? We would start with the unisolve at the edges and slowly work our way in.

Is this after the first time using the torbots? I wonder if they are having some kind of adverse reaction? We did the molefoam method because our boy had a bad reaction to the vet posting him that left sores

We used the unisolve as well. It still takes a couple minutes and patience to get it off with the unisolve. Im not trying to be mean but any chance you pulled it before the unisolve did its job? We would start with the unisolve at the edges and slowly work our way in.

Is this after the first time using the torbots? I wonder if they are having some kind of adverse reaction? We did the molefoam method because our boy had a bad reaction to the vet posting him that left sores
this was after the second time i let the unisolve set for a min then apply it again before taking the post it's self off

this was after the second time i let the unisolve set for a min then apply it again before taking the post it's self off
Did the posts remove easily after you soaked with unisolve? If so, I would suspect either an adverse reaction to the glue or unisolve or tape you are using. Are her ears dry when you start posting? I wouldn’t post her up again until that is healed personally but someone else may feel differently.

Back