1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Something is wrong with our boy

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by Crawford623, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Crawford623

Crawford623 Lurking Member

hello new here, we have a 9 almost 10 year old male Doberman. The last three months he has gone downhill. We have taken him to the vet and all bloodwork is normal, but he is very ill. His symptoms are weight loss normal weighs 75 lbs he is down to 66 lbs. he looks like skin and bones. He seems to be in pain, favors his front left leg. Has had reoccurring UTIs, the vets did an abdominal ultrasound and didn’t find anything. He just lays in his bed and won’t even get up or pick his head up to look at us. He will get up to go outside when the door opens but he just doesn’t get excited anymore at all. It’s just Not like him at all!!!! So the vet said they are stumped and we’re doing a trial with some meds: prednisone, amoxicillin, zeniquin, and doxycycline, and Pepcid for steroids. He has had two days on the meds. I have seen a big difference in his behavior he is more spunky but not 100% like he used to be... also noticed he is getting up better not so stiff and no yelping when getting up... not sure what I am trying to ask... but maybe has anyone been through this? Any ideas on what it could be? Any info on what to expect? I hate to see him like this! Tia!

• Empathetic Empathetic x 13
  2. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

I'm not sure but there are a lot of members on here with a lot of knowledge who I'm sure will chime in.

Do you know what they tested him for when they the blood work tests? Anything specific? Eating and going potty ok?

3. Crawford623

They did a full work up on blood they said and checked for tick borne illness, they did so much I really don’t know what all they did... but they did a differential and said something was abnormal with his blood cells but they never told me what... and they haven’t been concerned about that part... he’s eating good! I have been feeding him constantly to try to get weight to stay on him.. he is good pottying... he is intact.. and might be too old to neuter the vet recommended neutering him when he’s in better shape.. so his prostate was enlarged and symmetrical but has some abnormality not sure what that means... I have to bring him for a follow up in a week, I just wish we knew what was causing all this! He’s still favoring his leg not as much since the prednisone...

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  4. Crawford623

Vet did a body condition rating and he is a 2!!!! He’s so skinny!

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  5. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Significant weight loss and still eating all his meals? Or loss of appetite leading to reduced weight?

Separate thought:
    From all the threads I have read about Doberman illness, thyroid issues, such as hypothyroidism/hyperthyroidism, seem to be a main culprit for MANY maladies.

Vet do a thyroid panel?

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Have you checked every joint for pain? Can you tell if his spine is having pain?

• Like Like x 1
  7. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

So sorry he's going through this. I agree that a thyroid panel would be in order, if the vet didn't already do one.

8. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

If he is that much underweight I would try and feed him anything that he will eat.
    You can try Chicken or Beef Bone Broth. Depending on where you live some of the smaller pet food stores have pre made.

In the event he will not eat. Get some good quality canned food you can force feed him by mouth. Just get a catheter syringe, thin down the canned food with warm water or even the bone broth. Then place in the back corner of his mouth and slowly feed him.
    Also maybe a second opinion from a different Vet??

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Crawford623

He is eating on his own.. he acts like he’s starving he eats so much!i have been feeding him as much as he will eat! The thyroid I will have to ask if they ran one... I know they charged almost 300 dollars just in bloodwork stuff... thank you and I will keep y’all posted

10. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

We just paid $200 for thyroid work in Chicago area so doubtful :( should look into pet insurance before they diagnose something if you don't have it already. Usually takes 14 days for coverage to kick in. Hope you can figure it out! Feels so helpless when they're in pain and you don't know why...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I like Oji’s thoughts on checking his joints and spine.

I have read a couple of posts in which Dobermans had nerve impingement and/or spinal cord issues. Not too long ago, a member’s Doberman jumped and hurts his back pretty bad.

It would explain why he is feeling better after getting prednisone and steroids.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bulldobe

bulldobe New Member

hi- my doberman is roughly the same age as yours and is going through similar. how is your baby now? what was the diagnosis?

13. Crawford623

Our Doberman is still skinny, he is a lot better, the vet has kept him on the steroids for months, we tested for a lot of things, nothing came back with an answer... they think lymphoma so the prednisone is helping... He seems happy so we’re just continuing...

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  14. bulldobe

bulldobe New Member

what is his current weight?

15. Crawford623

He was 67 lbs at his last check, the lowest he got was 66 lbs, he used to stay average about 74 lbs...

16. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Check liver function

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I would have them do a T3 T4 and look at the liver for possible copper storage. The symptoms he is displaying show up in a lot of the diseases. Have they checked him for DCM?
    Did they do any xrays of his limbs or abdomen, thorax?

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

19. bulldobe

bulldobe New Member

our situation did not have a happy ending. wishing a better result for anyone who comes across this. We took bull to the vet to have bloodwork for thyroid and dcm- The vet did an exam and took him for ultrasound. he had an extremely aggressive and fast moving liver cancer. the vet said he could give us different medicines to make him eat, make him sleep, give him energy, make him not nauseous but that his liver was failing fast. he said Bull wasnt in pain at this moment but there was no gaurentees when it would turn that way. He said with the medicines we could get maybe another week or two. He gave us the option to put him down saying he thinks it would be fair. it killed us as this was NOT in our thoughts at all of what was going to happen that day. its been almost 3 weeks. the house feels so wrong without a dog in it. we miss him terribly.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 14
  20. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I am so very sorry for your loss. That’s a pain that never leaves your heart but you did what was best for him and that is the ultimate form of love you could give him.
    Run free Bull. RIP :sorrow:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1