Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Sleep Schedule

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by RexsMom, Sep 13, 2020.

1. RexsMom

RexsMom Member

Hi everyone!
    I had seen other thread like this before, but wanting to see if there is any other Dobies like Rex with a similar schedule because I feel he sleeps A LOT for a Dobie.
    We get up at about 9:30AM and go for our morning walk. Depending on the weather, we can walk anywhere from 15 mins to an hour. Then we get home, I’ll water the plants in the yard then we go inside.
    He will then go straight to the couch, and just lounge as I do some cleaning & make breakfast. I don’t think he falls fully asleep as he knows he will get to eat soon while I wait for his stomach to settle to avoid bloat 45 mins later. I always feed him out of puzzle toys for mental exercise.
    Then he’s asleep for about 4 hours Then wake up because it’s time for walk #2 around 5:00PM. Repeat with the 15-60 mins.
    We get home, and I’ll play for about 15 mins in the yard with him. Then it’s time for 15 mins of mental stimulation training.
    Then he’ll lay at the window not fully asleep because the neighbourhood is super active at that time for guard duty. As he considers kids riding their bikes as guard duty.
    Finally out for the night around 6:30PM, but gets up for food at 10:30PM and a few times to switch if he wants to switch laying with his mom or dad!
    I should note I work from home, so he is NEVER created as I get my work done while he just sleeps.

I’d say he gets about 20 hours of sleep a day for a 2 year old. When he was about 1 it was a totally different story!

2. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Between about 1:30 and 3ish....
    21D3671D-8436-4464-BCAC-3E511F4ED791.jpeg 2ED3B9BB-BA9F-4DDA-AFB9-E182EFC74F89.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gelcoater

3:06pm...
    Awake just enough to know I’m looking at her.:rolleyes:
    3797C369-C0F3-4143-AEEB-24BF713F5985.jpeg
    Him too.
    F845D52B-BFA8-4DAD-914F-1E58C86FCB0A.jpeg

But if I say hey! Get em!
    :dobe::dobe:!!!!
    C4F803CF-510F-4C1D-87B7-7635A592422F.jpeg
    Because sometimes?
    That old dude that feeds us, spotted something we missed! :cool:
    3D231F79-FBF3-4BFA-A42B-091A618F4871.jpeg

:evilgrin::evilgrin:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AnnV

AnnV $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Bedja is 19 months old and sleeps around 10 hours between bedtime and getting up in the morning.
    Then he relaxes/sleeps on and off around 6 hours during the day more or less depending on what's going on. Also working from home here. I think after 18 months it is probably just a good sign of them being relaxed and comfortable in their surroundings.
    Though he wouldn't be as relaxed if he didn't get to run, walk, sniff for minimum 45 minutes twice daily.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gelcoater

The younger ones are all on!!!!
    Or all off.!
    Rocky, at almost 9 years now, has tuned himself to a level of on, all day minus the 2pm nap, Millie the young one will go like gang busters for a time, but then wanders off for a nap.
    Rocky maintains a fairly level constant.lol

6. RexsMom

RexsMom Member

Yes Rex is definitely super active if we’re out and about! If I bring him to my someone’s house he could run around and play with everyone all day. But once we’re home the off switch hits! Thank goodness haha.
    I noticed 18 months was when I could could trust him relaxing around the house alone and “slowed down”. He still gets crated whenever I leave, although I don’t think he needs to, and never have left him for more than 4 hours. More for peace of mind.
    And he definitely will misbehave and not relax if I don’t meet his exercise requirements. It still frustrates me every time I watch those tv shows about dog training (Cesar, It’s me or the dog, etc) and the Doberman is “out of control” when they really just don’t get exercise. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Jasper has a ton of energy and can literally run around my parents yard for 7+ hrs without laying down. However, on a normal day if I can give him 20mins of hard exercise like the flirt pole or the chuck it (where he is panting and tired) he is well behaved in the house and takes naps throughout the day.

There have been days where I am busy in the house and he chills all day. In and out of sleepy land. I bet he could sleep a good 6hrs in the daytime if I left him alone. I am very thankful to have a dog with an off switch.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

At 1 year old, I'm still waiting for the off switch. Actually Asha is pretty good, will sleep/rest in her X-pen bed while in the house, but if she's loose in the house she wants to pester & do something. Anytime she gets too much in the way I tell her to "hit the hole" command for going to bed in the X-pen. Then she lays down and is quiet.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Really, I am not sure Blaze ever sleeps, maybe at night when we sleep. During the day he is always awake when I check on him. The others will crash on a rug, the couch a chair but Blaze is always going never stops always wanting me to fight with him. :facepalm:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. AnnV

AnnV $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Same here, whenever I check on him - no matter the time - he is always awake, so humans may assume they sleep when we don't check on them haha. Of course they don't read books or watch movies so when they are bored they may just pretend to be sleeping, lol.

11. PhilT

PhilT $ Premium Subscriber $

All three we've had didn't stop all day after they got to about 15 months wanted to be involved all day and if you didn't engage they would start in on their toys when bored with that would expect to be out on walks King only slowed down some after his cancer scare in August 2019 when he had a growth removed and castrated due to growth on his testicles but still only wanted an hour or so half way through the day changed a lot now with DCM will nap two or three times aday and goes to sleep for the night about 9pm

12. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Wow, when you put it that way – 20 hrs. of sleep per day – it is amazing!

I've long been amazed, though, just how much we expect dogs to just lay there; and most of the time they're laying, they're sleeping.

I'll have to try to tally up Oji's hours. For a working Dobe, I have marveled at just how much, like I said, that we have gotten him accustomed to laying around because we have nothing for him to do.

There's another topic: What you have your Dobe accustomed to. I know Oji could do a lot more, but he knows what to expect and unfortunately for him, it's not me devoting a lot of time to him. I think he's got a pretty good life though, and I make sure he gets good exercise.

• Like Like x 1
  13. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

Rubie will be 5 in December so a bit older but she gets up to go potty in the AM and then she will disappear upstairs on our bed until... well, she'd probably say up there sleeping all day if Moose wasn't down here wandering about.

Up until about a year ago, her routine was to be crated in the AM, break at lunch, and then crated in the afternoon while we were at work. I think she's pretty much maintained her sleeping routine based on years of being crated during the day. And if it's raining or when the temps drop below 50F? She leaves the bed even less :rolleyes:

Moose (my 2.5 yr old lab) is my velcro dog. He has to know what everyone is doing at all times and is always very near me.

Both of them will gladly go hard all day though, given the chance. When we go camping, they're both pretty much up and about all day and sleep HARD at night.

14. RexsMom

RexsMom Member

My boyfriend and I are huge couch potatoes when we have the time, but one of the reasons I bought a Dobie was motivation to get off my butt. :wacky:
    Working from home, not being a social person, & not being able to do much in general due to a medical condition really takes a toll mentally. Adding an active dog into my life was one of the best things I’ve ever done.
    It’s mandatory that his needs come before mine personally. I exercise about 2 hours a day, we are well known in the neighbourhood now because EVERYONE always wants to say “Hi Rex!!” (Majority don’t even know my name :woot2:), and then the sleepy snuggles you get to cherish more. :)
    Active dogs are the way to go!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Funny/Not Funny. I totally get it though.

16. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Ours have always been good sleepers, except Boris who would never close his eyes and give up until he couldn't keep them open anymore.

Phoebe just does what Albert does so she sleeps all night, gets up for breakfast and a potty break, then sleeps for a couple more hours. Repeat that for the whole day. I would say she's up and playing hard for about 5 or 6 hours throughout the whole day.