Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Skin issue on back of neck.

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by C908, Jun 12, 2019.

1. C908

C908 Member

I know I have mentioned this before but I'm at a loss on what to do. There are no sores just this patchy area with hair loss. Thinking about trying some udder butter. Other than thyroid testing any other ideas? Thanks.

Attached Files:

• Empathetic Empathetic x 3
  2. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

It looks like seborrhea sicca. It can be primary or secondary. With secondary it is classed as idiopathic because they don’t know the cause of it.

The signs of seborrhea are many and I think you have ruled out many of those from the vets testing your dobe.

A couple to look at is Thyroid and Cushings
    Also hormonal.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. C908

C908 Member

Any suggestions on how I can treat this ?

4. C908

C908 Member

I thought this was probably connected to his allergy problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. C908

C908 Member

Took Preacher to the vet today. Dr. said all his issues are allergy related. He was put on cephelexin for 3 wks and medicated baths twice a week. I had them do a thyroid test just so I would know if there is a problem. She said it was doubtful he has a thyroid problem being only 16 months old.

6. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I really hope this new drug works out. I wonder if you should try just the meds at first and only introduce the medicated baths later? That way you can tell what worked.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  7. Tropicalbri's

With skin conditions you have to do the medicated baths to prevent bacterial and fungal infections caused by scaly sloughing skin. You don’t want that staying on the dog.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. C908

C908 Member

The cephelexin is just an antibiotic.

9. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Ah so they both work together. Got it.

10. Tropicalbri's

We have started using cefpodoxime for skin issues instead of the broad spectrum keflex (Cephalexin). It’s a one time a day dose instead of BID.
    From the results i’ve observed using cefpodoxime, it seems to do a better and quicker job as it’s only prescribed for 5 days unlike Cephalexin that is given bid x 7-10-14 days. Also using Vetericyn spray directly on the affected areas after bathing with medicated shampoo.

11. C908

C908 Member

Thank you for that information I greatly appreciate it. Here is the latest from the vet, just received a message Preachers thyroid results just came back and everything is normal.She said all of his issues on the neck and chin are allergy related. His calluses on elbows and ankles are from laying on hard surfaces like wood deck and concrete. Yesterday she called him a special needs dog, I don't think of him that way. Another vet I spoke to on the phone said if any of her personal dogs develop skin problems she is just going to euthanize them. I won't be talking to that vet again.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 3
  12. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

:eek: Shocking!

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Tropicalbri's

Whoa!! That person should NOT be a vet. I mean my gosh who does that.:mad:
    My two get the calloused areas on elbows, hocks etc. and I just purchased Musher’s Secret a few weeks ago. I got the 1lb jar and I use it on the pressure points where callouses are as well as the pads of their paws. It has really helped to decrease the dry, rough calloused areas. Might be something you could try to help with those areas. It only takes a small amount massaged in.
    What type medicated shampoo did they dispense for Preacher?
    EF419DCB-4ED6-410E-8B96-6272998D91BA.jpeg 41F85FC0-9E2F-4145-B3BE-750FA73C63C5.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  14. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

The chin acne seems to be least worrisome thing going on.

I know many of us have mentioned this before but I have read about a lot of dogs that are sensitive to household allergens that are easily overlooked. Detergents, candles, anything scented. Its easy to overlook something you’ve used for years without any issue. I would just follow the dog around and consider everything he touches. You just never know what obvious item is irritating him.

15. C908

C908 Member

I actually just purchased an 8 oz tin of Bag Balm. I will see how it does, seems to be highly rated. If I'm not satisfied with it I will see about Mushers Secret. As for the shampoo the vet prescribed Vetoquinol BPO-3. When I place my next food order with Pet Flow I may order a bottle of Tropiclean Oxymed Medicated Oatmeal Shampoo.

• Like Like x 1
  16. C908

C908 Member

This is a small town country vet that is 30 miles from my house. They get lots of good reviews but I think a big part of that is because their prices are cheap. They only charge $20.00 for an office visit and don't take appointments. My regular vet charges $46.00 for an office visit and you must have an appointment.

17. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Jr Member

Yes on this, and add to it all the toys they chew and man-made fuzzy fabric beds that are basically made of petroleum products. Ugh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Tropicalbri's

My last girl was allergic to the kapok. Most people don’t realize how much of an allergy inducing fiber it is. They process and use the fibers from the Kapok tree to use as the cotton type filling in dog toys, beds and pillows.
    It’s a tropical tree, we have them done here but they are used extensively all over for the toys and bedding both for humans and animals.

19. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Jr Member

It's good stuff, used it on horses for years for anything skin related. Use it and let us know if it works on your problem! We all love to know what works!

20. C908

C908 Member

This will be a good test for it.

• Like Like x 1