1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Should we abort these puppies?

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by Jeanniet88, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Prushanks

Prushanks Hot Topics Subscriber

Same here.. i agree... confirm pregnancy, do all the health dna testing (if not done) on the mom and the possible dad and take it from there?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That's where I'm at. My heart is saying that I would have never had one of the best dogs I ever had (Queen Goober) but what little logic I have says do we really need more dogs to end up in a shelter?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I think where my opinion comes from is the care the pups will receive once they find homes should they have debilitating health issues

Will the potential buyers or adopters know their background and questionable health before getting the pups?

Will they have the financial means and knowledge to properly care for any health issues the puppies may develop, which their chances of developing are pretty high.

I worry about their quality of life and if the owners will handle the very emotional times when their pup is limited physically.
    Will they be euthanized because one can't afford their care?

It's a whole myriad of questions and emotions as I like you, @GennyB would not have had the most wonderful dog, my Gracie.
    I was often told, that had anyone else taken her she most likely would have been PTS because of all her health issues. She gave me 10 great years with lots of pain to herself but my heart still aches for her. I don't want to experience that emotional pain again watching my heart dog suffer and not be able to fix it.

To think of it in terms of a human baby is a whole other scope.
    My daughter died two days before her third birthday. She had multiply surgeries putting in shunts to drain water from the brain. She had Hydrocephaly, diagnosed at the age of 6mo.
    I would never have aborted her had I known and I had 3 wonderful loving years to love and enjoy her. I would never trade that time with her for anything in this world. She was and still is my entire heart.

I also agree with @Archer that my dogs are my children and I will give everything I have to care for and protect them no matter what. Some people though for whatever reason, are not able to do that and that is my concern for the pups.
    Sorry for the book but just thought I would share why I feel as I do.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  4. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

For sure! I will just quickly add that I def agree there. I think if you know you have a high chance of passing something on that will majorly affect your child's life, that you shouldn't reproduce, same with dogs. But people still do both without care :/

• Agree Agree x 2