1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

She was just a rescue

Discussion in 'Memorials' started by Dobs4ever, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

Today was a very hard day as I put Bailey to sleep. It happened really fast. 2 weeks ago she was running and driving the other dogs nuts. Shouldering up to them and trying to start stuff. What a brat.

She came into my life 6 years ago - Starved, heartworms and skin and bones. She was placed by a friend of mine with a girl in NC and for the first year we got updates and then something went terribly wrong. By the time we found out what was wrong there were 3 dogs who were starved and a bag of bones. I told my friend if she could get them to me I would take them and care for them until there were well and able to go to a good home.

One was an 12 month old champion bred male - he died at 18 months from problems from all the negelect. I thought he had made a full recovery. One of the dogs went to a great family and one was not adoptable because she was very dog dominant and fighting. I brought them all home and promised them that they would never be hungry or cold again.

Paint met Bailey. Due to her early abuse and neglect she was not real trusting of people but she and I came to terms over the years. She was the best dog and when she did really good and I praised her she would really strut her stuff and look at the other dogs as if to say see - I am privileged. She never got use to petting. She would freak out but everyone once in a while she came to me and needed some attention and she always got it.

I often let her just out loose in the front yard (I live in the country) and she never left the yard. It did make her feel special that she could lay out under a tree and soak up the sun. She never failed to make me laugh at her silliness and how often I wish she could have just told me why she saw things the way she did but I know a lot had to do with her past.

The last 2 weeks she started to go downhill. I put her on a round of antibiotics and by Sunday she has stopped eating - then Wed her tummy started to look heavy then big and she started to loose weight since she was not eating. So today I took her in to see Dr. Becker when I took Rayna in for a progestrone test and it was diagnosed as a tumor in her tummy and cancer. So we said goodbye. I cried all the way home. I told her I tried so hard to keep my promise and she was never hungry or cold here. She had freedom to be herself and make her own place in our hearts and she did. RIP Bailey - you will be missed as you carried the great heart and courage of the great Doberman breed. True and loyal til the end.

• Like Like x 13
  2. MicheleM

MicheleM Active Member

I'm so sorry, I lost one of our dogs yesterday, very hard, my thoughts are with you

• Like Like x 4
  3. Rach

Rach Hot Topics Subscriber

Bless.... So sorry for your loss... She sounds like she was a pretty unique and awesome little girl... Run free Miss Bailey

• Like Like x 3
  4. dh8

dh8 Hot Topics Subscriber

So very sorry for your loss. RIP Bailey.

• Like Like x 3
  5. obbanner

obbanner $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

RIP Bailey. Whatever your start, you ended up in a good home. Sorry for your loss, @MichelelM

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

So sorry :( She sounded a lot like my Ladybug. Even a non-affectionate brat can worm her way into your heart.

• Like Like x 2
  7. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I can't help but think about the first time I met Bailey. She just stood there sizing me up. I couldn't help but wonder what she was thinking. I just looked at her and said Hi, pretty girl. Went on about my business meeting the other dogs, all the while Bailey just kept her distance watching me closely. She must have thought she could trust me because it wasn't long until she came up behind me and gave me a tap on the butt. The next day, I fed her and gave her water. As I sat her water bowl down, she walked up to me as if to say, I sure could use some love from you. I stuck my hand out and she walked closer and I stroked her. It was a very special moment for me, to know she trusted me enough to allow me to touch her.
    I will always remember how proud she was to "help with the chores". She just looked so darn pleased with herself when all the dogs were fed and watered. I know you are going to miss your helper Suzan, but know that you gave her the only happiness she ever knew. Thank you for that.

RIP Bailey.

• Like Like x 6
  8. BradysMom

BradysMom Hot Topics Subscriber

:sorrow:So sorry for your loss... RIP sweet Bailey girl!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dobs4ever

Thank you all. I talked to my friend yesterday and told her I was on the way to the vet. Bailey was special. Inspite of her bad experiences she LOVED people she was just untrusting of them after her experience. I know the girls husband did not like the dogs and I know as a puppy she was very confident. It was a long sad journey for 3 dogs that deserved much better. But I loved them all none the less. Bailey especially because she stayed here with me.

My personal opinion is a dog is a dog and there is no companion as great- ALL are special and if they have good owners can do remarkable things. Dobermans are at least 10 steps ahead of all other dogs IMHO and Bailey showed how much they are able to come back and be wonderful companions. As all my dogs do she taught me a lot and all was good. Never once did she strike out at anyone or show any dislike as far as going after anyone. If you could touch her you could have done anything with her and she loved children. The girl had 3 kids and the first year things were good for her.

What made me the maddest is after we found out she was in trouble we tried for 9 months we told her we would take the dogs and help her out but she would not let us have them. Then to finally get them and see their condition made me want to hurt someone. How anyone could have help and sit and watch dogs starve is beyond me. What was really stupid is she talked someone into buying the CH bred male and giving her the papers in her name so the girl was out the money. She is the one who actually went and got the three dogs and then we did a three legged road trip to get them here to me. In 90 days they were back at a good weight, good coats coming in and active and heartworm and worm free.

All you had to do was show Bailey once what you wanted and the she had it. I did not have to leash her (gosh the leash freaked her out completely) except for the once or twice a year when she got a wild hair. On one such excursion she decided to take a trip and took Sniper over to the neighbors house and she had never been there and Sniper certainly hadn't . Sniper was about 6 months old and he thought it was a great adventure. Now I have to really watch him when we are out in the yard together as he will still run over there to check things out before coming back. I have his e collar ready and we are going to have a little lesson on that soon.

Yes Genny how could she not trust you- you have a heart as big as all outdoors and it was great to see Bailey open up ..... She was always true to her great Doberman heritage and I will miss her when doing chores.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Asteria

Asteria Formerly Luca & Co Hot Topics Subscriber

:sorrow::sorrow::sorrow:

• Like Like x 2
  11. watson123

watson123 Active Member

RIP Bailey, Run free!:sorrow:
    I'm so sorry for you loss Suzan!

MicheleM I'm so sorry for your loss.:sorrow:RIP Mr. Laddie!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Judith

Judith Hot Topics Subscriber

oh so sorry Susan it must have been a privilege to have the love and respect of such a wonderful soul, RIP sweet Bailey run free baby.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh, Suzan, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss! So awful when we lose our babies! :*( Bailey spent happy years with you!

Hugs to both you and MicheleM !

RIP

• Like Like x 2
  14. Dobs4ever

Thank you all - I have spent a lot of time thinking about our time together since she came here. You never know where a new relationship will take you - you just go with it. In the beginning you could not get close to her at all as she freaked out. Pottied in her crate which told me she was not out much or taken care of. It took a year and a half to finally get her past that problem. The leash was a whole different matter - she always worked backwards like trying to avoid something getting her from behind.

After a couple years I just let her loose because she showed such a great desire to please. Show her once what you wanted and she would put her head down and rush past you to do what you wanted like please I got it. Then I really praised her and honestly that dog just beamed. I know Genny saw that when she was here. She was so proud of herself. Thank you Bailey for coming into my life and shariing you life with us. May you run free at the rainbow bridge and may you feel completely safe and secure. There will be no more pain. We love you and we miss you.

So when I said she was just a rescue it was to say with all the love we shared that she was special and thank God they don't know that they were rescued. They are just glad to move forward and work with you and help you understand better.

• Like Like x 3
  15. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm so sorry Suzan and I know just how hard it is to lose them. You gave her the best possible life she could have asked for and she'll always be with you and in your heart.

Run free sweet Bailey. :sorrow:

• Like Like x 1
  16. agift4me

agift4me Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh dear, so sorry I missed this post, my condolences. Thank goodness that you were able to show her what love really was.
    :sorrow: R.I.P. Bailey, I pray that your precious soul never experiences any type of abuse ever again.