1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Service Dog Breeders

Discussion in 'Doberman Breeders' started by itsforthenguyen, Nov 22, 2019.

1. itsforthenguyen

itsforthenguyen Novitiate

This question has probably been asked so many times already...but yes, I'm looking for a service dog breeder. I'm looking for an American-type dobie, male. I owner train but I expect to have trainers alongside to mentor and help me (because we all need accountability).

My current dog is 7 years-old. A BYB turned super lucky APBT. She's got cropped ears, 50 lbs. a little too short for mobility work so I'm certain a dobie will be better. I'm used to having a "power breed" out in public so the public perception doesn't really phase me anymore.

She started out in search and rescue (scent work) and was showing lots of promise. Health condition slapped me in the face real hard and her work ethic plummeted. We switched her to service dog work and she took to it amazingly.

I have PTSD and a neuro-endocrine disorder. I was assaulted several times throughout my life (starting from age 3-4 to today), so having a intimidating-looking breed has been a hidden bonus for me. I do hope to keep dobie boy's ear's natural and tail docked, though. Been whipped by my girl's tail enough to know what it can do.

I'm willing to travel to pick up the puppy. I'm also apprehensive about the dog washing out so I'm hoping a breeder would be more than happy to work with me on this?

2. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

What kind of service work would he be performing?

What do you mean when you refer to mobility work?

Welcome from Louisiana.

3. itsforthenguyen

TY. Medical alert and response through scent. Alert and respond to panic attacks. Alert and respond to vertigo. Alert and respond to hormonal spikes. Blocking and light non aggressive protection work. Help balancing up and down stairs. Opening doors. Search or bark for help and bring them back. Ground my senses when in flashbacks. Disrupt self harming. Deep pressure therapy. Disrupt night terrors and help from fighting any bed partners (I punch and kick in night terrors dog lays on legs)

On top of acceptable public behavior. Goodness I hope that's not too much of an info dump.

My current dog isn't the best at retrieve so the search for help might not as crucial as the other tasks.

4. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

I don’t think you’re going to find a breeder who only breeds for service dogs. Your best bet is to find a reputable breeder who does health testing, temperament testing and such. Any well bred dobe is capable of doing what you’ve described.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

Welcome from Australia. :ntmy: There are other members here who have Doberman service dogs and they do very well. I agree that any well bred Doberman would be capable of doing what you require, and a reputable breeder will pick a suitable pup for you.

6. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Welcome from Minnesota! :welcome:

I agree that the best way to start is to find a reputable Doberman breeder and they will stick with you throughout the dogs life and guide you along the way.

This is a good place to start a search for a reputable breeder.
    DPCA | The Doberman | Breeder Referral

We'd love to see some photos of your APBT.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I came very close to getting a pup from Rebecca Floyd. She breeds and trains Dobermans for the blind out of Madison, Mississippi.

https://www.gallanthearts.org/

Talked to her a number of times on the phone. At that point, I had just started looking for a pup. She did not have a litter on the ground so I turned elsewhere.

Very knowledgeable and highly respected from the information I researched.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Rodyboy

Rodyboy Jr Member

:dc:Hello from Ohio. I believe also with a reputable breeder you can find what you need.

9. itsforthenguyen

I'm hoping to find a breeder who has a bitch that is a therapy dog and some CGC titles. Is there a way to know this? Maybe a AKC database I could check into?

I'm pretty new to dobies so I'm not sure if there's a way to look for reputable breeders...website links?

Thank you for those who responded!

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  10. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

yup, @JanS provided a link to the Doberman Pinscher Club of America website!