• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Seeking suggestions on navigating spay timing of a rescue dobergirl

LifeofRubie

Active Member
Ugh!!! I mean... what if your vets 'earliest' appointment is a few months out? And then she may come into heat and you can't spay when that happens so might need to be 'pushed out a bit longer?'

I dunno, though. Seems risky and all they would have to do is call the vet and inquire to find out pretty quickly there are more likely earlier appointments available. It seems like you may have to go through with it to be compliant with the contract :(
 

HMKK

New Member
I would pursue the vet route. Have them write a doctor note of sort that she cannot be spayed until x age due to health reasons.
I was hoping that by offering a conversation with Tessa's vet, this would be the equivalent of a doctor's note and considered favorably, but it meant nothing.
The rescue works in collaboration with their vets, who supposedly are all in favor of early spay. Just like with human doctors, many that just follow the path of least resistance and I would think that rescue-affiliated vets will invest the least amount of effort for their probably donated time. I would not expect them to go beyond the basics and for many adopters, waiting may not be a good idea, because they would not want to deal with the heat. The 'medical director' of the rescue has no medical training and as far as I can gather, no advanced science training either. She has experience running the rescue, which I do not want to discount.
She communicated that they have had this policy for 18 years, to spay at 6 months, My natural follow-up question would be to ask how many of them developed spay incontinence and joint issues and compare that to those dogs who were spayed later. But if I were to ask that, I'd just tick her off more, because I would not expect that this is something she would be able to answer.
 

HMKK

New Member
Ugh!!! I mean... what if your vets 'earliest' appointment is a few months out? And then she may come into heat and you can't spay when that happens so might need to be 'pushed out a bit longer?'

I dunno, though. Seems risky and all they would have to do is call the vet and inquire to find out pretty quickly there are more likely earlier appointments available. It seems like you may have to go through with it to be compliant with the contract :(
Actually, this vet is pretty booked, so it will be at least 1 month out. A lot can happen in a month and who knows, I may need to reschedule ;)
But I hate going this path or even thinking about it.

I reached out to the vet in NM who performs the hormone-preserving partial spay. They are a good 2 hour drive from us, but that could be managed, Maybe we can do the presurgical exam locally and I take the trek south for the procedure. I will need to find out from both vets if they would be willing to collaborate this way. But that may be the solution.
 

Kaiser2016

Active Member
Actually, this vet is pretty booked, so it will be at least 1 month out. A lot can happen in a month and who knows, I may need to reschedule ;)
But I hate going this path or even thinking about it.
I like this idea. Throw in a few pandemic-related delays and maybe it buys you a bit more time. These rescue people sure sound aggressive.
 

HMKK

New Member
I like this idea. Throw in a few pandemic-related delays and maybe it buys you a bit more time. These rescue people sure sound aggressive.
I agree that they are quite aggressive and in my opinion not rational. I am not used to dealing with people like this, so it is difficult. Plus, I realize that I singed the contract where I agreed to the spay at 6 months. I did not question the timing at this time, but I have learned a few things since then, in part on this forum. How can I ignore new information that could possibly prevent years of suffering for my pup?
For now, I e-mailed Tessa's vet here in town to find out if any of their providers would perform a partial spay. I also e-mailed the vet in NM who I know performs partial spays to find out if they would be willing to collaborate with our local vet with regard to the pre-and post-surgical care and just perform the surgery so that I would only have to make one trip.
 

HMKK

New Member
Having things in writing and documented is a great idea, for a lot of reasons!
Agreed. I just don't have anything to offer other than scientific studies. Tessa has no health issue that would prevent her form undergoing the procedure. Her psychiatrist "dad" could diagnose a needle phobia, but I don't think that would hold water - he is not licensed to diagnose puppies :p
 

Top