Seeking referrals for reputable breeders for companion dog

Joelle Alexis

Novitiate
Hello all. I am a new member. I am interested in getting a Doberman puppy to join me on my life's journey. I am only looking for a companion dog but I'm a Psychologist and would eventually like to have my companion to serve as a therapy dog, assisting me at my practice and with certain clients here and there. I only want a black female, American not European. I was on a waiting list for 2+ years with a great breeder but she decided to stop breeding. So, clearly I'm patient and understand that usually great breeders have a waiting list, but ideally would like to not wait another 2 years. I live in PA but will be relocating to a beach house in Florida soon. I have no preference what area the the dog comes from. I will drive wherever for a quality companion who will frankly be living quite a comfortable, happy life. Cost isn't much of a concern. Again, quality, health, good genetics and positive references are more of my concerns. Can anyone refer me to some suitable breeders that would fit my specifications? I thank you kindly, in advance, for any info provided.

Welcome to from Louisiana!!

I can tell you how I found my breeder. I also wanted an black/rust American Doberman.

I was new to the Doberman breed and had no info nor contacts in which to start. I went online and researched every breeder I could find.

I then learned about the issues with back yard breeders so I specifically focused on the reputable breeders on Doberman Pinscher Club of America website.
DPCA | The Doberman | Breeder Referral

2FA338BF-671B-4983-965C-F6AF2AB1E14F.png

I emailed every breeder within an eight hour drive. Nobody emailed me back for 2weeks. So I did more research online and found phone numbers to these breeders. I started making contact with breeders.

I found out that these folks are extremely busy traveling the show/confirmation/obedience trial circuit. They weren’t ignoring me, they were just busy.

I talked with a great breeder in Texas, 4-1/2hrs away and hit a jackpot.

Get online, research research research. Make contact and get familiar with the breeder. Be prepared for they will ask you lots of questions and may have you fill out an application. They are extremely protective of their pups and will not let them go to a home without feeling it is the right place for their pup.

Good luck and keep us updated on your quest.

I’ve had Ragnar for ~8months and he has been a wonderful addition to my family.

Back