Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Scratching freshly cropped ears

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Dobiemom78, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Dobiemom78

Dobiemom78 Novitiate

Any tips besides a cone to prevent my pup from scratching her freshly cropped ears. They are healing well which I think is why they are itchy. Would hate for her to pull a stitch and postpone the healing process.

2. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

They have the cone or the inflatable neck collar.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Dobiemom78

Dobiemom78 Novitiate

Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  4. strykerdobe

Are they taped or just all in the open? Some vets tape the whole ear which I don't recommend. Some vets tape the ears in spots on top of their heads.
    Our litter the vet taped them to each other above their heads and left the stitches open to the air.
    20190905_181026.jpg

• Wow x 1
  5. Dobiemom78

Dobiemom78 Novitiate

Open with stitches. Getting wrapped Mon.

6. strykerdobe

I'm sure each vet does it different. Not sure why they would wrap them up? And not just leave them open to air to heal?

7. Maja Rocks

Maja Rocks $ Forum Donor $

I agree in a perfect world allowing the air to get to the ears and help it heal faster is preferable.
    But we are talking about Doberman puppies!

Our breeders vets experience is if they are left open & un bandaged there is more exposer to dirt & bacteria increasing the risk of infection. Also left unprotected increases the chances of the puppy or their litter mates pulling out the stitches increasing the time need to properly heal. So our breeder used non-stick breathable bandage materials and changed them out often till they are healed.

Most of the breeders I know don't release their puppies to their new homes until the ears are fully healed.

Our breeder posted pictures of the puppies as " The newest members of the Shriners Club" LOL

MR
    70586955_912688095765231_6581188875970936832_o.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. Maja Rocks

Maja Rocks $ Forum Donor $

Another silly "Shriners Club" photo just for fun!
    MR
    70454421_909754066058634_5201685791843024896_o.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1