SchH Tracking in the snow video

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
I'm taking a self-study course for tracking IGP-style for beginners. Asha is way more talented than my teaching skills, and since the course is not online there are no Q & A possible as I "follow the instructions". It is said to ideally start on thick grass & hide the treats under the grass so the dog has to slow down and snuffle them out. We started with scent pads on the high desert dirt/bunch grass/weeds. There is no lawn around here, but she was doing well, and the next step was making a circle track and letting her figure out how to follow it without help. Then we got a foot of snow, so being a little impatient I made the track in the snow & Asha didn't miss a beat. This is the 2nd circle a couple I did yesterday and I skipped food on several of the footsteps. She was great. No guidance at all, I just let her drag the line while I stood still and took the video. I have to say though, she's figured out the game and I am not even close to being able to walk her calmly to the start. So far the hardest part of training tracking is a loose leash walk to the start. Asha is a bear to go to work!

Also if anyone (sorry to bug you @Doberman Gang) can say whether it's good, bad or doesn't matter to train on snow. I can't bury up the treats as the footprints are like concrete once the snow is stepped on. No crushed vegetation to speak of or scuffed dirt. Will it set me back? or better than nothing?

I know, I know. Watching tracking is like watching paint dry, but this is only a couple of minutes and I'm pretty proud of her!

Doberman Gang

Hot Topics Subscriber
I still track in the snow, it is possible there will be snow at a trial in the winter, so your dog should be shown all possible situations. For me it is also producing the muscle memory of back and forth footsteps on the track, checking every footstep. Walking to the start flag is also training. The start flag at a trial can be pretty far away. At The 2019 a AWDF Championship my start flag was over 1/4 mile from where we parked. If your dog pulls and drags you the entire distance, they will wear themselves out before they start tracking. They need to learn to remain calm to the track and on the track. If my dogs pull on the way to the start flag we stop and they are put in a down. I also use an ecollar for teaching obedience to the track. Once my dogs understand scent pads and footstep tracking, if the head comes up or goes off the track I Mark with Phooey and tap the Knick button on the ecollar until back on the track. (Similar To Teaching the recall with an ecollar)
The setting is much lower than what is used in obedience. It is just to teach understanding to stay on the track or help find corners. If it is too high it will make them frantic or come back to you. I will also use it to correct for pulling to the start.

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
I still track in the snow, it is possible there will be snow at a trial in the winter, so your dog should be shown all possible situations. For me it is also producing the muscle memory of back and forth footsteps on the track, checking every footstep. Walking to the start flag is also training. The start flag at a trial can be pretty far away. At The 2019 a AWDF Championship my start flag was over 1/4 mile from where we parked. If your dog pulls and drags you the entire distance, they will wear themselves out before they start tracking. They need to learn to remain calm to the track and on the track. If my dogs pull on the way to the start flag we stop and they are put in a down. I also use an ecollar for teaching obedience to the track. Once my dogs understand scent pads and footstep tracking, if the head comes up or goes off the track I Mark with Phooey and tap the Knick button on the ecollar until back on the track. (Similar To Teaching the recall with an ecollar)
The setting is much lower than what is used in obedience. It is just to teach understanding to stay on the track or help find corners. If it is too high it will make them frantic or come back to you. I will also use it to correct for pulling to the start.
Thank you! - I'm working hard on the lead to the start flag. She settles quickly once she starts, but getting her there calmly needs lots of work. Down is a good idea, I have been stopping/sit/look at me. Down might add even more clear message to her head. I thought about the e-collar nick for the lead to the start, but haven't done that yet... if I did, just get her attention back to me? Loose leash heeling is still our biggest hurdle if there is something she wants in front of her. Very food motivated, so I work in the house a lot, put a treat on the floor and spend 5 minutes doing sits/downs/heel around it and getting eye contact and treating from hand but she still will side-eye the treat on the floor.

??? Did your message disappear? :scratch:

Ddski5

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
No, I just put ‘in’ because it is easier for me to access this thread when I get on. It marks in my post and also will alert me to any replies.

Kaiser2016

Hey that is looking great! It’s one of the few times that we get to witness Kaiser being calm and collected, lol, so this is always a sight to behold :D

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
Hey that is looking great! It’s one of the few times that we get to witness Kaiser being calm and collected, lol, so this is always a sight to behold :D
As I suspected, the snow was much easier than the ground. But she's still doing pretty good. Thanks, I didn't know Kaiser did tracking. It does wear 'em down mentally.