Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

"Saved" a Doberman Puppy and i need your Tips/Help! (are they even a Doberman?)

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by humblegod, Mar 25, 2020.

1. humblegod

humblegod New Member

I found what they call a "backyard breeder" that has a Dobbies and he is treating them awful, they are almost STARVED! i already have a Dog, its a Belgian Sheperd (malinois) its an extremly active dog and people say that it kinda behaves like a doberman.

i never really thought of adopting another dog, untill i met that breeder and i saw his little dobbies, and i fell in love with one of the puppies and after i saw how badly he treated the parents i wanted to save the little one atleast.. but i have some questions and i need you help.

1. is it a problem that ill adopt the puppy at 14weeks old? ..

2.i noticed that the ears of the puppy are croped "amateurish" he insists that he took the puppy to a professional but i dont really believe him, and something else strange is that he doesnt have the bands on his ears that will help his hears stand straight later, his excuse was that the doctor told him that he has to use the bands when the puppy is 6months, not now frankly i dont believe him since ive seen dobbies 9weeks old with bands on their ears! he said that he croped the ears 3 weeks ago.. can i still save the cropped ears? if i adopt it now and i use the bands can the ear stay straight afterwards?

3. im not even sure if its a pure Doberman.. the poor parents of the puppy are so starved that im not sure if they are dobermans.. i have some pictures to show you of the parents and the puppy and the sight of it is really sad! i hope you can tell if its pure or not.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  2. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Well, if you already have her, not much you can do but vet her and try to get her healthy. If you want her ears to stand, yes, post them.

If the first picture is of the parents when they were bred.... that poor girl barely has enough meat on her bones to sustain herself let alone produce a healthy litter.

Parents and pup look purebred. Pup looks rather small for 14 wks. Her belly looks quite bloated, probably worms.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Welcome!

There's not much I can add to what Panama said above. She pretty much says it all there.

I wish you good success and happiness with this. Thanks for taking care of these cuties.

• Like Like x 1
  4. humblegod

humblegod New Member

Thank you both for your answers, its only 1 puppy and its male ^^ i will keep track of everything and post the whole journey here guys, ill try to make him 100% healthy!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Oh, Phew! I thought you were going to try to care for a whole litter of pups. :wideyed: :)

• Wow x 1
  6. humblegod

humblegod New Member

Sorry my mistake he is actually 9 weeks old!

7. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh, ok.... he is still a bit small. (maybe I'm just so used to big chunky pups).

I would get him vetted and some good healthy groceries in his belly!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I would look into pet insurance. It could save you a lot of money.
    Top 10 Pet Insurance Sites