1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Salmon poisoning

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by Logan 45, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Logan 45

Logan 45 $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

Probably a bizarre question but when raw feeding a dog it’s often recommended to feed fish once a week. With that being said I ve seen that there is a difference between Atlantic and pacific salmon for one. But the question I have is are fresh water salmon like Kokanee salmon acceptable for a raw diet amongst other fresh water species like trout? I’ve also read that freezing them for a period of time can make fish safer for consumption.

2. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

We feed canned sardines in water and sometimes canned salmon but not raw salmon. I would further research this. I would think deep freezing for a minimum of 2 weeks or longer would kill bacteria just like in wild game. Then you have the bones. Probably cooked is the way I would go.

Also the smaller fish like sardines, mackerel and anchovies will have less mercury in them.

Most if not all Atlantic Salmon is Farmed Raised. Because its an endangered fish.

I would not eat Farmed raised. They feed them corn, antibiotics are used because of the close quarters they are in. Depending on where their pens are subject to runoff of rain water from farmland, which can contain pesticides.

There have been some salmon poisonings in the Pacific Northwest.
    Salmon Poisoning in dogs.

Salmon Poisoning Disease ("Fish Disease") | Oregon Veterinary Medical Association

Salmon Poisoning Disease ("Fish Disease")

[​IMG]Thinkstock
    Salmon poisoning disease (fish disease) is a potentially fatal condition seen in dogs who have ingested certain types of raw fish found in the Pacific Northwest from San Francisco to the coast of Alaska. It is most prevalent from northern California to the Puget Sound. It is also seen inland along the rivers of fish migration.

Fish That May Be Infected
    Salmon, trout, and other fish such as the lamprey, sculpin, redside shiner, shad, sturgeon, candlefish and the large-scale sucker who spend their lives in coastal streams and rivers in the Pacific Northwest can be infected with the organism Neorickettsia helmonthoeca.

Life Cycle
    The rickettsial organism Neorickettsia helmonthoeca is embedded within the fluke, Nanophyetus salmincola, which is embedded within raw fish. Once in the dog's intestinal tract, the larval flukes excyst and release the rickettsiae. The rickettsial organisms then hematogenously spread to the liver, lungs, brain, and lymphoid tissues causing necrosis, hemorrhage, and hyperplasia.

The life cycle begins when the eggs of the fluke Nanophyetus salmincola are released in the feces of the host mammal or avian. Those eggs may find their way into a freshwater snail, Oxytrema silicula, found only in coastal streams and rivers. Inside the snail these forms reproduce many times and encyst in fish tissues, which, if eaten, can cause illness in canines.

Symptoms To Watch For
    If not treated, salmon poisoning disease is usually fatal within 2 weeks after exposure. The symptoms of salmon poisoning disease are similar to other gastrointestinal diseases such as canine parvovirus. If infected, your dog would likely show some or all of the following symptoms about 6 to 10 days after ingesting fish which were carrying the bacteria. Symptoms may be of variable severity but generally consist of:

• Fever, often greater than 104 F
    • Depression
    • Anorexia
    • Vomiting
    • Diarrhea
    • Nasal or eye discharge
    • Weight loss
    Diagnosis & Treatment
    If you know your dog has ingested raw fish and it exhibits any of the symptoms listed above, notify your veterinarian immediately. If identified in time, salmon poisoning disease is treatable. A helpful part of the diagnosis is telling your veterinarian that your dog ate raw fish. If your dog roams, raids trash cans, or you are unsure of what it has eaten for any reason, be sure to mention this to your veterinarian, especially if your dog is exhibiting any of the symptoms.

The disease is diagnosed with analysis of a fecal sample to detect the parasite's eggs or by detecting the bacteria through a needle sample from a swollen lymph node. Treatment involves administration of an antibiotic to kill the bacteria and a dewormer to kill the parasite. If a dog is vomiting at the time of evaluation, it may need to be hospitalized for IV fluid administration. Many dogs respond to treatment quickly, showing improvement in just a few days. Once recovered, many dogs have a permanent immunity to the strain they were infected with. However, infection with an alternate strain can occur so precautions should still be taken.

Prevention
    The best treatment is prevention.

• Control what your dog eats while on fishing trips.
    • Leash your dog at the beach or river so that you can monitor its activities.
    • Wrap garbage, especially fish entrails, and dispose in well-secured cans.
    • Don't feed raw fish to your dog. Cook fish thoroughly or deep-freeze it for a minimum of 2 weeks to destroy the parasite before feeding it to your dog.
    Updated: 2019-07-24 07:00:00

Author: Oregon Veterinary Medical Association

• Informative Informative x 3
  3. Logan 45

Ok and I feed mine sardines 2-3xs a week like you had previously recommended me to do. The only thing I have found is although they are just in water they are a little high in sodium. My reason for asking is that typically my dad and I will go salmon snagging and when we do we end up with 24 Kokanee salmon a day when we do go. I’m not a super big fish fan the only way I will eat it is if we smoke them all. So in other words I end up with more fish than I can eat that’s for sure usually give a bunch away to family and friends.

4. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Hey if they are plentiful maybe filet them and bake them then feed them to your pup.

We drain the water and you can rinse them. The ones we get Chicken of the Sea in water does have 370mg of sodium. So draining them and rinse will help reduce that. Plus 2-3 x's per week is not bad.

Wow 24 of them! How big do they get?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Logan 45

Chicken of the sea is the same brand I feed as well when it comes to sardines.

And definitely they are extremely plentiful here and you can get more than 24 if you want they just say your bag limit is 12 a person per day. And when they run for roughly 3 weeks.

Kokanee salmon themselves aren’t huge by any standard but they generally range from 14-24” and they probably 1-2.5 pounds per fish.

The photo below is one I pulled off google but that’s about average at least with my luck.

I’ll definitely have to bake a few for the dogs this year I certainly won’t be eating that many. Check out your local lakes and rivers cause if they have Kokanee salmon you can definitely get in on snagging it’s fun and if baking them makes them safe for dogs and yourself why not.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

If you’re looking to get the benefits of fish, feed anchovies. I feed twice a week, 13.12Oz each feeding.

You can buy them at your local Asian market, or raw feeding store.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Logan 45

I would if I could no raw feeding store here or and Asian market. Fresh fish are extremely hard to get here unless it’s the grocery store variety or caught by you.