• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Sad but hopeful

Some DCM can be caused by improper diets. I know I mentioned this in a different post. Back in the 70's thousands of cats were dying from DCM because the lack of Taurine in pet food. Is the problem back??

The lack of taurine in diets is indeed showing up again. I had no idea that Golden's are pre disposed to low taurine deficiencies and because of that, they can also develop DCM. A lady on the largest canine cancer study (Golden Retriever Lifetime Study - 3000 strong ) found that the current trend in food (bump protein count up with VEGETABLES, not MEAT) can cause too low taurine if not checked.

Low Taurine in Grain Free Foods

The lack of taurine in diets is indeed showing up again. I had no idea that Golden's are pre disposed to low taurine deficiencies and because of that, they can also develop DCM. A lady on the largest canine cancer study (Golden Retriever Lifetime Study - 3000 strong ) found that the current trend in food (bump protein count up with VEGETABLES, not MEAT) can cause too low taurine if not checked.

Low Taurine in Grain Free Foods

And bump it up with grains like corn

The biggest problem is that breeders start breeding at around 2yrs old for Females. When usually most DCM can start showing up in a dog between 5-8yrs old. So how many offspring are born already? Yes their are the incidences of Sudden Death as the first sign in about 30% of dogs and some DCM turning up before 5yrs.

Should breeding be done at a later age? Don't most breeders stop breeding females at 4-5yrs old?

Yeah, that's tough one. I think there is a thread on this topic somewhere. I'm not sure what the answer is. Wait too long and it kinda feels like breeding Grandma and Grandpa. :wideyed:

You summed it up perfectly in these comments.....we just don't know enough. :sorry:

Drake went back to the Cardiologist for yet another holter. He started a new med so we are just following up and making sure it is doing what it's supposed to. Fingers crossed. :fingersx:
He is so in love with one of the techs. The minute he sees her he starts wiggling from head to toe then just melts into the floor with this silly look.
the look of love.jpg

Drake went back to the Cardiologist for yet another holter. He started a new med so we are just following up and making sure it is doing what it's supposed to. Fingers crossed. :fingersx:
He is so in love with one of the techs. The minute he sees her he starts wiggling from head to toe then just melts into the floor with this silly look.
View attachment 77886

Such a sweet boy :love:

Fingers crossed for him.

Such a sweet boy :love:

Fingers crossed for him.

He is a sweetie and just such a good boy. He's been such a trooper through all of this. I'm sure his girlfriend, the tech has made the whole process easier. Drake just swoons when he sees her and gets those silly goo goo eyes. She makes over him like he's the only dog. Shh....don't tell he she probably does that to all the dogs, it'll break his heart. Just makes me feel better that he is in such caring hands.

Forgot to update this thread. The holter results were not what I was hoping for. :( Better but not good enough. So we added yet another med, Mexiletine to try and control the arrhythmia's. Fingers crossed once again this holter gives us good news. :fingersx:

Sorry to hear this. Yes Mexiletine does help control Arrhythmias. Sometimes they combine it with Sotalol.

Sending prayers

Sometimes they combine it with Sotalol.

He's already on Sotalol. It wasn't quite doing the job so she added the Mexiletine to help. We are holtering now to see if it's gonna work. :fingersx:

I just have to say this...
I'm not feeling real hopeful. I was hoping we would get him on meds and life would be good. NOPE! We still have to fight the fight.

I know everybody loves their dogs. I'm not saying I love mine more or that Drake is better in some way. It's just that Drake and Greta were such a team. We did so much together. I learned so much from them. The kids that smiled because of them. The old folks that had the twinkle in their eyes return because of those 2 goofs. They actually became famous. I can't tell you how many times I heard "Is that Drake and Greta? I've heard of them." I was at a park one day with my son, GiGi and Drake. A lady walked up to me and said "I have to meet the dobermans. My niece has a couple come visit her at the hospital. All she talks about is those dogs. Have you ever heard of Drake and Greta?" I said meet Drake. She fell to the ground in tears in front of Drake, so grateful to him for making her niece's day.
With Greta gone, I'm struggling at the thought of losing the other half of the "team". I guess I'll have to be satisfied with at least I did have them.

With Greta gone, I'm struggling at the thought of losing the other half of the "team". I guess I'll have to be satisfied with at least I did have them.
I wish you didn't have to experience this. I can tell how much you love Greta. I think we all can.

And now, poor Drake... I'm sorry I don't have anything more useful to contribute. It's almost like it's part of the price we pay to have them.

I can tell how much you love Greta.

I did love her, everyone did. She was a special one. What I loved even more is the combination of the 2. They were perfect together and they came into my life at the perfect time. I'll probably never have that again.
The end of an era is hard for anyone. Rumor is doing her best to help. When she knows I'm sad, she becomes this gentle, loving creature, so calm and sweet. If that doesn't work, she puts on a show of total goofiness to make me laugh. I wish she could talk so she could tell me what she thinks of all this.

Praying they find the right drug combo for our boy Drake! Be strong @GennyB, you're in our thoughts and prayers.

I appreciate the prayer's. I pray daily that we find the sweet spot quickly.
We have gotten past the side effects of the latest med and he seems to be feeling pretty good. The worst was nausea. He didn't want to eat because of it. I babied him through it, made him lots of special toppers to get him to eat. I feel like we are in a good place. Hopefully the holter results confirms that.

The results of the last holter are in. Drum roll please.........:woot: the combo seems to be working!
Drake was on restricted activity until we got his meds right. He is very happy to say he has been freed!
We actually played with the Chuck-it yesterday. I have to say that was terrifying for me. The vet did say some exercise is good for him and he will naturally slow down or stop if he gets tired.
We have done everything we can, now it's about the quality of life. It was so nice to see a happy dog. My little energizer bunny had the best day his had in a long time.
:martini: here's to many, many more!

It's wonderful news that Drake is feeling better!!! I'm sure it's been a very stressful time for you. Sending continued well wishes and prayers for Drakes continued good health.

Back