1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Sad but hopeful

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by GennyB, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I hear ya. We do so much that it seems to be in vain when we compare to others. It's almost like luck of the draw.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

The lady I met with the soon to be 11 yo lived on an acreage. Remember that video with the oldest dog in the world? That dog ran 20 km a day, slept outside and even ate kibble at some point in her life.

3. Clary

Clary Jr Member

I'm sure occult stage isn't a thing? It can't be witchcraft. Unless it means something else over in USA. Also what is DCM? Sounds horribly worrying I'm sorry op x

4. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I think the meaning is different when it comes to medical. ;) Some words have lots of meanings. In this case, just means the symptoms are hidden to put it simply.

Dilated Cardiomyopathy. A fatal disease very common in dobermans. Best estimate is 58% of dobermans will be affected.

5. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

Should find out the lineage...15 is a ripe old age for our breed nowadays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GennyB

I know it. She is from the same kennel as Drake.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. GennyB

I couldn't make sense of this at first. "Luck of the Draw" is Drake's registered name.
    Funny the games your mind can play....

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  8. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I am so sorry you are going through this, Genny. Drake is a special boy to many of us and my heart hurts along with you. Staying HOPEFUL for you....

Genny and Drake's situation is a PRIME example as to why it is important for us to do annual echos and biannual Holters on our Dobermans after 2 years old. It is also important for an owner to know the classic symptoms of DCM. Genny's diligence and dedication will hopefully provide her sweet boy many more years to share with her that she would have not had ordinarily. Symptoms of DCM can remain silent, even in occult stage until the disease has progressed to the point of endstage DCM with CHF, and then it's a waiting game. Unfortunately it is normal for a Holter to be normal just to have a positive holter with Occult DCM diagnosis months later. Take Legato for instance. Had a normal Holter, Echo and ECG. One month later, he died playing ball with his owner Kathy in the backyard. Went from being "healthy" to being gone in a month. He was a Top 20 dog with a phenomenally health tested pedigree.....BUT his ancestors carried DCM. Another reason why it is important to know the health test stats of the pedigree and for breeders to breed intelligently. It is also VERY important for OWNERS to be responsible and make sure they are educated about the diseases that plague our breed and know how to read health testing results, where to find them and how important it is to buy from a reputable breeder.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  9. Archer

Occult is very much a thing. It's a medical term that means the diagnosis is there....the patient just isn't symptomatic. I strongly suggest you read up on DCM since you own a Doberman. It is a disease the really plagues our breed and catching the disease in the occult stage can mean a difference of a few years for your dog.

10. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

I am starting to wonder how accurate this is. I would assume the diagnosis of DCM in a breeders lineage can be devastating for their breeding. I hate to say it but I wonder if some don't sweep it under the rug or at least refuse to do a necropsy for fear of a diagnosis...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GennyB

:fingersx:

Not only can it give a few more good years but I believe will add to the knowledge to help ALL dobermans.
    Hopefully with every dog diagnosed and treated we learn more and more.

No way we will ever know. Like I said earlier in this thread, I have found some dishonest breeders that did try to hide it. I called them out on it with proof and they were forced to changed the COD.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Archer

It does happen. Agreeably there are some breeders who sweep it under the rug, but there are also instances where legitimately the dog sans DCM lineage dies of DCM or SCD. This is another reason why it is so very important to health test annually.

imho the breeders who sweep it under the rug are doing a huge disservice to the breed, especially if the dog in question has offspring. It is the right of the owner of the offspring to know how the sire/dam of the dog passed away, especially if COD is potentially hereditary.

• Agree Agree x 6
  13. GennyB

IMHO it's a 'get out of breeding for life' offense. Absolutely no excuse for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Clary

Clary Jr Member

We got him from a very reputable breeder he had all his tests for hip displacemnt and had no history of heart problems in his family according to his paperwork. We deliberately researched and saved up for a year to make sure we don't contribute to any issue. He is bred with American to make sure family lines are okay I'm not sure what else we could do tbh

15. GennyB

Is he your pup or his sire?

Annual holters and echoes once your pup turns 2. I would bump the holters to 2x a year once he turns 5.

16. Clary

Clary Jr Member

Thankyou good to know my hubby knows more about big dogs than me I'm still learning

17. GennyB

Update on Drake:
    He's doing remarkably well. Our cardiologist has taken a special interest in him. Following him closely because she doesn't get the opportunity to treat a dog diagnosed so early. So many are unaware of this disease and therefore it isn't caught early. Most of her patients are already in congestive heart failure so any treatment is too little, too late. Owners often opt to put the dog down because the situation is hopeless.
    She has offered to do a holter every 3 months as well as biannual echos and ECG's at no cost to me. She just wants some first hand experience on how his disease progresses. She also is following a boxer that was diagnosed the same day as Drake. A beautiful boy that is 2 years younger than Drake.
    We did have one set back that was upsetting to me. Drake was vomiting and we ended up at the ER vet. Looking back I think that may have been my fault. One of his meds upsets his stomach if not given with food. I think I forgot the food. Bad dobe mom award for me.
    I am lucky enough to live close to all kinds of farms. We have a goat farm not far where I buy raw goat's milk and make yogurt to top his food. Tummy is all better and the yogurt seems to help with that.
    We are still hopeful Drake will have a long good life!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 8
  18. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

That's very good news!!!!!!!!!!!! So glad for him! And you!

Going to do our boys Holter very soon. We do it every 3mo since being diagnosed. Scheduled for his 6mo Echo in May.
    Which med upset his tummy? Was it a heart med?
    All of Yago's heart meds are not to be given with food.

Early DETECTION is the key!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GennyB

Mexiletine. Usually it is just initially that it upsets the tummy. Not Drake. :rolleyes: Yes, most of his meds are on an empty stomach, just not this one. I think I just got mixed up. :( Mexiletine is given every 8 hours so timing is everything with his other meds being every 12 hours and empty stomach meds. I think I have it worked out now so it won't happen again!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. GennyB

20180214_151315.jpg

This is our life. And this is just his meds, not his supplements. So you can see how I messed up.
    rsz_20180212_092517-1.jpg

I have another pill box with his supplements. The pill boxes and a timer helped me get organized and give things on time.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 3