• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Running leash recommendations

Gennady's mom

Jr Member
Hi! So Gennady and I have gone on a few short jogs just to try things out a little at a time. I try to run at least 3miles 3 times a week minimum. I'm hoping to make him my running partner. I was wondering if any other "joggers/runners" have any leash recommendations? I feel like holding on to one messes with my form and I don't want to cause any shoulder issues. Has any one tried a waist belt type of leash? Also any "running with dobe" tips would be great too. Thanks! We've been doing a lot of recall in the yard, but I have to say he is very good when walking at the park about ignoring other dogs and people and staying focused on forging ahead. I just say "keep going" and even if he starts to seem distracted he'll usually straighten right up. Here's some pics of him soaking up some sun today.

Attachments

• IMG_8762.JPG
    IMG_8762.JPG
    335.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8754.JPG
    IMG_8754.JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 20
Yes, a few of us on here run with our dobes. We are preparing Kobi as we speak for competing. His first race will be coming up soon, May I believe.

We run him in a specially made harness, this provides maximum comfort and pulling force for him....

IMG_2890.JPG IMG_2891.JPG

The bungee line is then attached to a canicross belt, which goes around your waist and ensures that both running parties feel secure.

How old is Gennady? I wouldn't start running with him till at least 18 months.

Places to run, off road is always best, local woodland parks, or forestry trails are great to get started, lots of technical work for both owner and the dog, but soft enough underfoot. It is important to mix up terrain when training, harder ground can be equally as important as a softer ground, too much of one thing can cause issues either way. Try avoid too many miles on tarmac as it can be bad for both human and dogs joints not to mention pads, but avoiding tougher ground will keep dogs pads too soft and could lead to flat dogs pads too soft and could lead to flat footing. Mix up your trails for best all round training.

Lots of canicrossers use mushers terms to help drive their dog, you can use any term you wish, so long as your dog understands and you are consistent with what you say and how you say it.

“Go Gee”- Go Right

“Go Haw” – Go Left

“Forward” – Forward

“On by” – Ignore keep going

“Hike on” – Use more pulling power to carry forward

“lets go” – Speeding up or starting to go

“Steady” – Slow the pace

“stand/line out” – Stand still facing forward.

These are just examples of commands that I use. When training your dog commands, you want to repeat when they go in the directions and praise after the word, similar to how you would teach basic obedience, lots of praise when they are on right track will help them pick it up better.

Hope I've been of help to you :)

In your picture your leash looks like a typical leash. When I was doing some researching I found a lot of recommendations for a bungee type leash?

I have a waist lead that I haven't used for years. It was custom made leather with a ring on the end to loop it around your waist.
Waist lead sitting June 18 11.jpg

I run 5K and 10K with my adult dogs. I just use a flat collar. I also have the Hurtta Action Belt. It's a running belt. I like it, but don't always use it

I run 5K and 10K with my adult dogs. I just use a flat collar. I also have the Hurtta Action Belt. It's a running belt. I like it, but don't always use it

I was actually looking at the Hurtta belt today! I just didn't know if the bungee leash would help stop him from knocking me off my feet. Last time we weighed him he was about 85lbs and that was maybe 2mos ago. He will be a year the end of this month. I'm kind of a weakling so I don't want him to lunge and throw me down. This whole waist thing is intriguing/frightening to me. I also use a gentle leader on our walks. I'm thinking I would want to continue to use that? The cani-cross stuff is interesting but I was thinking I would want him to be beside me in more of a "heel" capacity.

In your picture your leash looks like a typical leash. When I was doing some researching I found a lot of recommendations for a bungee type leash?

Yes, it's a bungee leash. I can see what you mean about it looking like a regular leash.

I use the Non-Stop Dogwear range.

The waist belt..

IMG_2901.PNG

The bungee leash..

IMG_2902.PNG

I was actually looking at the Hurtta belt today! I just didn't know if the bungee leash would help stop him from knocking me off my feet. Last time we weighed him he was about 85lbs and that was maybe 2mos ago. He will be a year the end of this month. I'm kind of a weakling so I don't want him to lunge and throw me down. This whole waist thing is intriguing/frightening to me. I also use a gentle leader on our walks. I'm thinking I would want to continue to use that? The cani-cross stuff is interesting but I was thinking I would want him to be beside me in more of a "heel" capacity.

You do what feels right for you and your boy. If you do decide to run in a running belt to make it hands-free, you want that pulling power and look for speed you need to expect a bump or two. It goes with the territory. The only time a dog is in a heel or behind you in the Canicross sport is when you are running downhill. Apart from that he's always out front.
See, we use a flat collar and general leash for walks and a harness and bungee lead for running. It's important to do this so the dog doesn't become confused. This way we are not giving him mixed signals.

The reason why I mentioned the age was because of his growth plates. Personally, I'd wait till he's 18 months old when the growth plates are closed and train slowly.
Be patient, waiting until he is 18 months old will allow you to enjoy many more years of exercising with them by allowing adequate skeletal development.

At 12 months maybe a little 'light jogging' on soft ground would be ok but keep it short.

See, we use a flat collar and general leash for walks and a harness and bungee lead for running. It's important to do this so the dog doesn't become confused. This way we are not giving him mixed signals.
Thank you sooooo much @Viemarangelrock you have been extremely helpful! I think now I've got some starting points for research. I've been trying to be patient and wait for the 18th month mark. But when we go for walks I do a few little jogs intermittently. I'm very slow so I feel like he's power walking as opposed to off leash in the grassy yard where he is all out running. I'm looking forward to him becoming my jogging partner! And you have been very informative!

If you have a decent heel trained it isn't an issue.

I make a custom double clip lead that some have used for this purpose! I'm not a runner, so I'm not positive how it works, I just follow their request of how they want it lol... Everyones been happy with them so far though!

I know how tempting it is to start working them earlier than 18 months, I got my little man primarily as a hiking/jogging partner (other than being an excellent companion of course!) and he is finally at 14 months so we are getting closer. That being said three miles at a time is not much, especially for these dogs, and if it is on soft natural ground I imagine that is alright. It's the pavement that is so detrimental to growing bones, it's not even good for us to jog on. I have no advice as far as a waist leash as I imagine if I used one of them I'd end up on the ground! Lol but if we jog it's different than a walk, he has a focus and a "job" that he isn't nearly as inclined to let his ADD fully set in. Horses are my other passion and I've taught him cues that I use on my horses to help direct him. I click to encourage him forward, "easy" when he needs to let up a bit, and "whoa" when we are coming to a stop.

also use a gentle leader on our walks. I'm thinking I would want to continue to use that?

Noooo. None of the "gentle" leaders are meant to be used when running.

That aside, the head type can cause neck/spinal injuries. The harness type that clip in the front cause gait issues.

Back