• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Rue is in the ICU

Kaiser2016

So happy to hear that she is ok! I too would want to get to the bottom of the cause…can you remember if there was any recent medication or vaccine before that first seizure occurred? The episodes sounded so scary!

JanS

DCF Owner
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
I'm glad she's feeling better - she's so gorgeous!

GennyB

Hot Topics Subscriber
can you remember if there was any recent medication or vaccine before that first seizure occurred?
Nothing new and definitely no vaccinations. The Vet said we will probably never know. Several months ago we suspect she was poisoned. Her symptoms occurred after hours so ER Vet it was. They were VERY busy that night and it was during the time owners couldn't go in. We left with no real answers. The next day her regular Vet called to follow up. I was concerned because Rue was having pretty severe tremors. The Vet asked if she could have been poisoned. She said it was too late to test for any but thought it was a real possibility. Is it? I suppose it could be. Our neighbors moved a few years ago and started rented their house next door. The first few renters there were okay. Just families moving in from out of state that needed a place until they found a place to buy. This one however has a been a problem for the whole neighborhood since day one. Between the 2 of them they have 4 boys ranging from high school to first year or 2 of college. They have been married almost 2 years and this is their 3rd place since then. They are loud, rowdy and fight all the time. The Dad is a biker that brings his friends over to drink and see whose bike is louder.
Our neighborhood gets together on a regular basis. We invited them when they first moved in. Rue didn't take to him at all. He decided that she WAS going to like him. That's a NO for me. Just leave the dog alone. So I put her up. He has taunted her since. Could he have done something? I wouldn't put it past him based on the behavior I have seen from him. I do know they have been asked to leave. Landlord just had too many complaints.

Kaiser2016

Rue didn't take to him at all. He decided that she WAS going to like him. That's a NO for me. Just leave the dog alone. So I put her up. He has taunted her since. Could he have done something? I wouldn't put it past him based on the behavior I have seen from him.
He’d be my number 1 suspect in all this too. Especially if he wanted her to like him. I worry more about someone poisoning a dog more than anything else really. How hard is it for someone to toss a piece of contaminated meat over the fence? Would it be visible to you? Would Rue eat it?

GennyB

Hot Topics Subscriber
Would it be visible to you?
We do have cameras. At the time the camera was moved for some reason (can't remember why) but I think he could work his way around to avoid the camera. Since the first incident we do walk the area on a regular basis.
Would Rue eat it?
I worry about this. We have trained for her not to take to take food but would she not be tempted by a extra tasty morsel found on the ground? I'm not that confident. She has been offered food when out and has always refused it.

Lizbeli

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
Actually she is stoned :rofl: Her med makes her drowsy. She is supposed to adjust to it and not be so drowsy within 2 weeks or so. She has already started, not near as drowsy as the first day.

OH haha, my apologies! She is still gorgeous though. Is she on Bromide by chance? My boy was on keppra and phenobarbital without too many side effects in the beginning, but the bromide really messed him up the first week. It was so hard for him.

Lizbeli

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
She's doing REALLY well!
I'm so confused by all of this. I have an appointment to take her in and hopefully get my questions answered.

I hope they can find a cause for you and it ends up being a one off thing. The search for a cause of seizures is often a long expensive road. I too wish I had a definitive answer for my past boy.

I am so so glad she is doing well! Give her lots of pets for me! I sympathize with your situation.