1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Rose (skin breakout)

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by radams, Feb 13, 2018.

1. radams

radams Jr Member

Hi....Rose is having a skin breakout for the 1st time. She is 4yo. The vet seen her 2wks ago for severe flakiness. He said to bathe her 1x week with RX of oatmeal/aloe shampoo. Now we have the bumps all down her back and 1 on her forehead. They will bleed if her brush gets to close. Need advice. She has had no changes in her diet. We do probiotics in am...coconut oil TBLspoon a day and oregano oil 3 drops about 3 days a week.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 2
  2. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Do you possibly have a pic ?
    This sorta sounds like hives but I’m not sure. What food is she eating ?

3. radams

radams Jr Member

She eats TOTW lamb. Has ate this for over a year

Attached Files:

4. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Just a few questions...Did the vet do a skin scrape? Has she had her thyroid checked? How's her coat other than dry? Any thinning especially in the flank area? Aside from the shampoo any new detergents or cleaning supplies?

5. radams

radams Jr Member

He didn’t do a skin scrape. Her last thyroid level was normal back in the fall. Her coat isn’t thinning but I found the bumps due to hair being raised up on back. Only thing new is a spray, I got at Pet Sense that I’ve been using on bedding. It has cinnamon and cedar oil in it.

6. GOD'S GRACE

GOD'S GRACE Notable member

That might be it...no smells or chemicals.... Grace is sensitive to all that stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. GOD'S GRACE

GOD'S GRACE Notable member

here's a few videos that might help too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. radams

radams Jr Member

Thanks....you’re not that far from me. Maybe we can get our girls together sometime!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Notable member

Totally agree. Both those are skin sensitizing ingredients!

10. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Sounds kind of like demodectic Mange, caused by mites. I would get a skin scrap to be sure.

• Like Like x 1
  11. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Also sometimes they can have a reaction to shampoos that have grains (like Oatmeal) in them! Things can be absorbed through the skin.

You have the exact name of the spray and take a pictures of the front and back of it where the ingredients list is.

What exact number was her Thyroid? Was it just a T4? Or a complete Thyroid Panel?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

When Ruby had dry skin the vet gave me oatmeal shampoo that did nothing, went to a second vet and they told me NOT to use the oatmeal shampoo as it had a drying effect on the skin.
    ALSO perhaps the ingredients in the TOTW have changed and she is having a reaction to it?