Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Roombas and dogs: Do they get along?

Discussion in 'The Pet Post (Non Doberman)' started by Kaiser2016, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I know a few of you have robot vacuums and I was thinking of getting one, but wanted to know how our psycho puppies handle a self propelled machine moving around in front of them. My biggest concern is having it get paw slapped and whether it is tough enough to handle that. Kaiser already play bows the vaccum when I’m using it, but he doesn’t seem interested in coming into contact with it so I hope that’s a good sign.

What are your findings?

Do you run it during the day while the dog is crated - does it spook them when it starts in your absense?

Are your dogs free when the machine is operating?

Do you teach them to leave it alone just to be extra safe?

2. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I'm glad you asked this. Against my wishes, my wife had her parents buy "us" a Roomba for Christmas. I say I do not want to condition my Dobe to ignore noises inside the house at night.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

What time of day does everyone run their Roomba?

Interesting point you bring up.

4. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I was going to say that it probably depends on what they think of a regular vacuum. Our dogs could care less. We've never had a Roomba and I doubt we'll get one since hubby is pretty picky about the carpets and doing it himself, but I'd say you can condition him to leave it alone.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. My2Dobies

My2Dobies Hot Topics Subscriber

I LOVE my Roomba! When we installed hardwood floors 2 years ago, I upgraded to the programmable WiFi version. Before we got Lexi, when we still had Lace, I would set it to run at various times, but usually at night. Lace was 10, and completely ignored it unless it was coming straight for her; then, she’d jump out of its way. But by then, she was trust-worthy enough to have free reign of the house.

Now with Lexi being a puppy, we are back to having gates throughout the house, and that pretty much nils being able to program it to clean more than one room automatically. So, first-world problems, I’m back to having to physically move it to one of 4 areas and push the button. (What a happy day it will be when I can lose the gates!). Even so, it’s a great tool. Lexi barked and carried on the first time or two that I ran it. I just said “yep, it’s a crazy machine”, told her to leave it, and went about my business as if it was no big deal. After that, she ignores it too. That being said, I still “protect” her from it by not locking her in a small area with it going . I also wouldn’t run it in the same room she’s crated in because it will be bumping against the crate, and I wouldn’t want her to be freaked out by that. As long as it can’t “trap” her in a small area, I’m not worried.

I can’t speak to other brands, but the Roomba, I believe, wouldn’t be hurt by a few paw slaps. It’s a pretty tough, solid machine. That said, I’m sure repeated full-weight pounces could eventually take its toll. I think it’s like anything that is “routine” to your life: tv noises, radio, etc; you can train your guy to leave it and it will just be a part of your household’s everyday life. Very worth it in my book!

For what it’s worth, I was never happy with how the older model with the actual bristle brushes cleaned our carpet: not the best job and tons of fuzz to clear out of the bristles. The newer model with “rubber” brushes does a much better job (although I still think it does better on tile or wood floors than carpet) with way less tangling.

One more reason to only run it when you are present, or only run it in rooms where you know your dogs are not present when you’re gone or asleep: imagine a dog with tummy trouble from either end having an accident and then Roomba driving through that mess and basically “painting” your floors with it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. crypticintent

crypticintent Jr Member

One of my coworkers had a the issue with floors getting painted due to a dog accident out the back end.

I couldn’t help but laugh.

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

8. Marinegeekswife

Marinegeekswife Hot Topics Subscriber

We've had one for a few years. At first the dogs barked at it, now they only care if it moves at them. Then they just side step it. I have it programmed to start while I'm taking my oldest to preschool and the dogs are either outside or crated.
    Here's when we first got it:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

We have a Roomba and it's the best thing I ever bought! In fact, now I have two ! :thumbsup: Buddy barked at it the first couple of times but soon ignored it. They can both care less. They won't move unless it's coming directly at them.:p

My findings are that Roomba is the best! Just my opinion but I absolutely love my Roomba. I have the 980 and the i7. Never had a problem. They clean better than me. They clean more often than me! LOL It takes a little experimenting to find out where it works best for setting them up and where are they might get stuck. I have one Parsons Table that is just high enough for it to go under but low enough that it gets stuck. After a few times of that I just put one of the virtual walls there so that it doesn't go under it. I've divided my first floor in half and each Roomba does a side. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. :D They automatically start at 8am. Our upstairs is only used when we have overnight guests and then I will set my 'girls' loose up there too. But on a regular schedule, the two of them work on the main floor 3 days a week. Sometimes on the weekend if I need them. Like I say, they do a better job than me. ;) and it's amazing what they pick up! When I first got it I was shocked ! I am a persnickety housekeeper! I thought maybe it was just tearing up my carpet. But then I took notice of everything that falls on the floor. Hay off my coat, dog hair, just look at all the dust that's in the air in the sunlight. It's incredible sometimes.

As far as the dogs, Buddy barked at it in the very beginning. But it didn't take long for them both to ignore it. I will run it even when I am not here. Nobody touches it. The only time they move is if it's coming directly at them. They're not afraid of it. They don't play with it. It's just a fixture in the house now.
    I definitely agree with that! Taking hair out of those bristles would be a pain. Mine is easy to clean. And I'll tell you a little secret. Although it's not really a secret. :p I have a little handheld blower that works awesome in conjunction with the Roomba! What an awesome tool that is! Our son had one first and then I saw how many uses it had that we got one too. When I got my Roomba it was the absolute perfect tool for taking my Roomba outside once in awhile and just blowing everything out of it. Even cleaning the filter is a breeze with this blower. Between the two of them I'm a happy camper!
    Yes my neighbor had a Roomba before I did and she never used it because her cats would throw up once in awhile. I think she was afraid of it running through that too. LOL I thought I read somewhere that the i7 now detects moisture and will go around. But I certainly don't want to test that out LOL maybe just a little bit of water? ;)

I'm so happy with mine that I've often wanted to write a review but I know I would go on and on just like I did here LOL

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I think your one boy was more concerned that his toy might get eaten by it.
    :spit:

• Funny Funny x 5
  11. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I watched this twice, first because I had to keep watching the Dobe with the stuffed teddy being totally adorable AND being investigative, and then a second time to watch the machine haha. Beautiful dogs! The video helps.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

We have a Deebot (the "dumb" but cheap version of the Roomba) and it is scheduled to run at 7:30a everyday. Rubie has never been bothered by it but Moo is a little more sensitive to it. He's gotten a lot better now that he's leaned it just bounces around and ignores him haha

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

This is awesome info, thank you! I also would like the cleaning to happen more often and better than what I am achieving with all my sweeping and vacuuming. The blower tool sounds like another good idea. I have used compressed air to knock dust out of the current vacuums. What kind of tool is the blower?

14. MyBuddy

It's an awesome little tool! I use it all the time. Sometimes I just go down my sidewalk and blow back all the mulch that the dog's mess onto the sidewalk. Or I blow the snow off my small deck right off the patio door. Or I've blown dirt off my clothes after mowing or weed whacking or what have you. When I got the Roomba's, I realized what a neat little tool it was for cleaning them too! I used to take the filter and just whack it against the top of the railing outside. One day I got the idea to use this blower and, OMG, you should see the stuff flying out of there! Cleans it's so much easier and more thorough! Here's the one I have.
    Milwaukee M18 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Compact Blower (Tool-Only)-0884-20 - The Home Depot

It has another piece to the hose part but I have it off in this picture. It's easier to use it shorter like this for cleaning up my Roomba filters. ;)

20190325_050902.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That's River, a girl. Actually Drake's sister from another mother. And one of G's progeny. Riv looks just like her Momma and acts just like her too. Makes me smile to see that video again.

I'm surprised to see all the positive reviews on the roomba. We had had one for a very short time. I think I sold it after about month. It kept getting stuck under our couch. Probably the style of this particular couch. It has an ottoman type thing that you can turn one end of it into a chaise. The roomba would just bounce off each leg of the ottoman so it went to the highest bidder.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow x 1
  16. MyBuddy

:mail::mail:Me! Haha, I would have bought that!

There are certain things that are just the right height to get it stuck. Like I said with my Parsons Table. After using it for a while you learn to work around the things it gets stuck on or under. That was not a deal-breaker for me! Everything else was just too awesome ! You can just use the included virtual wall to have it keep away from your couch like I did with my Parsons Table.

I don't know which model you had. I never had any of the older models and they may have been a hit or miss type, similar to @LifeofRubie . Those bounce and turn and keep going, but in a erratic pattern. Mine go in a designated pattern. They will go the length of the room, stop and turn and go back the other way. Never missing a spot on the floor. When it hits a chair or ottoman, it goes around each leg and then continues on. Then it does Edge Cleaning, cleaning the whole edge of the room. It rarely misses a spot. :) I'll have to post some video later.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Totally handy tool. And under a hundred bucks for all that power. Putting it on my Home Depot list! There is nothing worse than looking at a dusty vacuum cleaner.

18. MyBuddy

It will help keep your Roomba running great. Keeping the wheels free of dust and debris or hair wrapped around them saves drag on the battery life. You will find lots of other uses for that blower too! Our son takes it on his vacation to Colorado. He loves it for blowing out the car, the kids shoes etc. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Well bouncing around between the legs was just the last straw. We had a few other problems like the first wouldn't work. Had to return it for a replacement. I wasn't happy with the job it did in the end so selling it was for best for us.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MyBuddy

Like all technology, it gets better and better. I'm sure some of the older models were not as good as what they're putting out now. And I'll tell you, when I was down with my concussion, it was really nice to have my girls help me out. :D I think these can be really handy for elderly people who have a hard time getting around. Those that can't push a vacuum or get down on their hands and knees to clean. This would be a lifesaver.

• Agree Agree x 2