Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Rio is in surgery!

Discussion in 'The Pet Post (Non Doberman)' started by Brioddy, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Brioddy

Brioddy Notable member

Just got home from the vet.

It’s been a long weekend. Saturday at 4 am Rio woke me up with subsequent vomiting, by 9:30 which is when I leave for work he looked down but was drinking and no longer vomiting. I came home as soon as I could at 3:30 and took him to the closest after hours clinic, where they diagnose him as having worms and send me off with pyrantel and nothing else. I thought worms sounded suspicious because of how acutely he became sick, and I deworm them quarterly. His condition did not improve throughout Sunday and he won’t even look at food, he vomited a couple more times but still drinks. I called the ER vet twice at different times in the day with a few questions and they never called me back. Fairly disappointed and won’t be going back there, I felt like it was “thanks for your money, see ya!” I showed up at his regular vets office when they opened at 7:30 this morning and they took him in right away, did a full blood panel, pancreatitis test, and x rays of his abdomen. Thank goodness he does not have pancreatitis or a blockage, and he hasn’t had a fever either. The vet gave him two bags of fluids via a catheter, antibiotics, and a shot for nausea. He sent me home with more antibiotics and probiotics but I am bringing him back at 3 this afternoon to be re-evaluated. He is so obviously miserable and I have been beside myself with worry, please send some good vibes for my poor little boy.

C2C4C3A4-5927-4048-BAF5-DADF3C44AC11.jpeg

• Empathetic Empathetic x 14
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  2. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

oh, NOOOO! They don't have any ideas as to what's going on??? Didn't eat anything toxic, I hope? Poor guy :( Please keep us posted.

For names... why did you name him Rio?

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  3. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Worms? Based on what? I could be wrong, but I’d expect weight loss to be the first sign of worms and worms take a while too.

How is his stool? That he’s still drinking water is a good sign. Can you think back to what all he ate before this started? Maybe some human food didn’t agree with him? Eating something disagreeable while outside?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brioddy

Brioddy Notable member

Rio is a notorious “pruner” in that he loves to chew on sticks, plants, basically sticks his nose into everything so it is very possible he got into something outside. At this point that’s the best guess we can come up with, he shreds certain toys but doesn’t eat them. I am thankful it’s not a blockage or pancreatitis but I’m almost equally uneasy about not knowing what it is. His poop... oh my, well it’s like a jet nozzle of dark brown water coming out his rear. And the stench is horrendous.

I almost can’t tell if he’s even getting better. He’s very subdued, turns his nose up at everything even some nice warm chicken and rice.

I named him Rio because it seemed to fit him, and he loves the water. I thought about naming him “Rio Suave” but wondered if it was too cheesy. Just want him to get better :(

• Empathetic Empathetic x 5
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  5. LifeofRubie

I would be careful to rule out blockage. Sometimes sticks and mulch don't show up. An IG account I follow just discovered that some pieces of mulch have been working their way through their Dobes intestines for MONTHS, poking holes along the way. She would vomit and be ill for a few days and then recover, repeat, repeat, until she took a turn for the worse and they did some closer looking and had to go in and find the pieces. Her insides had basically all adhered together to try and protect themselves so it was quite messy.

Generally speaking, if a material floats in water, it's not really detectable via x-ray. I'm sure they were looking for gas or food building up that might indicate a blockage, too. HOPEFULLY that's not the case and he feels better soon. Poor guy.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. LifeofRubie

I will add, when I was convinced my last boy had a blockage and the ER vet turned me away while scolding me for feeding raw and the regular vet watched him for a day and sent him home with "he ate a little so seems fine," (Tobie never ate 'a little') and then another vet at our regular clinic confirmed it was blockage, it was too little too late. Be persistent if you feel they're misdiagnosing. IF it is blockage, the sooner they sort it out, the better.

not sure if barium would be a better way to get an idea of what's going on in his intestines as I'm no vet.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Brioddy

Brioddy Notable member

Dang, well I certainly appreciate the info but definitely didn’t make me feel better! The vet did say there was gas in there. Would he still be pooping, even with how awful it is, if there was something stuck in there? I’m leaving in an hour to take him back so I can ask whatever else I need to.

8. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Last time I saw this from Kaiser, he had been dumpster diving and got into some rotten chicken. First he threw up the chicken breasts whole. Then the explosive diarrhea started. As long as his poop isn’t bloody or black, I’m going to “hope” for food poisoning.

Ask the vet about this too given his pruning nature. Can you take in a poop sample? They can at least rule out worms.

The other dogs are all fine right? Just wondering about contamination risk now...

9. Brioddy

Brioddy Notable member

I haven’t noticed any blood, and it’s not quite black but is a dark brown. The other two dogs are perfectly normal, though a little under with all that’s going on. They know he’s sick too. He was fine Friday night, we were outside before bed time so who knows... he puked up his kibble around 4 am and then nothing but viscous fluid after that.

10. Brioddy

Brioddy Notable member

I forgot to mention that his white blood cell count is low, which suggests his body is fighting “something”.

11. Brioddy

Brioddy Notable member

Rios currently in surgery. The vet saw what indicates a blockage in a second x Ray and immediately took him in to open him up and see what he can do.

I’m basically a mess right now.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 12
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Hey, hang in there! At least they are treating him now. Please keep us posted. Keeping you in my thoughts.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  13. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

OMG, poor Rio!! I hope you don't mind, but I moved these posts to its own thread so Rio can get more prayers!! Please let us know when he is out of surgery. We are praying for him!

14. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

This is sad :( I’m so sorry your boy isn’t feeling well :( is he doing any better ?

15. bulldobe

bulldobe New Member

any update?

16. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

I’m so sorry to here this. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Rio.

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  17. CRDobe

CRDobe Notable member

Poor Rio! Poor you!! Sending good thoughts your way - please keep us updated!

18. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I am so very saddened to hear this. We use BIPS at the clinic and because we get so many coming in with FBOs (usually coral pearock) wood sticks, mulch and zoysia grass balls that require surgery. It’s really difficult to determine on an X-ray to see an obstruction as most things do not fluoresce on a radiograph. All his symptoms are indicative of FBO.

Please let us know as soon as you can. You and Rio are in our prayers!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Just now seeing this, so sorry to read this!!

Okay, started Saturday and in surgery today. You caught it in time, I believe.

With both of Ragnar’s obstruction surgery’s, I believe it wore on me more than it did him.

Surgery Saturday and home on Monday.

Keep us updated.

20. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Wow. Sorry to hear this! Poor, good looking fella'.

So glad they checked again for a blockage.

Wishing him a very quick recovery!