Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Rhea's teeth

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Dnetmd, May 1, 2019.

1. Dnetmd

Dnetmd $ Premium Subscriber $

I know I am such a worry wart... Today while checking Rhea's teeth, specifically her broken canine, I noticed that her bottom puppy canines are digging into her top gums. I was hoping somebody can tell me this is normal. Of course I am hoping her adult teeth will grow in and fix itself. Curious of your thoughts. I've got to schedule a booster for her in a couple weeks. If it can wait until the vet can look at it then or if it needs to be addressed sooner?

Attached Files:

2. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

We had something like this with Shadow. But our vet brought it to our attention. We were told to gently put pressure from the inside, bottom of the teeth and push outward. I would take my thumbs put them at the base of the teeth and push/pulse outward. 2 times a day. I did this with both baby and adult teeth and we were able to get them to no longer hit the upper gums. We were told that if that didn’t work than we would need to get her a retainer. Luckily it worked and didn’t need to go that route. Like that’s what I needed braces for my pup as if 2 sets for the kids wasn’t enough.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Dnetmd

Thank you! That is very helpful and I will surely give it a shot. I would like to avoid that too.

4. Dnetmd

She is such a ham. She fell back asleep as I was applying pressure on her bottom canines and now she is sleeping like this.

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  5. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

It’s great bonding too. In one of the training classes I was one of the few who could touch Shadow all over her body without a reaction.

• Like Like x 3
  6. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I don't think I've seen a case exactly like that personally but I'm sure it can wait until your normal vet visit to see what they have to say about it. It looks like a couple of crooked teeth there and the fact that the one tooth is broken doesn't help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  7. Dnetmd

My vet gave this advice when I asked about Rhea's teeth so thank you. We were already on the ball. They are starting to look better and when her adult teeth come in I can get started on them early.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

That looks like malocclusion:/

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Two people I know dobermans has this both out of EREBUS. Both pups had to have the canine removed. One pup had to have both bottom canines removed :/

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  10. Dnetmd

Yes! Google was not my friend when looking up the issue. I read and saw some bad cases. The vet wasn't too concerned when she went in this week. I think it already looks better than it did from doing the exercises above. When her adult teeth come in I am going to keep doing what I am doing to hopefully avoid any dental surgeries and/or braces. :)

• Like Like x 3
  11. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I hope you keep us updated once her adult teeth come in. This information could be useful for anyone else with the same issue. Either way I hope that it is able to be fixed I can’t imagine its comfortable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Dnetmd

No problem! Will do.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Yikes! Removed? They couldn’t just file them down until they didn’t hit the gums?

14. Dnetmd

Rhea's teeth have very much improved! I did pulse them every once in a while but not as much as I probably was supposed to. I'm not sure if I made a difference or if her jaw growing and the adult teeth are fixing themselves growing in. Her right side looks to be in the safe zone but the left is still slightly tucked under the gum. Pics of her pearly whites and a smile. Big difference from the baby teeth in the original post.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1