Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Rhea's first ear post-It's not pretty

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Dnetmd, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Dnetmd

Dnetmd Jr Member

Posting an uncooperative pup was not the easiest job. The tape kept getting all twisted up. She has a piece of cartilage that blocks the opening of one ear that makes it hard to get deep down into the pocket. I had to angle the bottom of the 1/2 in rod to get it deep enough into her right ear.

I could still cut off about a quarter of an inch of the rod from the top but I'm not too worried about it and I think we both need a break. Every time I touch her ears now she starts scratching. She is napping peacefully now.

This is going to take some practice. Any tips, advice or criticism of my post job? Appreciate it!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  2. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Looks great! On picture #3 I noticed you didn’t backtape all the way down on the post. If they pop out I would back-tape as far low as you can.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Dnetmd

Dnetmd Jr Member

Gotcha! Will do. Thanks!

4. Dnetmd

Dnetmd Jr Member

They are still holding up.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  5. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

You did a really nice job! The only thing I would suggest is one size smaller backer rod if you're having trouble getting the one seated deep enough into the ear. I start out with 1/2", then move to 5/8" when they grow a bit.

What a cutie!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

I wasn’t sure about the backer rod either. In some pics it looks thicker and in others not so much.

I used to stretch the backer rod before I taped them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  7. Dnetmd

Dnetmd Jr Member

Thank you! Hubby is going to Home Depot today to look for the 3/8 in to see if it fits better than the 1/2 in for now. Going to give that a shot.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JanS

Oh wow she must have tiny canals since that looks bigger than 1/2" in the photos. I think the 3/8" will work much better for you then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

If you stretch them they do get slightly thinner. I would hold one end and then pinch and pull/slide all the way up. Kinda hard to describe but sort of like curling ribbon - but without scissors. Does that make sense?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dnetmd

Dnetmd Jr Member

Yep! I’ll have another shot to try it out tonight. She just shook one loose.

11. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

You look like you did a fantastic job. I promise it will get better and easier, just keep at it- you will figure out what works.

Back tape all the way down and leave bottom 1/8” exposed to cushion bottom of ear.

Man, you brought back some memories with this thread!

Posting ears game changers

12. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Great job!

13. crypticintent

crypticintent Jr Member

4C0E5582-C56B-469C-A215-93DCBCAE977B.jpeg First ear post is much prettier and less tape than our initial one. It's great just keep it up

• Like Like x 1
  14. ArdynBane

ArdynBane New Member

It looks great actually!

I wish I had known this trick when I first posted Bane's ears: Baby powder on the back of the ears protects the fur from being ripped out when you're changing posts! Just get regular baby powder, dab it with a cotton ball, and just dab it on the back of her ears so the tape won't rip her fur out when you change posts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dnetmd

Dnetmd Jr Member

Need advice on this too please. Rhea scratched her ear last night and there is a little raw spot and blood on the inner side at the base. Does this call for neosporin? Safe to leave ears posted while healing? Its hard to see in these photos but the raw spot is on the small side.

Attached Files:

16. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Its so small I would probably still post. My guy got a small raw spot like that when I switched to a different tape (sticking to Zonas tape now). It was on the tip of his ear. I put a small piece of gauze to soak up any blood or moisture from it. Healed within 2-3 days. But I checked it often and put a new peice of guaze on a few times a day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. JanS

It looks fine to me too and you can always move the tape up a hair.

18. Dnetmd

Dnetmd Jr Member

Getting ready to do a repost. She keeps scratching and now has a raw spot on the other side too. Should I clean the ear with just water? Worried about the alcohol burning the raw areas. I've been putting some medicated gold bond on her ears and it seems to keep her from scratching for a bit.

19. JanS

You're right not wanting to use alcohol since it probably would burn. The Gold Bond sounds like a good plan if it keeps from scratching so much.

20. Skatchkeb

Skatchkeb New Member

I'm not sure if you started to, but you should put a small wrap of gauze on the bottom of the post, it's less irritating than having the backer rod texture right in your ear canal.

• Agree Agree x 1