• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Resource guarding owner

Stoop44rio

Hi, well I have slight issue with this resource guarding recently with me being the resource!
Puppy is just over 10 months. Everyone in the family has being growled/snapped at in my presence. If I'm not there the dogs quite happy with family members.
My youngest son(14) has starting playing more with the dog(tug) and some light training (giving paw etc). I've now noticed a difference with the dog towards him. He's quite excited to see him come into a room.
My youngest daughter(16) is afraid of him now so there's no way she will play with him although I have got her to feed treats ( she throws them at him). Wife is not a dog person and really just gives him dinner sometimes I'm not there.
So how can I stop this behaviour? Any ideas.
Forgot to say this doesn't happen every time I'm in the room with the family/dog. But it's happened alot recently.

Last edited:
With your supervision I’d have the 16 year old start giving all meals.
It puts her in a place of power to the dog. Make sure she knows this;) :D

You need to be correcting him on behavior. I’ve just started dealing with a similar issue. My male guarding from the new 1 year old female :dobe:
On the couch as an example he laying by me and she comes to try and get in the middle and he growled and popped off.
So, verbal No and now neither dog allowed on the couch immediately.

You might want to also point it to the girls the change in attitude with your boy. A little effort and!!!
Respect gained;)

Consistently in backing rules and commands is a key.

Hi, well I have slight issue with this resource guarding recently with me being the resource!
Puppy is just over 10 months. Everyone in the family has being growled/snapped at in my presence. If I'm not there the dogs quite happy with family members.
My youngest son(14) has starting playing more with the dog(tug) and some light training (giving paw etc). I've now noticed a difference with the dog towards him. He's quite excited to see him come into a room.
My youngest daughter(16) is afraid of him now so there's no way she will play with him although I have got her to feed treats ( she throws them at him). Wife is not a dog person and really just gives him dinner sometimes I'm not there.
So how can I stop this behaviour? Any ideas.
Forgot to say this doesn't happen every time I'm in the room with the family/dog. But it's happened alot recently.
Correct the dog, that should not be allowed. Everyone in the house needs to some form of training so the dog understands it pkacebin your pack.

Correct the dog in what way?
Is your dog on the couch, bed or chair with you when this happens? Do you keep a collar on him and or a short tab style 12” long leash? If not I would put one on him so you can verbally give a no command, a quick snap of the lead/collar and make him sit on the floor.
You must be firm with the correction but fair.

He should have all his privileges removed and teach NILIF (nothing in life is free). He must earn his food, treats, toys, access to you, furniture etc.

If he wants a toy then he must work for it by you giving a command such as sit or down. Then when he complies you reward the positive behavior with a toy.
When you feed him, make him sit and wait until you give a release command. His reward is his food.

He has to view you and the rest of the family as his leader and growling, snapping won’t be tolerated by any of the family. Everyone needs to be on the same page with training.

I would find a trainer in your area to teach you how to train your dog while he is working with your dog. I would also recommend getting a trainer that is familiar with training this breed. Get your kids involved with the training classes.

I believe once your dobe has manners, your wife will come around to wanting to be more involved with the dog.
This breed has a way of changing one’s thoughts on having dogs.
Once you get through the doberteens and they start maturing you will find a magnificent creature that will steal your heart and make you feel safe and proud.

Correct the dog in what way?
Depends on the dog but s leash correctionnof some sort. I would keep a tab or short leash on the dogs collar so I can grab it quickly. Give a negative reinforcer then correction followed by a command of obedience (sit or down) once the comply use your positive reinforcer and give some kind of reward.

Is your dog on the couch, bed or chair with you when this happens? Do you keep a collar on him and or a short tab style 12” long leash? If not I would put one on him so you can verbally give a no command, a quick snap of the lead/collar and make him sit on the floor.
You must be firm with the correction but fair.

He should have all his privileges removed and teach NILIF (nothing in life is free). He must earn his food, treats, toys, access to you, furniture etc.

If he wants a toy then he must work for it by you giving a command such as sit or down. Then when he complies you reward the positive behavior with a toy.
When you feed him, make him sit and wait until you give a release command. His reward is his food.

He has to view you and the rest of the family as his leader and growling, snapping won’t be tolerated by any of the family. Everyone needs to be on the same page with training.

I would find a trainer in your area to teach you how to train your dog while he is working with your dog. I would also recommend getting a trainer that is familiar with training this breed. Get your kids involved with the training classes.

I believe once your dobe has manners, your wife will come around to wanting to be more involved with the dog.
This breed has a way of changing one’s thoughts on having dogs.
Once you get through the doberteens and they start maturing you will find a magnificent creature that will steal your heart and make you feel safe and proud.
This all has/is being done. A loud no with a sharp jerk of his choke chain or collar. He is in training and works for all his treats/dinner. Sits/stays/waits at open doors etc.
These incidents only take place around the house thankfully nothing yet outside with strangers. He's not on furniture or his bed or anything like that when it happens.
In fact it just happened again in the past 10mins. I'm cooking with most of family in kitchen/dining room. Dog is playing with my son when my daughter walked towards me he suddenly starts growling/hard eye at her then I shout he turned growled at my son who 10 seconds before was playing with. I jerked his collar he stops. I put him out back to cool off.
One minute happy go lucky next snarling scary dog. I can't understand what's setting him off.

He is challenging authority like most teens.

Not to get personal or anything but do you have a calm energy about you or a hyper, active type energy?
The reason I ask this is because this occurred with my male but it was directed at my female. If I gave him a command he just gave me a stubborn stare. I had to get his leash to remove him from my bed. The twins behaviorist said it was my energy and gave me breathing exercises to do and how to up my game on being the leader. I tend to have a high amperage personality and find it difficult to tone it to a calm level. My energy fed down the leash to my boy.
My hubs has a low, calm energy and both my dobes tended to be more mellow once I was removed from the situation.

It sure stung to think my energy caused all the disruptive behavior. Took me a long time to overcome this. I still have the high energy but I direct it differently.

I have a calm personality I would say. There's one thing possibly that may have upset the dog, my daughter (21) has come home for Christmas from uni which coincides with the growling beginning. He didn't seem to remember her from before and she was the first one the growling started with.
????

This all has/is being done. A loud no with a sharp jerk of his choke chain or collar. He is in training and works for all his treats/dinner. Sits/stays/waits at open doors etc.
These incidents only take place around the house thankfully nothing yet outside with strangers. He's not on furniture or his bed or anything like that when it happens.
In fact it just happened again in the past 10mins. I'm cooking with most of family in kitchen/dining room. Dog is playing with my son when my daughter walked towards me he suddenly starts growling/hard eye at her then I shout he turned growled at my son who 10 seconds before was playing with. I jerked his collar he stops. I put him out back to cool off.
One minute happy go lucky next snarling scary dog. I can't understand what's setting him off.
Do not shout or yell, this can be a trigger and might Escalade his bad behavior. Just a calm but firm no command followed by a correction.

Ok so a little update on this in case anyone has similar problems. Youngest son now feeds him in the mornings before school and plays/works with the dog everyday.
There has been a complete turn around in the dogs attitude towards him. He now runs to greet him ears back playful barks etc. So now they are best buddies.
However the wife is not a doggy person at all so there's been no change there. Still alot of growling at her. We're off to see a trainer in a few weeks to see what he can do although I suspect he will ask my wife to interact with the dog more.

I just found this thread today.

So nice to see there is a positive change in your Dobe after your efforts. It sounds, after your update, like it's a matter of training as you believe.

My previous Doberman exhibited problems like this, but despite my best efforts, they never got better. He would go off on my wife or house guests both predictably and unpredictably. It was the unpredictable part that was hard. I know it's logical to think that the right training would have solved it, but in our case I think he actually had something wrong in his brain.

One common scenario was that my Dobe and I would be in a room together, and when my wife would enter the room he would charge her, snapping. Basically, if my Dobe was in between me and another person, that person was at risk. I consulted one trainer familiar with working breeds and Schutzhund (my boy's lines were pretty heavy in that) and the trainer said it's known that one should not let that physical arrangement happen with breeds like ours (She currently had a German Shepherd). I'm thinking: Really? How is it possible to always avoid that scenario?

Anyway, Just sharing.

This is a dominance issue. He accepts you as the alpha & pack leader but he is challenging family members and succeeding.
He needs to learn his place in the pack is dead last period & PRONTO! (Ok the cat if you have one can be dead last LOL!)

I am sure there are many here that will disagree with what I am about to post next. So be it.
I am not going to sugar coat this problem. I am not talking about appropriate aggressive & protective behaviors towards strangers or people that are a threat. We are talking about Dobermans not Pugs here. I have a N.A x Euro cross because I think most NA breeders and the AKC have lost sight of the fact that Dobermans were bred to be protection dogs.

If you want take the lovey dovey warm & fuzzy training approach to dangerous behavior thats your call and when somebody gets hurt and animal control officers come for your dog thats on you.
I believe in positive reinforcement & positive training methods as much as anybody.
But this is serious business for all involved. It's dangerous for both the family and the dog .
Dogs that hurt innocent & non threatening people end up getting destroyed and their owners sued.

This a behavior I simply do not tolerate.
Showing any form of aggressive behavior towards me or any family members is at the top of my list of things I don't ever let my dog do.
I don't care if it's a baby, small child or my great-grandmother.
I never let any of my dogs get away with threatening any family member, not even once.

I make no apologies for my "No one.. yet alone my dog threatens me or my family ever!!" position on this. Man or beast no different in my book. I love & protect my family and my dogs are family to me.

If they do I respond in such a way that they will never do it again.
It will be immediate & a very unpleasant lesson..as it should be.

I am a big guy 6'2" 250#s
On the very rare occasions my dogs have tried this in the past
(After 40+ years & 6 dobes of my own and fostering
more dobe rescues than I can name .)
It has happened only 3 times... 2 were males around 8 & 10 moths old and a 15 month old bitch that we fostering for a rescue.

(Note) If you are not 100% confident in your role as alpha & pack leader call in a professional that is. If the dog does not respect you as alpha you will get hurt.

I handled it this way...
I grabbed them by the scruff of their neck (Just like an alpha wolf does) pinned them on the ground. Grabbed them by their throat and made myself as big and scary as I possibly could.
I looked them directly in the eye and literally growled at them as loud as I could.
When I let them go I chased them off into their safe space AKA their crate. And gave them time to reflect on what just took place. After they processed what just took place all of them came to me exibiting very submissive behavior. I petted them and the lesson was over and done.
It was not an experience that they ever wished to repeat and they never did.

My actions were proportionate and age appropriate.
I don't respond to a 8 month old doberteen the same way I would to a full grown dog.
And yes there were some pretty over the top theatrics involved.
Just like when I am playing with a small puppy and they get a bit too rough and bite a little too hard.
I will yipe, yelp ,cry and "act" like they really hurt me. They always respond with a "I am sorry behavior" Give me kisses and then play gentle.

As I stated in the beginning this is a dominance problem in your pack/family and I am not going to sugar coat it.
You as pack leader let a member of the pack bully & threaten another member of the pack.
That was a failure of you as alpha and pack leader. It is your resposnability to protect everyone in your pack/family.
Learn from it.

I will close with this..
If one of your children pulled a knife or weapon on another family member and threatened them with serious injury would you allow it?
Or would you take action the moment it happened and make it crystal clear that that is never ok and will never will be allowed...EVER!
Would you allow somebody else's dog threaten your family members?
If not, why are you letting your family dog do it?

I know my post won't be popular or agreed with by many here and that fine.
It's not politically correct in this age of micro aggression & safe spaces.
I don't tolerate canine terrorist or 4 legged wrecking balls in my pack/family.
And for the life of me I don't understand why anybody does.

Be a loving but firm leader and your dog will trust, follow and love you for life.

Good luck!

MR

PS For those reading this that think I am some big ogar that likes to be mean to my dog to prove what a tough guy I am. Here is a photo of Maja and me in my bed taking a nap after a trip to the park. As you can tell she doesn't love or trust me. LOL!
IMG_E8290.JPG

Last edited:
This is a dominance issue. He accepts you as the alpha & pack leader but he is challenging family members and succeeding.
He needs to learn his place in the pack is dead last period & PRONTO! (Ok the cat if you have one can be dead last LOL!)

I am sure there are many here that will disagree with what I am about to post next. So be it.
I am not going to sugar coat this problem. I am not talking about appropriate aggressive & protective behaviors towards strangers or people that are a threat. We are talking about Dobermans not Pugs here. I have a N.A x Euro cross because I think most NA breeders and the AKC have lost sight of the fact that Dobermans were bred to be protection dogs.

If you want take the lovey dovey warm & fuzzy training approach to dangerous behavior thats your call and when somebody gets hurt and animal control officers come for your dog thats on you.
I believe in positive reinforcement & positive training methods as much as anybody.
But this is serious business for all involved. It's dangerous for both the family and the dog .
Dogs that hurt innocent & non threatening people end up getting destroyed and their owners sued.

Showing any form of aggressive behavior towards me or any family members is at the top of my list of things I don't ever let my dog do.
I don't care if it's a baby, small child or my great-grandmother.
I never let any of my dogs get away with threatening any family member, not even once.

I make no apologies for my "No one.. yet alone my dog threatens me or my family ever!!" position on this. Man or beast no different in my book. I love & protect my family and my dogs are family to me.

If they do I respond in such a way that they will never do it again.
It will be immediate & a very unpleasant lesson..as it should be.

I am a big guy 6'2" 250#s
On the very rare occasions my dogs have tried this in the past
(After 40+ years & 6 dobes of my own and fostering
more dobe rescues than I can name .)
It has happened only 3 times... 2 were males around 8 & 10 moths old and a 15 month old bitch that we fostering for a rescue.

(Note) If you are not 100% confident in your role as alpha & pack leader call in a professional that is. If the dog does not respect you as alpha you will get hurt.

I handled it this way...
I grabbed them by the scruff of their neck (Just like an alpha wolf does) pinned them on the ground. Grabbed them by their throat and made myself as big and scary as I possibly could.
I looked them directly in the eye and literally growled at them as loud as I could.
When I let them go I chased them off into their safe space AKA their crate. And gave them time to reflect on what just took place. After they processed what just took place all of them came to me exibiting very submissive behavior. I petted them and the lesson was over and done.
It was not an experience that they ever wished to repeat and they never did.

My actions were proportionate and age appropriate.
I don't respond to a 8 month old doberteen the same way I would to a full grown dog.
And yes there were some pretty over the top theatrics involved.
Just like when I am playing with a small puppy and they get a bit too rough and bite a little too hard.
I will yipe, yelp ,cry and "act" like they really hurt me. They always respond with a "I am sorry behavior" Give me kisses and then play gentle.

As I stated in the beginning this is a dominance problem in your pack/family and I am not going to sugar coat it.
You as pack leader let a member of the pack bully & threaten another member of the pack.
That was a failure of you as alpha and pack leader. It is your resposnability to protect everyone in your pack/family.
Learn from it.

I will close with this..
If one of your children pulled a knife or weapon on another family member and threatened them with serious injury would you allow it?
Or would you take action the moment it happened and make it crystal clear that that is never ok and will never will be allowed...EVER!
Would you allow somebody else's dog threaten your family members?
If not, why are you letting your family dog do it?

I know my post won't be popular or agreed with by many here and that fine.
It's not politically correct in this age of micro aggression & safe spaces.
I don't tolerate canine terrorist or 4 legged wrecking balls in my pack/family.
And for the life of me I don't understand why anybody does.

Be a loving but firm leader and your dog will trust, follow and love you for life.

Good luck!

MR

PS For those reading this that think I am some big ogar that likes to be mean to my dog to prove what a tough guy I am. Here is a photo of Maja and me in my bed taking a nap after a trip to the park. As you can tell she doesn't love or trust me. LOL!
View attachment 105066
Yep. You make good sense, and it's refreshing to read.

Here is where life sucks and is a complicated thing: My previous Doberman would go after people, and did it to my wife on three different occasions. I know: My failure right? Well, maybe, but I really don't think so – at least not in terms of the problem that Dobe had.

As much as it pains me to remember these things – so far removed from the moment – each time my Dobe went after my wife and I was present, I grabbed his scruff, swept his legs out from under him, grabbed his throat with both hands, mounted him so as to be straddling him and got right in his face, issuing verbal condemnation of what this 90 pound working Doberman had done.

Problem? Zero submission from him. It just got him aggressive. Best I could do is call a stalemate as I sat there on top of him, and slowly begin to remove the pressure. He did not assume a submissive posture at all after I let him up. He just stood there.

So yeah. We were dealing with a problem dog. A great Doberman, but great if I were an antisocial bachelor like I used to be. Now, I'm just antisocial :rofl:

Yep. You make good sense, and it's refreshing to read.

Here is where life sucks and is a complicated thing: My previous Doberman would go after people, and did it to my wife on three different occasions. I know: My failure right? Well, maybe, but I really don't think so – at least not in terms of the problem that Dobe had.

As much as it pains me to remember these things – so far removed from the moment – each time my Dobe went after my wife and I was present, I grabbed his scruff, swept his legs out from under him, grabbed his throat with both hands, mounted him so as to be straddling him and got right in his face, issuing verbal condemnation of what this 90 pound working Doberman had done.

Problem? Zero submission from him. It just got him aggressive. Best I could do is call a stalemate as I sat there on top of him, and slowly begin to remove the pressure. He did not assume a submissive posture at all after I let him up. He just stood there.

So yeah. We were dealing with a problem dog. A great Doberman, but great if I were an antisocial bachelor like I used to be. Now, I'm just antisocial :rofl:

I think the issue here is you missed the 2nd key part of the alpha wolf behavior equation...Dogs are social pack animals and generally don't like to be isolated from their pack.

"When I let them go I chased them off into their safe space AKA their crate. And gave them time to reflect on what just took place. After they processed what just took place all of them came to me exibiting very submissive behavior. I petted them and the lesson was over and done.

There was "no slowly begin to remove the pressure" I let them go quickly and then I immediately chased them away from the pack. Me chasing and the dog running away from me seeking their safe space is the start of the submissive process...

Remember me talking about theatrics ?
Well, part 2 the release and me chasing the dog to the safety it's crate (AKA den) involved a lot of theatrics. Everything took place fast. I never gave the dogs a chance to process if this was going to be a win or draw
2 things need to go thru the dogs mind when this is taking place .
A) I want to this to end.. I hope the alpha doesn't rip my throat out and kill me.
B) I need to get away from my very p*ssed off alpha that is chasing me and hide.

No ending in stalemate. The dog must exhibit its submission to me as the pack leader.
No submission - Then no return to the pack or forgiveness from the alpha.

I hope this makes sense.
Cheers.
MR

I think the issue here is you missed the 2nd key part of the alpha wolf behavior equation...Dogs are social pack animals and generally don't like to be isolated from their pack.

"When I let them go I chased them off into their safe space AKA their crate. And gave them time to reflect on what just took place. After they processed what just took place all of them came to me exibiting very submissive behavior. I petted them and the lesson was over and done.

There was "no slowly begin to remove the pressure" I let them go quickly and then I immediately chased them away from the pack. Me chasing and the dog running away from me seeking their safe space is the start of the submissive process...

Remember me talking about theatrics ?
Well, part 2 the release and me chasing the dog to the safety it's crate (AKA den) involved a lot of theatrics. Everything took place fast. I never gave the dogs a chance to process if this was going to be a win or draw
2 things need to go thru the dogs mind when this is taking place .
A) I want to this to end.. I hope the alpha doesn't rip my throat out and kill me.
B) I need to get away from my very p*ssed off alpha that is chasing me and hide.

No ending in stalemate. The dog must exhibit its submission to me as the pack leader.
No submission - Then no return to the pack or forgiveness from the alpha.

I hope this makes sense.
Cheers.
MR
Thanks. I guess I hadn't thought of/heard of the chasing the dog off technique.

My first thought is he would have stood his ground/moved toward me snapping his jaws – which would have put me in a very difficult place, as I can't tolerate the dog biting or attempting to bite me – not without a response from me. That's part of why I call it a stalemate: He has me over the barrel that I don't want him to get aggressive/bite me, and he has just experienced some of my most serious stern treatment. We were both willing to just stand there and do nothing more.

I will say this: I found out when I was in talks with his breeder over returning him to them (we now had a toddler in the household, and yes, he had stiffened up and gotten that far away look in his eye on one occasion toward the toddler), that my Dobe's brother (his only littermate) had to be put down years prior for what was described as "violent siezures" and "rages."

Thanks. I guess I hadn't thought of/heard of the chasing the dog off technique.

My first thought is he would have stood his ground/moved toward me snapping his jaws – which would have put me in a very difficult place, as I can't tolerate the dog biting or attempting to bite me – not without a response from me. That's part of why I call it a stalemate: He has me over the barrel that I don't want him to get aggressive/bite me, and he has just experienced some of my most serious stern treatment. We were both willing to just stand there and do nothing more.

I will say this: I found out when I was in talks with his breeder over returning him to them (we now had a toddler in the household, and yes, he had stiffened up and gotten that far away look in his eye on one occasion toward the toddler), that my Dobe's brother (his only littermate) had to be put down years prior for what was described as "violent siezures" and "rages."

Thats really scary!
If it's a brain disorder, neurological or medical issue then thats a completely different problem.
I had a friend who's 9 year old doberman suddenly started growling whenever you touched his back.
Turned out the dog had bone cancer and it hurt him when you petted him there.

Aggressive behavior can have many differant causes.
And one can't properly address it without knowing the under lying issues causing the behavior.

Is it lack of socialization? Are they exerting their dominance? Jealously? Yep dogs get jealous too especially if someone new comes into their owners life and the relationship changes drasticly like a new baby or marriage.

An abused dog that is a defensive fear biter is completely different problem than untrained & undisciplined 4 legged tyrant that bullies anyone that dare cross them.

But the bottom line is what ever the cause is it needs to addressed before anyone gets hurt.

MR

Showing any form of aggressive behavior towards me or any family members is at the top of my list

I handled it this way...
When I let them go I chased them off into their safe space AKA their crate. And gave them time to reflect on what just took place.

I read your post yesterday. The whole time I was thinking, yes! I am no expert. I usually go by my experience, what I've learned. And my gut. And my gut is telling me that no way, No how, would I allow a dog to growl at my family. :tap: I know sometimes people think it's cute or they think it's being protective. But that's an issue that could get out of hand real fast. If my dog growled at my husband, I would never put up with that. And God forbid he growled at one of my children! There would be hell to pay.

Now, I really haven't been in a situation like that to actually tell you what I did. Or what I would do. But that may well be because my demeanor or Pack Leader? never had a dog go beyond that. Reacting like you did sounds almost abusive, but in reality, it may be the right thing to do. It may sound harsh. But you know? It's very similar to letting your children get away with murder and then you wonder why they are the way they are. If you nip something in the bud immediately and set the standard or rules, you won't have a bigger problem down the road.

Now, I wish I was six foot two, 200 lb. and can take my dog to the ground. I don't think I can. LOL. But I get the idea. And I believe in a certain situation, it may be correct. Not everyone will agree with that. I think it's the old adage of having the punishment fit the crime. If you can nip it in the butt right away, you may not have to throw the dog to the ground. And of course, it depends on the temperament of your dog. Buddy has never shown this kind of behavior at all. My first Doberman had much more prey drive and even in a play situation, we would always say he would protect me. He could be very aggressive, but very much under control. (mine) I never had to worry about him growling at somebody else.

You know this kind of reminds me of the Dog Whisperer episode with that little Chihuahua sitting on his mom's lap and barking and nipping at her son! When I watched that I was appalled! Why would she allow that? All it would take was a little bit of Correction on her part to show their dog that this is not allowed! But she just sat there and let the dog do it. Wow.

And here's another thing. I have a friend with a Labrador. One day when I was there, my movements were just too much for the dog, I guess. She jumped up and grabbed my ponytail! :shock: I was aghast! Really? And you allow that? ? They just shrugged and said, she does that and we don't know what to do about it. Um, How about correcting her? I wanted to smack her. The owner, not the dog, LOL.

Back