Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Rescue takes grieving widows dog?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by MischasMomma, Feb 23, 2019.

1. MischasMomma

MischasMomma Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

So, this is just a Facebook post, no news media I can find (yet) but what are your thoughts on this? I've got my own theory, but curious what others have to say. I'll share my theory then in a bit! Copied text below, and screenshot of original post.

so apparently losing my boyfriend as devastating as that was seems to have not been enough... the rescue group that we got Sawyer from says " let us help you with Sawyer we will take him and take care of him while you figure things out and get settled with your kids"... and here I am thinking that's god-sent I do need help in every way... so one of the ladies comes to my home to get Sawyer and tells me how sorry she is for my loss and Promises me that she will take good care of my dog only for me to find out that 1 they have moved my dog and REFUSE TO TELL ME WHERE HE IS! and 2 I DISCOVER THEY HAVE DECIDED TO NOT GIVE ME MY DOG BACK?!... because Jeff sign the paperwork and Jeff has passed away they do not think that I can take care of Sawyer like I have for over a year because I work at Waffle House and I have children are you kidding me how does a rescue group of all people come into your home and steal your dog under false pretenses who does that I am devastated again that was one little thing I had a Jeff that I needed and wanted so badly he is our family and I'm not allowed to have him? How is that even allowed at all???!!! My kids asked me every day when their dog is coming home how am I going to tell three children and Jeff's daughter Shyla that someone has taken their dog and will not give him back to his family???!!!!!!
    Screenshot_20190223-194339_Facebook.jpg

• Empathetic Empathetic x 3
  2. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

My goodness, I hope that's not true! How awful! I'm sure she was in a deep funk to even let them take the dog. I have not been there yet so I can't say how I would react but Lord knows I would never turn over my dog. Even to a rescue. It's my dog now, not theirs. That's why I get everything and I mean everything in both our names!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

I don't have a lot of faith in Fbook! It doesn't really seem like something a legitimate rescue group would do somehow. Think there needs to be more facts before I could make any judgement, but I do agree that it would be near impossible for me to give up my dog, especially in a crisis.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. MischasMomma

As is usually the case with Facebook posts... theres always another side to the story. Here is what the rescue posted this morning:

Sweet Home Doberman Rescue would like to address a situation that has recently come to the attention of many.

Our rescue organization was recently devastated by the death of one of our dearest supporters and adopters. During this time the family reached out to us and asked us to help with care of the adopted dog while they dealt with their loss, as a caring rescue family we absolutely offered our assistance and placed the dog into a caring foster home.

The dog that was adopted, was adopted solely by the deceased. No other person was listed as an adopter on the application and no other person signed the adoption agreement. It is the policy of our rescue to not allow an ownership transfer to any other person without the approval of our board members. When an adopter for any reason, even in the event of a death is unable to care for an adopted dog, the dog is to be returned to our rescue. Returning the dog to our rescue and not transferring ownership or surrendering the dog to any unauthorized person or shelter is clearly stated in our adoption contract.

Our board members understand that this is a difficult time for the family and we have offered a very reasonable solution to this situation, however our request to have been repeatedly ignored. The person demanding the dog be returned was not listed on the contract and we have no information about her other than she was the adopters girlfriend.

Our solution to this situation, was to request that the girlfriend of the deceased to simply complete an application and a home visit and landlord verification to insure that the dog would be allowed in the home if they were to relocate or to verify that the lease would be continued where they lived now. Once we could verify that the dog would be allowed, we would simply have the potential adopter sign an adoption contract to have the dog returned. No new adoption fee would be requested. In fact a we even offered to help with the care expenses of the dog while the family adjusted to their new situation.

Sadly, instead of cooperating with our request, our rescue has been slandered and threats have been made to one of our volunteers by this individual and she has invited other individuals and even another rescue organization to do the same.

Our focus is now and always will remain on the well being and safety of the dogs we have committed to save and we will not waiver from that stance.

We also would like everyone to understand any threats to our rescue organization, it’s board members and volunteers will be taken seriously and handled appropriately with the assistance of our law enforcement officers and legal system.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. MyBuddy

Well, that makes more sense and if she is not cooperating, then shame on her! That poor dog is going through a lot of changes that it shouldn't have to!

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

I understand where the rescue is coming from...what I can't understand is if he is such a beloved family member WHY won't she just cooperate and let them do a home check and such?? Course I also heard she ASKED for them to help her by taking the dog during this tragic time...I would need my Dobie MORE than ever for emotional support, but that's just me...

• Agree Agree x 7
  7. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

Ah, the rescues side of the story makes a lot more sense and seems logical.

Why throw yourself a social media pity party and not just deal with it? Probably took her more time slander this rescue than just fill out an application and set-up a home visit. I'm sure she's dealing with a lot, but why make it harder for yourself?

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. MyBuddy

Totally agree! It leads me to believe that perhaps the dog WAS more her husband's (boyfriend?) and she did ask the rescue for help. Only to realize later that she, or maybe more her children, needed her dog back. But, then go through the right channels, for crying out loud. I would walk on water, hold my tongue, go through fire, anything to get my dog back!!

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Hmm....I think I take this all with a grain of salt. It is facebook after all. :rolleyes:
    It's a she said, they said and we'll never know how it really played out. As a person that is currently grieving and has lost a spouse, I'm going to give the girlfriend a break. She's grieving and you just don't think right during that process.
    I think this could be a good lesson for everyone. Have your ducks in a row. Both names on everything, a will, whatever it takes to protect yourself. That are no guarantees in life and you should be prepared for the worst while savoring the best. ;)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Antman408

Antman408 $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

I think it’s pretty douchey of the rescue to do that. The dogs been living with her since it was adopted and in the same place.

She’s going thru a significant others death, which I can’t even imagine how that feels and then they want her to jump threw hoops to get the dog back. They should of had some compassion for her and worked with her rather than being “by the book”.

If the rescue had some more compassion for this woman, I doubt it would of gotten this far on social media and such.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. MischasMomma

Ok, i said I'd throw my opinion out here too, so here it is.... I can understand the rescue reasoning WHY... but, HOW they did it was shady and unethical. They have since deleted their post that I posted above, makes me wonder why? They took his TWO doberman for her. One, she does not want back. Makes me also wonder, why is she only fighting for Sawyer back? Why not Blue too? There absolutely always is his side, her side, and the truth. So I'm positive no one is actually giving the WHOLE story here.

I understand the rescue wants everything in order legally. And I understand shes going through a lot right now and doesnt want or need the hassle of it. But. They both should be working together to get Sawyer with his family- UNLESS the rescue is aware of something that's not being shared (understandably, because thankfully they really shouldnt be sharing private info) that gives them a reason to feel it's not a suitable environment. Tough call all the way around here, but regardless, it's a situation I feel should have been handled differently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

This all just highlights why I don't do Fbook and don't buy into media fests as a rule. It is way too easy for the real facts to be lost in translation, either deliberately or otherwise. :sour: But then I'm old and cynical these days! :woot2::woot2::woot2:

• Agree Agree x 4