1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Reputable Breeder Houston, TX?

Discussion in 'Doberman Breeders' started by jaimito2222, Apr 21, 2020.

1. jaimito2222

jaimito2222 New Member

Hello hoping someone can help me find a reputable breeder in the Houston area? I have been searching for a while now with no luck.

2. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Not sure where these are from Houston....

Linda George (Horizon Dobermans) Richmond
    Susan Ramos and Diane Tennison (Lookout Dobermans) San Antonio
    Nikki McClendon (Merrimac Dobermans) Pearland
    Mary Ann Byrns (Radiant) North Richland Hills
    Irina Sasu-Pernoll (Rhapsody Dobermans) Elgin
    Joanne Davis (Sunburg) Aledo
    Alisa Brotherhood (Touchstone) Magnolia
    Susan Van Orman Claggett/ Ashlee Claggett (Van Orman Dobermans) Leander

• Like Like x 1
  3. jaimito2222

jaimito2222 New Member

thank you.
    i reached out to a few you listed with no response.

4. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Ah, the no response. Ain't it fun?

5. jaimito2222

jaimito2222 New Member

Why is that? Is this normal?

6. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Breeders are busy. They get a lot of inquiries, have normal jobs, may be raising a litter, trying to squeeze in health testing in these crazy times, busy with their own dogs, kids and life. Ive been told by breeders to email more than once if you initially don't get a response after a fair amount of time. They may have simply overlooked it. It also helps to go ahead and tell them about yourself when reaching out. A simple email won't get their attention (especially not if you are flat asking for a price right away) but if you tell them about your life style, how many current pets you have, gender, what you are looking for in a puppy from them, then you will start building that relationship with your breeder that you would be a good puppy owner of one of theirs. These are their babies and they want to know the person is going to be a good fit. Keep trying... It's rough but once you get in you will then have leads to litters you wouldn't know about without having that contact. Some breeders are also slower and technologically disadvantaged, so a phone call may be better in that case. It's rough with dog shows being cancelled right now so it's not like you can visit and make contacts with doberman people in person.

You could also try joining or contacting the DPCA club for Houston. The members may know of litters or breeders. Doberman Pinscher Club of Houston

• Like Like x 4
  7. jaimito2222

jaimito2222 New Member

Ok makes sense thank you.

i’ll keep trying and I have reached out to DPC of A....

• Like Like x 1
  8. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

It's very common, yes.

9. jaimito2222

jaimito2222 New Member

Sad

10. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

When reaching out to breeders, I would make a very factual but concise argument in your favor.

Like a job posting, they need to sift through all the lame 'applicants' and will pick the ones that stand out for one reason or another.

When I started looking for a puppy, I explained exactly what I was looking for (Pet, Red, Female, Cropped, Docked, any temperament), my experience with dogs and Dobes in general, how my last dog passed away and why I was looking, what I planned on doing with my dog, how much time I intended to do on training, what I would do with her when I had to travel for work or took vacations, my living situation, family members, etc. These breeders are trusting you with a member of their family and will provide a lifetime of support but want to place their pups in the best homes possible.

Some get offended when you ask about price but expect to spend around of $1500-$2000 for cropped and docked or more or less depending on area, lineage, etc. It may also take time. As stated, most great breeders don't have many litters so getting put on a list is not unusual and if you have less specifics in terms of sex and color, you have a better chance of make an earlier litter. They will have you sign a contract that states you cannot breed the dog (if you're looking for a pet dog vs a show dog), if you cannot keep the dog it should be returned to them and all that jazz.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. jaimito2222

jaimito2222 New Member

Thank you for your advice... will do better on my communication.

12. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I got this fella from Linda George at Horizon Dobermans in Richmond- Southwest of Houston.
    Linda@horizon-dobermans.com
    She has an older website that tells her story but I don’t think she keeps it up.

Linda “shows” Dobermans and is a serious proponent for the breed.

I was the same as you, I sent out many emails and phone calls throughout East Texas. Did not get a response from any of the 10 I inquired to. Then I started digging and found some phone numbers and started calling. Yes, these folks are very busy, most apologized.....

F5739C7D-69B1-405B-9A09-5B5A97ABEE69.jpeg

88B029D3-E2ED-47DF-8EF7-1CF7E1526B64.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  13. jaimito2222

jaimito2222 New Member

Beautiful Dobie... thank you

14. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Agree with the others here, especially the contacting & your introduction to yourself. May I add that if you have specific wants that you be prepared to turn down a puppy that doesn't fit your needs. Also we are hearing of ear cropping now being harder to arrange with lock downs of vet clinics to "emergency service only" in many places, so ask about that unless you are wanting natural ears anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  15. jaimito2222

jaimito2222 New Member

Ok thank you

16. jaimito2222

jaimito2222 New Member

Has anyone heard of Aria or Todics?

17. Panama

By looking at Todic's FB page, they breed a lot. Appear to always have puppies with more on the way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. jaimito2222

jaimito2222 New Member

Yeah just not sure if they are reputable.

19. Panama

Responsible & Ethical would be what you would need to research.

Just because a female is in heat doesn't mean she NEEDS to be bred. Having 2-3 litters on the ground, expecting 2 more and planning 2-3 more just because they're coming in heat is concerning to me.

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. jaimito2222

jaimito2222 New Member

Ok thank you