• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

TrimV

Novitiate
Hi all! New to dobe-chat! Many forums out there are very upset when the same question gets asked, but with the pandemic, it seems as if everyone either has stopped responding to calls or doesn’t update anything on their sites anymore.

Im located out of New York but am willing to travel pretty much anywhere on the east coast (NE preferably but will go the distance for an excellent recommendation) for a new doberman pup!

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Also, It seems as though not having a fenced yard is a problem, however I dont see how this is a straight up no? I live in NYC (private home with front and back yard) and would NEVER leave my dog outside unattended, especially without a leash. Insight on a breeders standpoint on this is appreciated! Thank you!

TrimV

Novitiate
Hi all! New to dobe-chat! Many forums out there are very upset when the same question gets asked, but with the pandemic, it seems as if everyone either has stopped responding to calls or doesn’t update anything on their sites anymore.

Im located out of New York but am willing to travel pretty much anywhere on the east coast (NE preferably but will go the distance for an excellent recommendation) for a new doberman pup!

Also, It seems as though not having a fenced yard is a problem, however I dont see how this is a straight up no? I live in NYC (private home with front and back yard) and would NEVER leave my dog outside unattended, especially without a leash. Insight on a breeders standpoint on this is appreciated! Thank you!
+Looking for Male/Black/Cropped/PetCompanion

Panama

Hot Topics Subscriber
Welcome from SE Alabama.

The DPCA Breeder Referral page would be a good place to start. You can locate breeders by location.
Breeder Referral List |

I've notice a lot of breeders don't update their websites regularly. Not all breeder have a website or at least one not listed.

Most breeders will require a fenced yard. Dogs need good exercise and leash walks just aren't enough, not matter how often they are walked. They need room to run in a safe environment for both physical & mental health.

TrimV

Novitiate
Hi Panama, thanks for your reply! I am actively searching the DPCA referral list as well but am hoping for a somewhat personal experience (1st or 2nd hand referral).

In regards to the yard - understood that dobermans need plenty of exercise. I live a very active lifestyle which includes 5 mile runs (4x a week, about to finish my first year!) and weekend hikes every Saturday. I would be more than willing to give up a few miles to interact/play/exercise with my pup, but many questionnaires do not offer the option to include more information like this. Wondering if you believe this is something a reasonable breeder would consider?

Thanks!

Panama

Hot Topics Subscriber
Hi Panama, thanks for your reply! I am actively searching the DPCA referral list as well but am hoping for a somewhat personal experience (1st or 2nd hand referral).
My only personal recommendations would be
1) Marbendale Dobermans/ Christine Churchwell - GA
I've seen where and how she raises her dogs & puppies. This is where my next puppy is coming from. And she does answer call/email.

2) Allthemore Dobermans/ Stacy Amerson - GA

Other breeders along the east coast that I can think of.

Niklby is in NJ. I've never met Betty, but her daughter Ashley has shown my boy at a few show. They seem to produce nice pups.

Sophia Koster in NJ (Eastwick Dobermans.) She also does amazing ear crops. Not sure if she's still breeding or not but worth checking.

Christy Jordan (Saratoga Dobermans) in NY. She's produced nice pup.

Stedfast Dobermans- CT
Kelview Dobermans - PA
Bellacane Dobermans - Virginia

Fable

Novitiate
Hello, I bought my dobby front Sierra dobermans in Tennessee and it was a great experience. Great breeder. Its been approximately 5 months and we still are in contact with each other. Picture At 3 months. IMG-20220224-WA0002.jpg

Fable

Novitiate

Hello, I bought my dobby from Steve at Sierra dobermans in Tennessee and it was a great experience. Great breeder. Its been approximately 5 months and we still are in contact with each other. Picture At 3 months.

Attachments

• IMG-20220224-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20220224-WA0002.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 2

Oh Little Oji

Formerly Tad
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
Breeders are notoriously bad about returning communications. I've talked about this many times, and the defense given is always that good breeders are so very busy. I retort that they ought simply to put an outgoing message on their phone line stating they may not be able to get back to you, and so forth. They should also state this on their website (and instagram, etc.) Some breeders do in fact do this. One of my least favorite things I've run into is breeders who have on their website that people should drop them a line or reach out to them to ask questions about their program or about the breed – even saying "We love to talk about the breed!" But they do not get back to you. This has been going on, I suspect, since being a breeder became a thing, and is not because of Covid.

Yes some breeders are completely rigid on the fence thing. Rescue orgs. and shelters can be the same way. I think they ought to do things on a case-by-case basis. I believe dogs get way less out of a "yard to run in" than the vast majority of people think. But of course, without a fenced yard you will pretty much always have to take the dog out to potty on a leash. I've lived with Dobes in apartments and in yards without fences.

JanS

DCF Owner
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
Our Dobermans breeder isn't on the east coast but this is part of her puppy application regarding fences. With her I don't think it's mandatory but she wants to know how you're going to handle it.
1652303513097.png

Dasz88

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
Gilly doesn't exactly come from fantastic lines, so I can't advise on breeders, but just from personal experience, I don't think fence/no fence is a deal breaker! We have 10 acres, no fence, and gilly learned his lot lines with an invisible fence in about a week. My sister is adopting a greyhound- they definitely NEED a fence. But the super trainable, super velcro doberman? I think you can still give him a great life sans fence.