1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Recall Help

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by mshipway, Aug 23, 2019.

1. mshipway

mshipway New Member

Hello
    Looking for advice on Recall, it is fading and i need it to be stronger. Argo is 1 week shy of 1 year old, if I have him offleash it seems like he stays close enough to me to feel secure. When I call him back he will come if i turn to walk away, but if i stand still, he just stands there as well.
    Also if he is in a play session, I may as well not even be above ground as no matter what I do or what treat I seem to have, he just wants to play play play.

2. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

How are you teaching recall?
    I'd say put the leash (a long line works for me) back on till he learns what come means. Find that reward that he just can't resist. Keep it fun so he wants to come and practice, practice, practice. Being off leash is a huge responsibility, sort of like turning your teenager loose behind a wheel. Lots of things can go wrong so they have to listen!

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

You just have to keep doing it over and over and over.

GennyB is correct with finding that high reward treat and rewarding with that.

I always make sure to never scold or give anything negative his way when mine is returning back to me even if I am mad at him. Always have to make returning back to you a desirable thing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

You have to be more interesting to him. What is your play reward?

The problem with Dobermans is that they are courageous enough to create their own excitement, the kind that might make you freak out, but they need to be taught to care about how you feel.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

What is your dogs motivation to be by you, or come to you? You say your dog just wants to play, play, play, I would use this for training. Teach the game of tug and use it to get your dog to come to you. Coming to you and you having a treat is unlikely enough motivation. Make it fun, have him chase the treat in your hand, make it a game. You have to be the most fun so your dog thinks every time he comes it is going to be a play session.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rodyboy

Rodyboy New Member

Mshipway, Doberman Gang is offering a good response training idea. Your dog will come simply because you offer something more than a treat. It works. Our trainers used response they told me, no treats. I thought they had two heads. Training is everyday the same way. Over and over again. They catch on. Let us know.

7. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Magic for us. Both of my dogs would walk over fire to get to their tug or a ball on a string.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

It blows me away at how many people say trainers want them to get away from treats or rewards. I am constantly telling the people that train with me, be more animated, make it fun for you and your dog, stop treating your dog like your a Pez dispenser.
    When we go out to train, whether on a soccer field, at a park, baseball field ect.. our dogs are hoping to play, while we are wanting to work on some obedience. It has to be a fair balance. Some times more play than obedience and others times more obedience. Constantly changing, our dogs will actually become more attentive because of the anticipation of play but the play has to always be apart of it to develop the behavior.