Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Rear dew claw

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Samburnell, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Samburnell

Samburnell Novitiate

Hello

I've had Dobes for years, but this is the first time I have owned one as an 8 week old puppy. I let my kids choose - as you do, when he was around 4 weeks old and none of us noticed that he had a rear dew claw, just the one. Picked him up now, and he is wonderful, but this rear extra toe is quite pronounced and very visible, typically we only noticed when we got him home. I've never done any showing before, but now my children are a bit older, I'd hoped to do some. So the question is, should I get this removed? Will he get marked down for it? What's best to do?

Thanks in advance.

Sam

2. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

I've never seen nor heard of Dobermans having rear dew claws, but I'm sure someone has. Picking him out at 4 wks, did you see both of the parents?
    With you considering showing, his parents are AKC?

Can you post a picture of him?

If you have any intentions of showing, I would suggest getting it removed.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

A rear dew claw...that sounds unusual! Does it have contact with the ground? If not, I would imagine it growing very quickly so we need removing. Is it low down on the leg? I would also be interested in seeing a picture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

My old cattle dog mix had both rear dew claws. One attached by bone the other just skin. I did question whether or not to have them removed and decided to see how she fared with them in the rough country I live in. She never had a problem in the 9 years she lived, so as far as function goes there wouldn't be a problem. Never heard of a Dobe having them though.

5. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

What breeder did you get him from? Out of curiosity.

6. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

From the breed standard:

HINDQUARTERS
    The angulation of the hindquarters balances that of the forequarters. Hip Bone falls away from spinal column at an angle of about 30 degrees, producing a slightly rounded, well filled-out croup. Upper Shanks at right angles to the hip bones, are long, wide, and well muscled on both sides of thigh, with clearly defined stifles. Upper and lower shanks are of equal length. While the dog is at rest, hock to heel is perpendicular to the ground. Viewed from the rear, the legs are straight, parallel to each other, and wide enough apart to fit in with a properly built body. Dewclaws, if any, are generally removed. Cat feet as on front legs, turning neither in nor out.

So I guess it's not completely unheard of in the breed. Not listed as a fault or DQ, but ............. I would have it removed.