• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Raw meat products

Logan 45

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
When it comes to feeding and protein selections often times when looking at poultry products specifically at the store they are often treated with chicken broth which is salty. I haven’t purchased or fed any of these poultry products to my dog but I assume it’s not ok to serve this to your dog ?

Yes chicken broth (aka Salt Water) they use to plump up the chicken.
I would look on the package at the salt mg content at 100mg or less.
So as long as the sodium is less than 100mg per serving you can use it ? And I know I’ve seen you recommend this in other threads but when raw feeding there’s a probiotic powder that’s of good use ?

And if they use actual chicken broth, it likely has onion in it which is not safe for dogs.

I do believe I have my resolution for meat solved my brother in-law is a sales rep for shamrock foods and can get me no injected chicken breast and chicken thighs for about 1.60 a pound average between the two and antibiotic free. But is it ok to rotate around between beef and chicken ?

When raw feeding, you definitely have to rotate the proteins. Google raw feeding university. I think their website is perfectlyrawsome.com

So as long as the sodium is less than 100mg per serving you can use it ? And I know I’ve seen you recommend this in other threads but when raw feeding there’s a probiotic powder that’s of good use ?

100mg or less should be good.

Also Yes on what @Kaiser2016 mentioned about actual Chicken Broth containing onion. But I've never seen Chicken Broth listed on Chicken package. Just the Salt mg's. Would have to do some further investigation on that.
Also a Rotational diet of different meat proteins is best. Different meat proteins have different levels of vitamins, amino acids and enzymes.

We shop at Costco and I saw Organic Chicken Broth. I said Awesome for the dogs. But looking at the ingredients it contained Onion!! Then I said :censored::censored:. But I bought it anyway and I had bowls of it in the winter time. Or make chicken gravy with it.
Chicken and Beef Bone Broths are great for sick or healthy pets. Primal Pet foods makes Organic ones. Or make your own. It just takes about 24hrs. Just try and use Grass feed cow bones, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Organic Veggies and filtered water. Also same with chicken bones. Chickens that are farmed free range or feed with Organic feed.

About Probiotic's.
You shouldn't need any with raw feeding.
The raw meat has enzymes in it. Also Tripe is good to give.
We give Answers Pet Foods Raw Goats Milk or Fermented Cow Kefir which has lots of enzymes and probiotics in them. But our Boy has been on Prescription Heart Meds for over 3 1/2 years. He has bouts of diarrhea from any of the meds and all the supplements we give.

Now if the dog has other digestive issues like diarrhea or is getting Antibiotics. Then I would add a Pre Biotic and Probiotic besides the Goats milk or the Fermented raw cow kefir.

100mg or less should be good.

Also Yes on what @Kaiser2016 mentioned about actual Chicken Broth containing onion. But I've never seen Chicken Broth listed on Chicken package. Just the Salt mg's. Would have to do some further investigation on that.
Also a Rotational diet of different meat proteins is best. Different meat proteins have different levels of vitamins, amino acids and enzymes.

We shop at Costco and I saw Organic Chicken Broth. I said Awesome for the dogs. But looking at the ingredients it contained Onion!! Then I said :censored::censored:. But I bought it anyway and I had bowls of it in the winter time. Or make chicken gravy with it.
Chicken and Beef Bone Broths are great for sick or healthy pets. Primal Pet foods makes Organic ones. Or make your own. It just takes about 24hrs. Just try and use Grass feed cow bones, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Organic Veggies and filtered water. Also same with chicken bones. Chickens that are farmed free range or feed with Organic feed.

About Probiotic's.
You shouldn't need any with raw feeding.
The raw meat has enzymes in it. Also Tripe is good to give.
We give Answers Pet Foods Raw Goats Milk or Fermented Cow Kefir which has lots of enzymes and probiotics in them. But our Boy has been on Prescription Heart Meds for over 3 1/2 years. He has bouts of diarrhea from any of the meds and all the supplements we give.

Now if the dog has other digestive issues like diarrhea or is getting Antibiotics. Then I would add a Pre Biotic and Probiotic besides the Goats milk or the Fermented raw cow kefir.
I’ve been reading a lot about raw feeding trying to get all my ducks in a row before I completely jump in.I think I’m just nervous to screw things up or not hit the vitamins correctly. I think the hardest aspect is knowing exactly what to buy poultry is simple I can get chicken breast, chicken thigh, chicken wings, whole chicken and mince the chicken. And the sane variety in Turkey and duck. Pork use the loin for a lean protein the shoulder for a more fatty protein. Beef protein ground beef, minced beef, amongst other cuts of beef. Organs liver, kidney, hearts etc. And then most raw feeder advice suggest salmon at least once a week or sardines 3x a week. Chicken eggs are easy since I have some laying hens and frankly they lay way more than I could ever eat. I guess where I get stuck is the whether or not I should follow a Barf model or prey model. And I understand that calcium needs to be 10-25% from meaty bones etc liver 5% and other organs 5% and veggies are sort of your opinion on if you prefer them or not. While I’m ready to switch I think I’m only at the surface of the knowledge I need and need to dig deeper into raw feeding books and online raw feeding resource groups.

I appreciate the input I received from all of you! And will keep you updated as I transition to a raw diet which I believe I will be ready for in couple of months.

I second that emotion took my dog to the beach and he consumed too much salt water he squirted all over the beach! Lesson learned
It’s something I tell people to really monitor with their dogs at the beach because salt water toxicity can kill them. I went through it with mine, they were accidentally ingesting sea water from their balls during water retrieval. Both ends become waterfalls.
I have started giving my twins SQ fluids before we work or play in the heat and carry extra with me just in case because hydration is extremely important and if they are vomiting and have projectile diarrhea it dehydrates them quickly.

It’s something I tell people to really monitor with their dogs at the beach because salt water toxicity can kill them. I went through it with mine, they were accidentally ingesting sea water from their balls during water retrieval. Both ends become waterfalls.
I have started giving my twins SQ fluids before we work or play in the heat and carry extra with me just in case because hydration is extremely important and if they are vomiting and have projectile diarrhea it dehydrates them quickly.
I do have that resolved due to getting chicken from my brother in law cause he’s a food salesmen/ wholesaler I guess my question is with that is I can injection free poultry and I can get antibiotic free chicken breast for like a 1.10 a pound which is a bargain. But would you recommend antibiotic injection free poultry or injection free but chicken that where treated with antibiotics?

But would you recommend antibiotic injection free poultry or injection free but chicken that where treated with antibiotics?
No to any antibiotics, sodium or growth hormones.
It’s hard to locate places that have these. Check for mom and pop butchers that get their meat sources from organic farms. I found a place in Homestead that only purchases from organic farms, then they butcher the meat themselves so it is only handled by the farmer/rancher and the butcher.

No to any antibiotics, sodium or growth hormones.
It’s hard to locate places that have these. Check for mom and pop butchers that get their meat sources from organic farms. I found a place in Homestead that only purchases from organic farms, then they butcher the meat themselves so it is only handled by the farmer/rancher and the butcher.
I assume that is the case with all meats not just poultry and I’m definitely SOL on anything local like that. But I’ll be buying restaurant grade meats as it and won’t be buying from the supermarkets. And I can get antibiotic free, grass fed beef etc.

Back