1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Raw Feeders.

Discussion in 'Raw & Home Cooked Diets' started by Antman408, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

I feed Rex a raw diet, I have for several months now. I typically feed it frozen, I take it out of the freezer and it that’s for 8 hours in the fridge. I’ve noticed since the weather has been colder, after feedings Rex has been shivering and chattering his teeth for about an hour or so after.

I was wondering if this is normal?

2. Emiie10

Emiie10 Member

I've fed both ways, though I prefer feeding thawed

If its colder, and you're feeding frozen, it could be that. Maybe leave the food out longer, I tend to take out 2-3 days at a time so that it thaws properly

• Like Like x 2
  3. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Ours come in 2 pound containers. We take ours out of freezer and place the container in water to thaw for 4-5 hours.
    We then put rest of it in fridge for next meal.
    Never noticed either one chattering their teeth.

4. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I feed my two raw and make sure it’s thawed. Bogie will eat partially frozen, Bacall wants hers fully thawed. If I forget to pull out the food in time, I will let it sit in cool water until thawed enough to break apart, then put in her bowl covered on the counter until completely thawed. Of course our weather down here in winter is not considered cold to many.

5. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

We only feed partially frozen in the summer. Maybe the frozen food is too cold for him during the season change? Since we've shifted to very cool conditions, I notice Kaiser doesn't want too many potty breaks. Yet I know he loves winter time. He also never used to like a blanket being placed on top of him but I tried it recently and he liked it...for a few minutes haha. From what you're saying, I'd blame the changing seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. luckybeemer

luckybeemer Member

What brand do you feed or do you make your own now?

7. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

We feed My Pet Carnivore

8. luckybeemer

luckybeemer Member

I've spent hours this weekend reading on DCF and everything that pops up on google trying to choose the best premade raw for my 4 month old girl. I tried diy raw when I brought her home at 8.5 weeks Rodney Habib recipes, that didnt work out too well. Tried the Orijen large breed puppy, finally settled back on Nutrapro ALS. Poops returned to normal but I've notice if there is anything different added whether it be raw egg, sardines, more than a small amount of Happy Howies (used when training), she has very soft serve/liquid poop. I had narrowed It down to stella and chewy's and primal. Oh decisions, decisions.

9. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I've found (and read) as they are adjusting to raw, feeding more bone than typical helps firm the poops up as they adjust to the new diet. Also, starting out with an easily digestible protein like chicken, then once poops are steady, slowly add in a small amount of organ meat and build up to your normal amount. Gradually change proteins the same way. Eventually, you'll be able to freely move around and feed a wide variety.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

We are transitioning from pre-made to DIY. Bone is where they get their calcium from so its vitally important. If they get too much they will become constipated, a sign they are being fed too much is hard, crumbly or white poo. If they aren’t getting enough their poo will be loose. Bone must be fed within a safe percentage of 20% max, the guideline is 10% but some need more and some need less.

When I fed kibble I would add in fresh 2-3 times a week. I would add green leafy veg like broccoli. Yellow/Orange veg too like grated carrot.
    You can add a raw egg a few times a week, too. Eggs have a perfect amino acid profile. Contain choline which is important for cell and brain health and a source of lutein and zeaxanthin, carotenoids that are important for eye health. Don’t forget to check our your local farmer’s markets and see if you can find farm fresh eggs, if possible.
    Add sprats to the meal, too. Take out 2 spoonfuls of kibble and add fresh.
    Just like humans that eat salad, steak and a roll for dinner (processed/unprocessed /carbs/protein) mammals handle digestive diversity just fine.

11. luckybeemer

luckybeemer Member

I have fresh eggs (from my chickens) shell and all that I have started adding once a week and sardines as well. Just confused about the digestion of raw with kibble. She has normal stool one minute then the next it starts as formed stool and ends as liquid soft serve pile.
    Plan to give raw chicken wing tips weekly as well as I transition her to completely raw.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ChuckE

ChuckE $ Forum Donor $

Thank you for this. I was going to ask about the loose stools coming from our puppy as she is converting to the raw diet. I will take out the organ meat for now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1