1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

RAW Diets For Dogs Are They Better?

Discussion in 'Doberman Health and News Articles' started by strykerdobe, Aug 11, 2017.

1. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As a Dogs Naturally follower, you’ve heard us rant about kibble vs raw diets

… but you might not of heard it from world-renowned animal nutritionist Dr Richard Patton’s point-of-view.

He says:

“Starch is starch, and in excess, a problem, no matter the grain it came from. A kibble using pea protein, sweet potato and quinoa may be termed grain-free but is no more innocent than one full of corn or wheat.”

In today’s post , Patton goes into detail about the large starch problem in today’s pet foods and why this one of the biggest reasons pets are unhealthy.

And he explains why raw diets prevent illness better than cooked foods.

Take a minute to read this post ... you’ll find:

• How heating destroys nutrition
    • Why starch is your dog’s enemy
    • How prescribed drugs can do damage
    • Why freeze-dried foods are a good idea

Click Here To Read Todays Article >>

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Great description of why starches are bad. And I just introduced a new one as a treat just a few weeks ago :rolleyes:

I picked up these sweet potato treats that look like yam fries. They fit perfectly into this Kong-type toy I just bought for Kaiser. It's a squirrel shape with a hollow centre that has little spikes on the end so treats take longer to fall out. Kibble falls out too easy but these yam fries are perfect in there because they're so light and Kaiser has to pick up and drop the squirrel repeatedly to get anything to fall out. It must be providing some mental stimulation as well as it tires him out too. I was thinking about getting a dehydrator for treats. Maybe that's a better option.

I recently discovered the value of freeze dried food. It's perfectly transportable and all you add is water. Seemed so gimmicky at first, but it's a great option.

• Like Like x 2
  3. GOD'S GRACE

GOD'S GRACE Notable member

Well Grace started her Raw Diet today...she's 11 months old and I felt she's ready. I patiently await "positive" results...I have priced it all out and if we stay on budget it will cost about the same as kibble. Keeping in mind her kibble was $4/lb...The most important addition to her diet will be the moisture...her kibble had 12% and raw will be over 70%...tell more as we go.

:usa::dobe::cool:

• Like Like x 4
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  4. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Can't wait to hear about it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GOD'S GRACE

Well day one has come and I've feed twice...my past experiences with Raw is it's gone in 30 seconds...Grace is a gobbler so I've hand feed her to slow her down so she doesn't choke...and my fenced in yard is clean so later on I can inspect the POOP! :thumbsup2:
    After feeding I have her rest in the crate for 60-90 minutes...depends on the whining...tell you more later

• Like Like x 3
  6. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

@GOD'S GRACE if you have a gobbler you can try feeding partially frozen food. This helps slow them down as they have to work a little more for it. Also remember to feed larger than their mouth so they can't inhale. You want them to have to chew the meat until it's able to be swallowed. :thumbsup2:

Java does so much better on raw than kibble because we can control the difficulty of the food. Kibble she inhaled, even with slow down dishes!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I think my two would do backflips for raw. They absolutely love raw food. :biggrin:
    I love watching them truly enjoy what they eat.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Are they comfortable eating it cold? We usually get it down to room temperature before serving. I never put hot water on it because that would either kill the nutrients (well, that is something I was told from his kibble days but I assume it still applies to raw?), and because the bacteria risk might be higher with added heat (is it)?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  9. Tropicalbri's

Yes, they love it cold and the minute you pull it out to prepare for them they are burning holes in your back with anticipation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

One time I served him a thawed patty without breaking it up and he lifted the whole piece up, maybe chomped it 2-3 times and swallowed it :facepalm:Turned around and looked at me like, that's all? Was that a choking risk? He seemed ok, but after that I always mush it up.

Now, with all my toppers and the 'meat porridge' underneath, he takes longer to eat. If he gets any meat leftover from our meals (raw still) we serve those on top of everything and he picks up each of those pieces first! My little foodie :hearteyes:

• Like Like x 3
  11. strykerdobe

Warm water won't hurt it. Would not use boiling water. They are going to eat it right a way so I would not worry about the bacteria risk if any.
    I use a little warm water to help melt the coconut oil in the food.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tropicalbri's

I don’t have that problem down here. It’s always in the liquid form except when we had the cold snap. :eek:

13. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Pattie size like a hamburger? Probably not big enough to have to chew much, really (thickness wise). It's like a dog sized cookie and goes down quick, hah! I know it's easy to worry but dogs don't eat like we do! They chomp it a few times until it is small enough for them to swallow. I wouldn't worry, he chomped it as much as he felt he needed to. In the beginning they may throw it back up right away (why I always feed outside) and re-chew it until it is appropriately sized. They learn over time what they can and can't swallow and don't have to regurgitate it anymore. Sounds gross, huh? But totally natural for a canine.

It's really about working those jaw muscles and teeth into the meat. Yes, raw meat can help clean their teeth if fed in a way they must gnaw on it to break it up.

You sound like you got lucky with a slower eater! Mine would inhale thawed food in a bowl as if it were porridge. sssssluuurp! :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Tropicalbri's

These kids are great at recycling.:D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. strykerdobe

Raw meat in general even without chewing will keep their teeth clean. Because it does not contain starches like processed kibble does. Its the starches that are the problem!
    But always give a large meaty bone so they can work their mouth jaw muscles by ripping and tearing away at the bone.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. strykerdobe

Do this only in the winter time.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Yep hamburger pattie size.

Haha that does sound gross and I'm glad Kaiser only ever did that once with his kibble. He made heaving sounds so I'm staring at him. It all comes back up and looked like poop. He started to eat it again! I didn't know any better so I stopped him and cleaned it up. He probably never threw it up again because he figured he'd wind up hungry :woot2: I love feeding him outside in the summer! I feed him from a raised station and use cardboard pieces to protect the wall from his food splashes. Between the turmeric, his earth minerals (it's the kelp or the spirulina that's very dark), and his blueberries, there's a lot of stain potential in his food!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I think he learned to slow down. He used to eat his kibble fast. So we used a porcelain pacer ball. I don't use it now because I'm not sure how safe that ball would be from contamination risk. It might harbor bacteria where it's sealed. I think it helped that we don't get near his food anymore either. We used to move his food bowl while eating, both as a means to slow him down, and to ensure that he wouldn't resource guard his bowl.

19. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Kaiser's job is recycling! From plastic bottles to shredding cardboard boxes.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. GOD'S GRACE

OK...UPDATE TIME:

Day 2
    ...first we poop small and only twice a day:thumbsup2:. Down for 4 x's and piles!...Next we no longer fart at will...pee u:thumbsup2:! Next as I stated before I am hand feeding, giving Grace some time in between to insure it's not all in her throat.....Every thing seems to be fine...Now here is a big change I have noticed, actually two things...Grace is no longer an ADD Dobe, she is much more focused on me and my wishes, and she is much calmer regardless if training, playing or chilling....Not sure if it's the hand feeding or the food...now the less this change is HUGE...I'm a person who watches everything closely, so I'm not imagining this change. One last idea too...this co-insides with Grace coming to a close in her first season as well (30 days)...just thought I'd tag that info, in case that has an affect....tell you more late

• Like Like x 3