• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Raw diet puppy %???

The dude

Jr Member
Hey, I'm new to DC. Ive been feeding my 12 week old male pup raw since 6 weeks of age. My question is, what percentage do I feed? I'm doing 10% of current body weight (20lbs). But some sources say to feed 8-10% of body weight until you've reached the amount of what he would eat as an adult 2-3% of ideal body weight (80-85lbs?).

I guess what I'm trying to say is I have reached that amount now. So do I stay at this amount of food and keep an eye on his development. Or do I continue to feed 10% of body weight as he grows? Some well known sites say to gradually drop to 2-3%.

Example

8-10% of bw 2-4months of age
6-8% of bw 4-6 months of age
4-6% of bw 6-8 months of age
3-4% of bw 8-12 months of age

I understand every pup is different. But I'm just trying to stay ahead of the game and give him the proper nutrition.

Thanks in advance! IMG_0174.PNG IMG_0175.PNG

I feed frozen raw because I find it is much simpler than figuring out all this stuff myself. Someone else has already predetermined the suitable nutrition levels and I just thaw, add my own toppers, and serve it. There are plenty of people here that prepare their own raw food as well, I'm sure they'll comment soon enough.

I've never raw fed a pup but I've always read to feed 2-3% of the ideal adult body weight for pups. If you know what his parents weigh, you should have a pretty good idea. Maybe @strykerdobe has raw fed his as pups and could chime in to confirm?

Your doing it right. Growing puppies need more. As he is getting older just watch that he is not getting to fat.
Watch the Calcium levels you don't want him to grow fast.
80% meat, 10% Organ and 10% Bone.

Thanks so much for the responses, I will continue on! This is my first doberman btw (have had boxers pretty much my whole life) but these dogs are just a different breed compared to anything else. Should've made the switch a longgg time ago!

Back