Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Raw bone-in steak

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by dobie206, Feb 14, 2020.

1. dobie206

dobie206 New Member

Looking for some advice.

We just bought this steak to give our boy, he’s turning 1 tomorrow. He’s never had raw bones before so I just don’t know what to expect. It’s a pretty big steak so I don’t think he’ll be able to finish it all.. but anyway, is it safe to just let him chomp on it?

34710236-D61C-4FBB-940F-AACEE910FE9C.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Not sure about the bone, but I bet he will love the meat! Beef is a favorite for my male.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. luckybeemer

luckybeemer Member

You may be surprised how quickly it disappears. :hearteyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

Raw bones are fine for dogs, however non load bearing. Such as poultry wings, feet or necks. Pork ribs and such. Ribeye bones are beef ribs, it should be fine.

personally I don’t feed rib bones because there a little tougher to digest atleast for my boy. I would just take that bone out if you’re not currently raw feeding. He also may get the runs from that steak since their won’t be any fiber in it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

I would watch it with that bone if he's not had raw bones before. Just so he doesn’t swallow it whole!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. jack6hd

jack6hd New Member

Mine loves those big soup bones with the marrow inside. After the marrow is gone, my wife will put peanut butter in it. He will
    gnaw the bare bone for days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I would remove the bone since a fair amount is exposed without meat. Typically bones are ok if it's surrounded by meat, they'll crunch it all together and swallow, the meat encasing the bones. Of course as mentioned earlier, certain types of bones are ok. Raw poultry bones are soft. The bigger the animal, the harder the bones so while rib bones may be fine to an experienced raw eater, I wouldn't be ok with a bare bone.

Lucky guy!!! You might want to skip his meal for that and be super attentive to bathroom breaks lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. dobie206

dobie206 New Member

Thanks everyone for your input!

Wanted to provide an update - Vinci LOVED his steak! We let him have half the steak raw and with the other half, we grilled it medium rare for his dinner.

He didn’t have any tummy issues, in fact, his stool was perfect LOL

787E2AE1-519B-405B-A2F3-CA34ABC382C7.jpeg
    1732202D-0301-46F6-A09D-DCE4E11C2CD9.jpeg

• Appreciation Appreciation x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Awwww, how cute with the hearts!

Did he get a gift from Tiffany’s or is that just the box? :woot2:

And medium rare, lol, no leather for the fine palate of a Doberman :thumbsup2:

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  10. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

What did you get him in the box? A Tiffany’s collar?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  11. dobie206

dobie206 New Member

Thanks! You guys guessed it right, my sister got him a Tiffany blue collar (size x large). So spoiled right?! LOL

• Like Like x 4
  12. Lizbeli

Lizbeli Hot Topics Subscriber

We need a picture of the collar!

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Happy Birthday handsome boy! :hb:

• Like Like x 1
  14. dobie206

dobie206 New Member

Here you go! Not sure how often he’ll wear his Tiffany collar but I guess we’ll reserve it for special occasion :hearteyes:

DC439A8A-9429-4529-AD94-ADED3F7A49BD.jpeg
    E3192DD7-464E-4534-B030-BDEB6BD89654.jpeg

• Like Like x 2