1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Ragnar cut foot pad

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by Ddski5, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Brioddy

Brioddy Notable member

I totally feel for you. Paw cuts are so random and can be really serious. Brinks cut his to the bone on one of his toes, severed two to three tendons and his paw will never be the same. Still don’t know what it was from, we were all sitting outside and the dogs were playing (it was my birthday) and all of a sudden I noticed him sitting behind me, holding up his paw with blood dripping and letting loose a piteous cry. He’s a fairly stoic dog so I knew it hurt. I flushed it with water (I use a spray bottle) and packed it to stem the flow of blood. I kept it clean and restricted his outside access to potty only for a week or so, I also spritzed it a couple times with peroxide to kill any bacteria or infection. Since the tendons were cut there’s nothing to hold his toe in, but he gets around like it never happened. You’d never be able to tell unless you looked for it, and it certainly doesn’t slow him down. Rio had a minor cut on his pad also that I also treated with a little bit of peroxide and then used a spray bandage to keep out dirt.

• Like Like x 1
  2. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Per your picture it looks like it is filling in nicely. Great job! I can’t tell you how many times we’ve had paw injuries. One thing that came in handy when going outside were those disposable rain paw covers - the ones that look like balloons. I would put those on so that the bandaging wouldn’t get dirty and take it off when we came in. They were a life saver for us.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

F731E5D2-04B0-440A-80D7-00B16028D4E9.jpeg Here’s a pic of the booties.

I would just reuse the same one since we only used them for going outside with restricted activities. As you can tell the one pictured is used haha it needs to be thrown away. Lol

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That's pretty cool! I've never seen those before. Maybe I just never looked LOL but that's something I will keep in mind! Is it tight around their ankle? I always worry about cutting off circulation.

Ragnar's cut looks pretty bad but it also looks like it's healing well. Buddy has had a couple of abrasions on his paws too. Nothing as bad as Ragnar. Although it seems as if he's not affected at all! Wanting to go, go, go. These dogs! :facepalm:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Awesome @My2Girls.

Looking into that now.

I am at work and unable to measure his paw. You think xlarge or large?? Yes, Ragnar has the standard really big Doberman paws, not like cat paw Dobermans.

I saw your package is xlarge. Whatcha think? How do they fit yours?

6. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Yes it’s tight around the ankle. The one pictured above is used and you can’t see the ‘neck’ part of it because it’s rolled down. It’s literally like a large heavy duty balloon. I have the x-large so that it’s large enough to accommodate bandages without being tight but the upper part ‘neck’ is tight.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

@Ddski5 here is the x-large on Shadow. She has a monsterous paw (euro/she weighs 83 lbs). I leave them a bit loose to accommodate the bandages. 470B0F50-F7A4-4159-98B1-9FAC9153FC4D.jpeg 7C235C7E-F605-4434-9C68-0C42E505EC5C.jpeg AA58B326-0988-4317-8AFB-FAB7B3842290.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  8. Ddski5

See.....

That’s why I visit this site 100x a day!!! Always something awesome and new to learn.

Thanks! Just ordered a set.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lizbeli

Lizbeli Hot Topics Subscriber

What a great idea. I might just grab a couple too. Seems like one of those things that will sit in my closet until a freak accident.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

Both Spike and Ruby have gashed their paws before. Both cases I did not even know until nail day. Pretty deep too. They healed without intervention but they never did seal back together. Still don't know what they got into...:scratch:

• Wow x 2
  11. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Those boots look amazing and I've never seen them before either. I third Vetericyn since it has worked wonders for our dogs.

Hope he heals quickly!

12. Ddski5

@WiglWerm
    So their pads have healed with splits in them?

Good info, thanks for sharing. My worry meter is down from 5,000 to 50 since I started this post.

It is healing very well now, even had some great tissue formation since yesterday’s picture. I think the Manuka honey has done an amazing job.

2D21018E-39CA-4410-9730-119E1B5E6F86.jpeg
    Yesterday’s picture

C0901791-04B5-446F-AFB0-7D6C2387DFAF.jpeg
    Today’s picture:
    Notice the gray layer of tissue formation. That’s not pus or serous fluid- it’s actually tissue forming. Weird, because I am not use to seeing gray/clear tissue formation. Usually in humans, I don’t see it this color- usually it’s pink or color of skin.

The wound care MD at work loves this stuff. He says that Ragnar will have no issues healing because he does not have Diabetes and doesn’t smoke. Hahaha!!!

Manuka Honey
    8A3BCE26-A2C5-4465-8289-6FB91D458EA2.jpeg

99297280-5424-4749-B7A5-1F26FCFEE5C2.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  13. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

I have been watching this thread with interest as cut pads is something that WILL happen sooner or later. That is really good healing of a serious gash and I think that Manuka honey and waterproof booties will have to be included in the first aid kit! Really good info here! :thumbsup2: A shame that Ragnar cut his pad, but looks like all will be well very soon! Good luck with keeping him quiet! :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

I just googled it and Costco carries the Manuka Honey 20+
    It’s expensive but I might give it a try for energy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

Just read this thread, don’t have any input as it’s all been said. Other than I hope for a speedy recovery.

16. Ddski5

I think if the wound is cleaned and washed out by Vetericyn (I used Vashe) and then overlay the wound with Manuka Honey and wrap it up to keep out the unwanted, then it is an optimal way to heal wounds.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  17. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Wow Manuka dressing. Who knew!

Does Shadow need need MORE energy? :wtf: Btw, 83 pounds? Wow, Kaiser’s only 78 (also Euro).

18. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

No, for me silly! I need the energy - to keep up with everybody! Costco sells it in a honey jar thing and apparently people put it in their tea etc.

Yeah, Shadow has a “square” frame and is big boned. Her paws are almost 2x the size of Princess and so is the width of her tail nub. I really should post a picture comparing the 2. Shadow’s breeder said she’d be about 83. She’ll fluctuate between 80-83lbs. I need to adjust her food intake it’s been so hot and humid that I’ve had to limit outdoor activities.

• Like Like x 2
  19. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

@Ddski5 the gash never closed up but healed.

20. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

:spit: What a relief!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Wow x 1