Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Ragnar and Freyja

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Ddski5, Oct 16, 2020 at 8:02 AM.

1. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Figured I would start a new thread and then just continue with this one.

Ragnar- 3yrs old
    Freyja- 10wks

First off, she is absolutely adorable and so cuddly. Ragnar was very standoffish- didn’t like you petting or touching him. It took months to get him to warm up and trust. Freyja is in your lap, your throat, your face; she wants to be held and then just melts.

They look for each other, follow each other, that bond formed very very quick. So cool to see them two interact with each other.

Fun to watch that Freyja is actually learning commands from Ragnar. I am not really saying much but mostly just doing hand signals and then patiently waiting for the correct action, then praise and treat. Starting over with Freyja has spotlighted to me how much Ragnar has gained with obedience, maturity and just doing the right thing. She is raw, impulsive and straight at you....a puppy.

The wife/girls are overjoyed with her. They are really pitching in ALOT this time. They don’t know it yet but they will be scheduled to take her to puppy classes also.

Ragnar and Freyja both get individual time. At first, I was concerned Ragnar would bond with Freyja soo much that he would change his mentality but it was apparent when I grabbed the keys and backpack to head out to the soccer fields.....he was waiting by the door ready to go. So he gets his 2hrs 3x week of individual time at the soccer fields. Freyja stays home until she at least gets all her Parvo shots. Too much goose poop laying around. I do some time just wandering around the yard doing fun stuff with Freyja looking for ways to incorporate training in fun. I am much wiser on that aspect and thanks for the puppy video @Doberman Gang (those Facebook comments are pretty funny too).

Potty training is a work in progress.
    0100, 0330, and 0500hrs getting up to go out. So far no accidents in crate. Will prob eliminate 0330 tonight and go straight 0100 and 0500.

She whined and howled like a fricking banshee first two nights in crate. I would lay next to crate, sheet on crate but hiked up a little to see me on ground, until she calmed down and then sleep on couch- 30ft away. Haven’t slept on the ground last two nights but still on couch, don’t want to wake up wife as I get up to let her out to potty.

Started posting last night- damn I’ve lost my skills!!! That shit wasn’t easy, hahaha.... Post stayed in last night, will see what the girls says as I am working today.

F7EF933C-59FB-4FEF-95AA-F8E6847BD57F.jpeg

• Appreciation Appreciation x 9
    • Like Like x 6
  2. AnnV

AnnV $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

So glad and touched to read this, my eyes almost tearing up. Freya sounds like The dream puppy, cuddly, wanting to be held and melting, aww, jealous here! lol. So no shark teeth?
    Good that Ragnar gets his own me time, and it must feel great for you that your girls are now able to help out so much, I can feel all of yours' excitement. Lots of love.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Panama

Panama Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

She is gorgeous!

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Great photo of the both of them. Sounds like she is doing well and settling in just fine. Ragnar will help her learn and I hear females mature faster. So enjoy the puppy antics for a while, soon you will have another loyal dobershark!

This honestly makes me want another.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Awesome!
    And she’s adorable!:thumbsup:

6. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

awwww it's the BEST when they want to snuggle. Rubie is a snuggle MONSTER; Moose, not so much.

Sounds like they're getting along wonderfully :thumbsup:

7. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Wonderful to read this. It is remarkable to think of how much we can worry about introducing a new puppy and whether the resident dog would accept the new arrival, but it turns out to be like long lost friends being reunited. Reminds me of the first time I heard some one say that Dobermans always find each other at the dog park like as if they just recognize each other. It's just heart warming :love:

8. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Aw, so good to hear everything is going swimmingly! The girls could try to do some crate training during the day so she learns it's not so scary. Just in, treat, close door, treat, open. Extending the length of time throughout the day. Nothing real long but it helps them relax at night when they aren't free all day then suddenly put up in crate for hours. Great to hear about the classes with the girls! I think they will enjoy having the responsibility of that and seeing the progress and outcome from it.

I love that her and Ragnar are getting along so well. It really does help to have an older dog that is at a GOOD place in their obedience levels to help teach the younger one and to give you a break.

My last recommendation is to take advantage and stay on top of those short nails! Ripley used to scream at getting hers done so we had to keep it super short and do one nail, treats, done. Then one paw and work our way up to all 4 paws. Once a week seems to keep them short and she's at the point she *tolerates* it but certainly doesn't enjoy it.

Enjoy those puppy snuggles. Ripley (when she's tired enough to snuggle now :rolleyes:) loves shoving her muzzle in my neck and falling asleep. She's done this since she got here and I don't know why but it's really special. :love:

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  9. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

For the longest time I really felt like the Doberman breed just wasn't what it use to be. She was just like you describe Ragnar here. I'm sure now it's just genetics - they are born that way and it's nothing personal. You got a perfect compliment to Ragnar with new puppy and you get to experience the "other kind" of Dobe!

10. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

It sounds like things are going great and so many of the things you describe sound just like our two.

LOL and I thought it was way easier this time but I've done 5 Doberman's now so it
    might just stay in the back of my mind from pup to pup. I will say that Phoebe has smaller canals than any of our others and she's still in 1/2" posts, which is unusual at this age.
    I love that too!

• Like Like x 2
  11. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

She's adorable and I'm so glad to hear everything is going so well! It's great when the whole family is on the same page! I have no doubt you guys will do well!

12. AnnV

So is Phoebe your 5th or 6th one?

13. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Phoebe is our 4th but I helped my friend post hers too since she had no experience with it.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ArdynBane

ArdynBane Jr Member

Look at those giant paws of hers! Congrats on the new addition - she's adorable!

15. C908

C908 Notable member

Congrats ! I haven't been on for a while because I stay very busy now that we have two. Update, things are going very well and they seem to really love each other. Preacher puts up with so much, sometimes she sits on him or straddles him. Wherever Preacher goes Mercy is not far behind. Mercy is very loving, loves to cuddle and give kisses. She is also more gentle with our cats. We are working on leash training, still have a ways to go. One issue we have is she gets car sick, never had that problem with Preacher. Another issue we have is she likes to scratch at the ground and then nibble on the dirt. We can't seem to get her nails as short as I would like. Our groomer said her quick is farther out than Preachers so there is only so much she can do. They both get their nails trimmed every 3 wks. I forgot what it was like potty training, we are doing better. Mercy weighed 17.5 lbs when we got her July 26th, a few days ago she weighed 36 lbs. She looks long legged and seems very lean. I'm considering increasing her food intake, always acts like she is starving. That's about it for now, we are very excited to follow the Ragner story.

Mod note: copied and moved post here - Update on Mercy.

16. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Ragnar is the perfect big brother :love:
    I really look forward to following their journey together.

17. Ddski5

I know I know...

I hate it when folks video vertical on the iPhone- sorry.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 8
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. AnnV

Love it how your cat came up to check out the action. Very nice cat.
    Freya is soooo sweet oh my. I want one just like her badly. Wish I could come and hold her, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Haha I noticed the cat too. Brave but good kitty. Ragnar's size and speed scared the crap out of Freyja huh? Poor thing lol! Thanks for the glimpse into the first day! She seemed pretty comfortable with the place.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Ddski5

Yeah, once she settled in, she has no fear of him at all. Goes at him hard with no worries- actually too much. I have to time her out often because she goes after his ears. He is being to nice to her.

Posting seems difficult as her ears/bell is sooo small and she is a little firecracker.

44DF5A13-112A-4FD7-B85B-6003F461570F.jpeg

516A67C5-EC9C-4EAC-83CA-EE4A9AFC593A.jpeg

63CC9530-7950-4343-8157-A87B050B7420.jpeg

• Appreciation Appreciation x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1