• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Ragnar’s Taurine test results

Ddski5

Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
Switched from TOTW to 4Health performance back when the Taurine stuff came out. No additives or supplements given.

Ragnar’s results are within normal limits.

Sent from Vet to UC Davis
3B4539B7-561E-4674-9F17-FA02BF479CE8.jpeg

@Tropicalbri's
Don’t know why they would choose plasma vs whole blood?

The more reading and research I do, the more contradictory and confusing it is. Now they are saying that there is a high percentage of dogs who have normal taurine levels but have DCM.

Vet blogs and Vet Facebooks recommend RCC and PPP??

When I get more time I will post more of my thoughts and findings in the DCM-Taurine thread.

@Ddski5 did you have before the food swab testing results, by chance? I'm sure if you'd had them, you would've posted them but that would've been an interesting comparison.

How long were you on the new food before you had the tests done? Is that stuff like an overnight change or does it take a couple of weeks? If it really is dietary fiber preventing the salts from being re-absorbed into the body, I would think it would be a pretty significant chance fairly quick.

Is that stuff like an overnight change or does it take a couple of weeks?
They recommend testing 3 months after food change.

It should be whole blood. I believe it is more accurate from what Ive read. Yes, they are finding dogs with DCM that have normal taurine readings. An echo will help give a complete picture with the taurine test. The taurine test is a step in the right direction. Thank you for sharing. It is largely confusing because nothing is definitive about why this is happening to some breeds/dogs.

@Ddski5 our clinic recommend sending both plasma and whole blood. I did one of each for both my pups. If whole blood is partially or fully clotted it will be rejected for testing.

Edit: Freezing and thawing a couple times of sample is necessary to separate taurine from the cells when testing levels.

I think just by having a Dobermann I would be supplementing with a low doses of Taurine and others supplements.
Lets face the reality that 60% or more of this breed can end up with DCM. And up to 30% can die from Sudden Death.

@LifeofRubie

1. No I did not have the test done before hand.
2. I had him on 4Health Performance for four months and then had him tested.
3. As what Rits said, I think I read somewhere being on the new food for three months.

Back