• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Question for ya

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have known people who lived in the sticks with no fenced yard, and the dogs stayed with them or close to the house. I don't have a kennel at all but in all honesty do wish I did at times. Dobe pups have a tendency (at least mine have) to pick up things and eat them, to chew the ends off bushes and small tree branches, and just generally ingest things they shouldn't. I have never had another breed of dog (and I've had several breeds) that would actually swallow so many things they should not. I keep saying I wish I had a kennel with a concrete floor so I could leave a a young dog who has not out grown this in the yard on nice days and still come back in the house to do things I need to do. I would never leave a dog out when I am not home but I am home 99% of the time. I have a survelence camera on my back yard to watch the dogs on if I am not out there with them, but you can't prevent them from eating sticks with it.

I also do follow up with people who have my kittens for the life of the kitten. My contract requires they notify me if they move or change phone numbers. Most have honored that. Since only 2 were placed with full registration and only one was ever actually bred there are few grandkittens.
Silent - that sounds great, I wish people did this. I have been into animals for over 45 years - or longer and have never had a home check. Never - ever. Not even a phone call on the references I provided...

I agree with the fenced yard - but again, a person has to be flexible or at least reasonable. The no fence was the "hang up" when I tried to adopt - while I do have a "fenced kennel" - I don't use it and plan on letting the chickens in there to eat the 3 foot tall grass next summer...
The dogs exercise themselves while I am outside and for whatever the reason, I have never had one of them run off. Puppies are hidden from when little - scares them and from that point on, they don't get out of sight... or I have the Polaris or my golf cart...
They are not outside unless I am with them, otherwise - it's a quick potty and back in.
So a person has to be flexible and reasonable to each circumstance - use their head and not a list when finding a home for a puppy/dog.

Something like evil pine trees is different from dangers that can be prevented. My boy ran under my car about a week after I brought him home (chasing after a cat) and managed to catch his head on something under it requiring several stitches. Accidents happen lol. He has the scar to show it!
Again, while that sounds good - all my dogs have nicks out of their sides from zooming through the pines - just bad scrapes - but still they got scraped. Who would know that pine trees could be bad? As much as you would love to protect them from everything - you can't. I agree, if you were to do a home check - the yard would be one.

deladobes, I do not know for sure if your litter was planned or an accident. Doesn't really matter now does it. If you reread my post you will see that.
My concern is that you do do right by the pups, which means that all homes are approved, responsible people who will spay or neuter their pups from this unplanned breeding so that they too will not make the same mistakes you did.
But..........I do have a question or two for ya.............have you made an appointment with your Vet to have your Male neutered and have you discussed how soon you can have the Dam spayed after the pups are weaned? Or do you plan on another breeding of your two dobes in the future?

Dela, I know I have sounded brass at times but when you see this mistakes continue over and over....with the same stories. It is really simple. Follow through with fixing those dogs and make sure you have a contract that the puppies are fixed. Otherwise, this recursive cycle continues.

The male should be fixed now because I assure you that he will know when anything is in season and he will be most creative in finding that female. Doberman males are persistant.

Know that a male that is not fixed is very hard to work in even obedience, much less agility. I hope you will do this soon because the female will be back in and there will be another accident.

My advice on advertising is that it doesn't matter so much where as to how you interview and check the homes out. People can tell you anything and will. Checking out the homes, like everyone has said is more important and making exactly when and at what age the puppies will be fixed. We are glad you are trying to make this happen.

Let us know when you have acted on fixing them. We will congradulate you.

Becky

Did I miss something? What I am hearing on this board is that each and every one of us cares very much about our animals. We wouldn't be here otherwise. None of us has anything to prove to anyone else. We've already shown that by being here and asking questions and giving input. Schools out, we've all graduated.

Silent - Last summer Chipper turned to chase a rock I had thrown and ran full tilt into the frame of our boat trailer - it was so bad I took him immediately to the vet. Nothing, not a thing... but it sounded like something should have broke! I have a screened in porch for when I need to do something in the house (which isn't often) and need them out of the way and again, I don't know why the boys just don't go anywhere. Ernie chews - more than the other dogs, but it's more selective than sticks - he prefers seat belts... shaking my head...

And Becky while you may be right in what you are saying - you have the tack of a brass bat...why belabor a point when the person has said they will take care of it? It's the pushing like you are doing that gets people to "buck" and not do it and makes them angry.... while you might think you are helping - you aren't. While you can suggest, the woman owes you no explanation or an announcement ...she owes you nothing at all.

And Becky while you may be right in what you are saying - you have the tack of a brass bat...why belabor a point when the person has said they will take care of it? It's the pushing like you are doing that gets people to "buck" and not do it and makes them angry.... while you might think you are helping - you aren't. While you can suggest, the woman owes you no explanation or an announcement ...she owes you nothing at all.[/quote]

Let me be clear, it is not about me. It is about the dogs. There are many people that read these posts to learn and will never post. They need to understand what we encourage and recommend. It's not about Dela, or you or me or how blunt we are or how sweet we are.....it is about making sure the thread is educational. If someone is mad about the truth, and wants to "buck" me through their dogs........that's a sick puppy. I will always speak out for the breed I love and if you want to make that "belaboring a point", then you can ignore my posts. No one owes me anything.....they do owe their dogs and that's the point. If you don't want puppies, you fix your dogs.

Becky

ok my post went away!

what I said was.....in my life time not one breeder of any animal i have bought has made a house call. even though I invite them to stop in anytime. I send pictures.....but hear little.I got zoo from a dpca member and still didnt have a home visit. not for dogs-horses-cats nothing........

so.......how many of you all have had a home visit before buying a pup or any animal for that matter?

I know I do home checks if I place a rescue..... but I sure do not see many people doing home checks......in fact I only have heard of a few rescues doing it.

and along the same lines......what would you look for with a home check?

the only thing that would intrest me where how the other animals looked and where cared for. so to me......I would think a good vet reference would be a great thing! many people have big nice homes and beautiful yards and well behaved kids! and out back in a tiny kennel lays the family dog. god forbid it get mud on the floor or DOG HAIR! just saying......money cant buy love. you can tell alot about a person by the care of other animals in the home.

but really I would like to know how many people who bought a doberman had a house check???? can someone make a poll?

IDR has a thorough application - they did do a vet check and a home visit before I was able to adopt Casper and Toula. The home vist required all family members be present, Jo toured the house and property and met Bear Bear my chihuahua. We chatted at length about my past dogs - and also my experence with dobermans and dogs in general. Since my yard was not fenced she asked on what plans were in place to provide exercise for a young dobe.

Becky said:Let me be clear, it is not about me. It is about the dogs.

While you think it is about the dogs - you are offending people and it is people that ultimately drives the dog to and pays for the spaying and neutering. If you keep fronting THEM off it is more likely people that you are trying to educate will simply say "screw you" and not spay or neuter their dogs, which I agree - would be a sad thing.

Fact: There are people that love the looks of white dogs - the Z factor dogs. There always will be and nothing you say here will stop that. Nothing. We have debated this point on several posts and quite honestly other than a debate - nothing can be done about it. Other than you offering your disdain and seeming idea that there is something wrong with these dogs...there has been proof both ways.

Fact: People like what they like... "the oversized" Dobes have been bred forever - there will always be those that want something different...

It only takes a minute to consider peoples feelings with your passionate rants... there is a person on the other end of that leash, and they have as much right to their opinions and their dogs as you.

Well said Jstlovesdobes, other wise, the first ever albinos and Z dogs would of been killed from the get go. Dela is doing a great job, I get the opportunity to see a lot more than anybody else and she is doing great, I am even helping her to find great owners who will be educated on what the 'z factor' really is.

As for home visits... I know my ex and I actually stalked :D we knew where they were before and would swing by and check out the neighborhood and what we could see in the yards. Then they would spend at least 3 hours at my house before going off with my pups. OH GAWD... isnt that funny... the accidental breeder checking out homes, wow... what was i thinking :) And then to top it off I told them I would puppy sit.. and if any probs to bring the pup back! Which one guy did... I am just so silly for a novice. Silly me.

Anyways, Point is... Dela is taking care of mom... and will take care of all the babies... and I think we may have great strong people who can handle a dobie (and my people have secure jobs). So really... nobody should have to worry about that... because its already being handled. nuff said

hrd2gt thank you dear and I know she is - did you know at one time the fawn's and the blues were killed at birth as well? Isn't that funny? Only the Red's and Blacks were kept. Culling litters at one time was normal and approved of. Now it would get you thrown in jail in a heart beat.

hrd2gt thank you dear and I know she is - did you know at one time the fawn's and the blues were killed at birth as well? Isn't that funny? Only the Red's and Blacks were kept. Culling litters at one time was normal and approved of. Now it would get you thrown in jail in a heart beat.

:eek:mg: I never knew that...that is just horrible....

When I was showing dogs in the late 60's - the fawn - Isabella's - were extremely rare as were the blues. I was told by an old Dobie breeder that they were culled from the litters in Germany and in the US...

You would be amazed at the culling that has gone on for years and years in MANY breeds. Rhodi's with no ridges, mismarked Collies, Fawn Dobes, merle Dachs, unspotted Dalmations..........the list goes on. Can you imagine the culling that went on with ALL the man made breeds to produce a breed that bred true to type and Standard? Ugly thought, but it did happen. I agree no puppy should be culled, unless it is suffering. BUT, I DO NOT agree with breeding the pups who do not conform to the Standard for its breed. About the WHite DObe, it seems to have 'popped' up for the first time at a kennel which bred DObes for money not type. Of course they would not have culled or spayed and neutered these white pups, they saw a way to make lots and lots of money of a Dobe of a 'different' color, plain and simple. If they had of been 'surgically' culled {spay, neuter}at the very first sign of them, they would not be here today. Now we are infested with them. And I still have not seen or heard of any reason why they should be an accepted color for the Doberman Pinscher. Same as the 'over-sized' Doberman, they are not correct to Standard. The Standard of Perfection is there to keep a Breed looking like they were meant to be. You who like a bigger dog, a white dog, etc., there are many other breeds or mixed breed shelter dogs you could own who would meet your Standards. Quit trying to change this breed to suit your own personal wants and needs. Pick up a copy of the Doberman Breed Standard and read it.

I don't think anyone on here is trying to undermine the breed so much as accepting what's out there to be purchased. It would take a nation wide boycot of these dobes to put a stop to it. I personally don't see that as a happening possibility. Not saying that I do or don't agree with the breed standard. I'm just saying it's unlikely given the sheer numbers of whites or Z factored out there. The place to make that change isn't here on this board; it's with the AKC, they're the ones who register them after all. Not trying to be mean about this, just seeing the reality here.

ANYWHERE DOberman are discussed, the Standard needs to be brought up. We ALL need to be reminded of its IMPORTANCE!!!!!

The AKC IS being 'reminded' that we will not condone the registering of cross bred DOberman. SOme of you may believe that the WHite DObes are pure, I have serious doubts. Just like the DOberman litter recently registered with the AKC as DOberman, they have masks on their face NOT the Standard Black and Tan markings.

It is up to ALL of us to protect this Breed we love. I am Canadian, but I am still letting my concerns know to the AKC. What are any of you doing?

DLS...while not the same thing - I raised Gordon Setters... and they are "Black & Tan" - I had a litter that produced " pumpkin heads" as well.... my dogs were not mixed... it happens. Just like the Rotties that are Red and tans...when you don't cull - this is what happens, they crop up just like they always have.
You can talk to AKC all you want and they will tell you they are only a registry service... if you want to do something to help - contact the mother club...they are the ones that can make changes, etc. Not AKC...

Try, try and try again. The more people who voice their concerns the better. The AKC, and the DPCA will listen if they get 1000's of letters, not just one or two.
I have been involved with this breed most of my life. I have NEVER seen a Registered Doberman Pinscher in Canada of any other color than what is described in the Standard. No masks, no white, no solid, no brindle................just Doberman Pinscher as they were meant to be.

Because breeders didn't use to get arrested for animal abuse for culling litters... just because you haven't seen them - doesn't mean they don't/didn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back