• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Question for ya

Status
Not open for further replies.
DLS... I know you think this was planned, but IT WASNT...

That said, I would really love to stop repeating myself... IT DOES NO GOOD. I could say it a thousand times and people would never listen so Im wasting my breath...

I will not say it again... THis was an accident... but I WILL do the right thing... Please stop with that question... It is been well worn out...

MODS...please feel free to edit, but I would like this post to stay active!

Zoorox~

I don't see what's wrong with running an ad either as long as prospective purchasers and their homes are screened. I hear it won't be necessary anyway. Dela found homes for all the puppies without having to go that route. So I really don't see what the big deal is with asking the question for the sake of polling for opinions. How else is a person supposed to learn anything about this if they've never been through it before?

I don't think it matters as much where you advertise, other than that some places seem to attract people you would screen out.

The important thing is that you screen the homes and have a good contract to protect the pups. Try to visit the home or have someone local that you trust visit it. Try to meet all family members who live in the house to see how they not only interact with the dog but also with each other. If for example they have children who are not well behaved and listen to the parents, or parents that do not correct inappropiate behavior as visitors they are not likely to at home. Children are generally on their best behavior at someone elses house or around a stranger, if you have doubts trust your gut instinct.

Dobes and children can be great together but it isn't all based on the dogs temperament some of it is in how the children respect the dog and how the puppy is raised to respect the children. I think a lot of dog bites were preventable if the parents teach the children that the dog is a living being and should be respected and treated with kindness.

Ask for references and check them. Ask about previous pets and what happened to them. It's a lot of work screening homes and matching a pups personality to the right home where it has a great chance of success, but it is well worth the time and effort it takes to know your pups are loved and taken care of in forever homes.

deladobes, I do not know for sure if your litter was planned or an accident. Doesn't really matter now does it. If you reread my post you will see that.
My concern is that you do do right by the pups, which means that all homes are approved, responsible people who will spay or neuter their pups from this unplanned breeding so that they too will not make the same mistakes you did.
But..........I do have a question or two for ya.............have you made an appointment with your Vet to have your Male neutered and have you discussed how soon you can have the Dam spayed after the pups are weaned? Or do you plan on another breeding of your two dobes in the future?

I do have a question or two for ya.............have you made an appointment with your Vet to have your Male neutered and have you discussed how soon you can have the Dam spayed after the pups are weaned? Or do you plan on another breeding of your two dobes in the future?
Romeo is not yet two but yes he will be neutered, and I have already spoken to the vet about getting Jewels spayed after delivery.

Thanks JanS and deladobies. The old Bob Barker words keep rotating around my brain. Spay and Neuter your pets. Simple words yet so effective in stoping these accidental breedings from ever occuring at all.

I just hope everything goes well with this labor and delivery. Sounds like you've got everything under control dela.

Thanks Jan for posting that...

As soon as the vet gives me the go ahead on Jewels she will be getting spayed... Im more so worried about the added stress with the puppies...
Ive already called about Rome... Ive decided to get him done before we start agility training in March...

But this was already decided well before any of this ever happened.

ok my post went away!

what I said was.....in my life time not one breeder of any animal i have bought has made a house call. even though I invite them to stop in anytime. I send pictures.....but hear little.I got zoo from a dpca member and still didnt have a home visit. not for dogs-horses-cats nothing........

so.......how many of you all have had a home visit before buying a pup or any animal for that matter?

I know I do home checks if I place a rescue..... but I sure do not see many people doing home checks......in fact I only have heard of a few rescues doing it.

When I raised persians many years ago, I did home visits if I did not already know the person and had previously been at their home. I still have my cattery name registered with cfa and tica and if I ever again bred cats, I would do the same. If I bred dobes I would either visit the home or if by some wild chance I placed out of my area, I would find someone in the area to visit. Most likely I would not place further away than I could visit myself.

I had known the breeder of my female for about a year and although she did not do a home visit she is welcome to and knows that. For both of my dobes I drove several hours each way to pick them up, neither were shipped.

and along the same lines......what would you look for with a home check?

the only thing that would intrest me where how the other animals looked and where cared for. so to me......I would think a good vet reference would be a great thing! many people have big nice homes and beautiful yards and well behaved kids! and out back in a tiny kennel lays the family dog. god forbid it get mud on the floor or DOG HAIR! just saying......money cant buy love. you can tell alot about a person by the care of other animals in the home.

but really I would like to know how many people who bought a doberman had a house check???? can someone make a poll?

One of my guys breeders did a home check; Chloe's breeder. And she did keep up by phone up until a couple of months ago when I informed her I was giving serious consideration to re-homing her because of her behavior issues. Haven't heard a word out of her since then.

Sure Zoo, we can start a poll on it.

I think the home check is a great idea, but we've never once had one done on any of the dogs we've purchased, even though the breeder of our GSP did call from time to time to see how he was doing.
With the horses we have, and I appreciate letting someone come and check out the place to see how well we take care of them.

I also think home checks are great lol"!!! I just have never had one ha! I hear folks say a good breeder should do them......but I really wonder how many do.

So far I know everyone personally, but if I didnt I WOULD have a home check....
I will keep these guys forever if I have too... I want them in good homes... no exceptions...

I would want vet references and to know that previous animals recieved routine and any medical care needed.

If you do not own I want permission from your landlord to have the animal. If you move I want to know that if you can not take the animal to an equally good enviroment with you that it will be returned to me. If you have someplace you want to place it like a friend that the pet loves, I want to know that enviroment is as good.

I want to know what happend to previous pets and if you would do something different now what would it be.

I want to know if you have a fenced yard or how you plan to exercise the dog safely. I don't mind someone having a kennel as a safe place for a dog at times, but would never place a dog to live in a kennel or chained or even left in a fenced yard. They should be part of the family not yard ornaments. With persians they should never be allowed outside unless you have a fully screened/protected area for them.

I would want to see that your kids are respectful of animals, and that it is wanted by everyone in the family because it HAS to be part of the family.

I couldn't care less if you have a fancy house, clothes or car. Having money does not mean you will spend it on the pet if needed. Paying a lot for something does not automatically mean one will take good care of it. I have seen poor people take good care of what they have and well off people who consider everything disposable.

I want to know you have sufficent income to care for the animal, that if need be you will do without things yourself (which are not life or death needs) so that they do not do without things like good food and medical care.

I totally agree that one can tell a lot about how a person will take care of an animal by how they do current or past ones.

For a large or high drive breed (not persians lol) I would want to know what experience you have with that or similar breeds, to know what training you planned to make the dog a joy to spend time with and not a dope-on-a-rope in the yard.

I want to know that you have time to spend with the dog. With a pup, that it is not going to be crated for a solid 8 hr shift which makes it virtually impossible to housetrain and become the dog you want it to be.

I want a pup to go to a warm loving forever home, with people who know what to expect from a large higher drive dog. I want to feel that the home will be a forever home and that if something unexpected did come up (and it can no matter how carefully one plans) that you will do what is in the dogs best interest even if that means returning them.

and along the same lines......what would you look for with a home check?

the only thing that would intrest me where how the other animals looked and where cared for. so to me......I would think a good vet reference would be a great thing! many people have big nice homes and beautiful yards and well behaved kids! and out back in a tiny kennel lays the family dog. god forbid it get mud on the floor or DOG HAIR! just saying......money cant buy love. you can tell alot about a person by the care of other animals in the home.

but really I would like to know how many people who bought a doberman had a house check???? can someone make a poll?

Silent - that sounds great, I wish people did this. I have been into animals for over 45 years - or longer and have never had a home check. Never - ever. Not even a phone call on the references I provided...

I agree with the fenced yard - but again, a person has to be flexible or at least reasonable. The no fence was the "hang up" when I tried to adopt - while I do have a "fenced kennel" - I don't use it and plan on letting the chickens in there to eat the 3 foot tall grass next summer...
The dogs exercise themselves while I am outside and for whatever the reason, I have never had one of them run off. Puppies are hidden from when little - scares them and from that point on, they don't get out of sight... or I have the Polaris or my golf cart...
They are not outside unless I am with them, otherwise - it's a quick potty and back in.
So a person has to be flexible and reasonable to each circumstance - use their head and not a list when finding a home for a puppy/dog.

Also forgot to add, the yard does not have to be "beautiful", it does have to be safe. I would for example complain about a stack of tin for the barn roof laying where the pup would likely do zoomies.

Again, while that sounds good - all my dogs have nicks out of their sides from zooming through the pines - just bad scrapes - but still they got scraped. Who would know that pine trees could be bad? As much as you would love to protect them from everything - you can't. I agree, if you were to do a home check - the yard would be one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back