• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Purpleish ear tips

CoolDansta

Hello all I am concerned for my 4 month old pup Ruby's have been posting her ears backerrod method with torbot glue I was replacing her posts on Thursday April 14 2022 when I noticed her ear tips were purple and one was swollen I took her to the vet on Friday the 15th and they said that the ears seem fine since they are warm and she has feeling in them i massage them to help blood flow as well as applying ointment that the vet gave me but to come back on Monday so I did just now with a follow up and the ears seem to look better but not as much as I expected. the vet said the ears seem to be doing fine but I'm still not at ease. The black spec on the edge is a scab that the tape made when I was removing the post on thursday..
The image below was taken just now

Attachments

• 20220418_113353.jpg
    20220418_113353.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 20
it actually, to me (not an expert) looks like it could just be the color of her ear? My girl has some darker skin on that area of her ears.

Sorry if the rainbow background makes it difficult to see; I managed to catch her during Nap #3

1650312508773.png

But difficult to tell from a picture for me...

it actually, to me (not an expert) looks like it could just be the color of her ear? My girl has some darker skin on that area of her ears.

Sorry if the rainbow background makes it difficult to see; I managed to catch her during Nap #3

View attachment 125479

But difficult to tell from a picture for me...
Thanks for the reply. It just worries me. This is how her ears looked Thursday after removing her posts

Attachments

• 20220415_071915.jpg
    20220415_071915.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220415_071937.jpg
    20220415_071937.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 13
Also are her ears cold in the mornings? Ruby's ears are cold in the morning then about 2 hours after she wakes up they start to warm up

That looks pretty normal to me. You are wrapping the tape loose enough, aren't you?

The black spec on the edge is a scab that the tape made when I was removing the post on thursday..
Being that you use Torbot's do you use Unisolve as well?

No I would use alcohol but I realized it's not good
There's nothing wrong with alcohol but it doesn't work well as an adhesive remover. I use the Tobort's myself but I can't imagine getting the posts out without the Unisolve.

There's nothing wrong with alcohol but it doesn't work well as an adhesive remover. I use the Tobort's myself but I can't imagine getting the posts out without the Unisolve.
I'll keep that in mind for the future thank you.
This image was from yesterday the 17th

Attachments

• 20220417_103107.jpg
    20220417_103107.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 20
I think the ears look OK too. What a gorgeous puppy!!! Welcome to Doberman Chat from New Mexico!

Gorgeous girlie....I agree that the ears look fine. Great that you are keeping an eye on them though! Nothing wrong with being a helicopter parent ;) :love:

I have to be honest here and say the first picture you posted really had me worried….tissue/skin/extremities that are cut off from oxygenated blood become necrotic. They turn blue, then dark purple and then black. The first picture appears as it something (tape) constricted the ear and cut off blood supply.

Then I scrolled down and read your next reply and saw up to date pictures and the ears did not appear to be so dark, they actually look as if they lightened up….most likely from you massaging and paying attention to the worried areas. Good for you for recognizing a possible issue and acting on this ASAP. Being too safe or worrisome is a hell of a lot better then having irreversible necrotic ear tips.

Lesson learned, pay attention to how tight ears are posted. Tape loosely and then collapse the tape onto rod/ear surface by grasping the excess into a closed fist.

Tbh, this is one of the main reasons why I would post my pups ears myself.

Good job and good luck!

I have to be honest here and say the first picture you posted really had me worried….tissue/skin/extremities that are cut off from oxygenated blood become necrotic. They turn blue, then dark purple and then black. The first picture appears as it something (tape) constricted the ear and cut off blood supply.

Then I scrolled down and read your next reply and saw up to date pictures and the ears did not appear to be so dark, they actually look as if they lightened up….most likely from you massaging and paying attention to the worried areas. Good for you for recognizing a possible issue and acting on this ASAP. Being too safe or worrisome is a hell of a lot better then having irreversible necrotic ear tips.

Lesson learned, pay attention to how tight ears are posted. Tape loosely and then collapse the tape onto rod/ear surface by grasping the excess into a closed fist.

Good job and good luck!
Thank you for the input. I will keep updating on her ears.

Thank you for the input. I will keep updating on her ears.

Good job and good luck!
Come to think of it I think her ears might be getting worse so the picture on the right was taken the 16th and the picture in the left wa stakes just now (19th) she was outside for like 5 hours though. And its pretty warm outside in the sun

Attachments

• 20220419_140741.jpg
    20220419_140741.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 16
I would stop using any alcohol products on her ears. I remember when doing the ears on mine, when I used alcohol to clean ears, it made the ears cold.

I would keep massaging and put small warm compresses on her ears to promote blood movement to the outer edges.

Back