• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Puppy won't stop squatting (nothing comes out)

Fuji-san

Help... I have a 9 week old MALE puppy that I took outside this afternoon to pee and he did just fine. However, in the past hour he has squatted like he was going to go, no less than 15-20 times and nothing comes out. I don't know if this is his way of marking his territory or if something is wrong. I called the vet and he doesn't seem to think it's an emergency. Thoughts?

I'd be concerned enough to call the vet just like you did. Watch Fuji carefully and try to get a urine sample for testing. He may have a urinary tract infection.

I'd be concerned enough to call the vet just like you did. Watch Fuji carefully and try to get a urine sample for testing. He may have a urinary tract infection.
i agree maybe a little infection which might go away on it's own i remember my girl doing this but only lasted a day, make sure he has enough water 24/7, if it continues i would visit your vet

I agree. Could be a UTI. JC used to do this and that's what he had. He also ended up having a bladder stone that had to be removed.

i agree with the above and for sure its not trying to mark, because he is just 9 weeks old.
Keep a eye on it and maybe make a apointment with the vet. better safe then sorry

Yeah, so I ended up taking him out in town to the Japanese vet since our "wonderful" military vet will not accept or see anyone except during normal hours. He does have a bladder infection due to bacteria that have formed crystals in the urine which give him the sensation of having to pee non-stop. His is on anti-biotics for 14 days and the vet said to put cranberry juice in his water, which he surprisingly likes. I feel bad for him and its really frustrating because he was pretty much potty trained in less than a week, but now I have wee wee pads all over the house for him to go on, I can't really keep him in his crate because I don't want him to go in the crate, and I obviously cannot really discipline him right now other than move him to the wee pads until the medicine kicks in. The only good place for him in my house to be is in my bedroom during this time because of the way Japanese homes are in terms of lack of central air and heat, so I've pretty much guaranteed myself to share a bed with a Doberman for the next 10-12 years cause he'll be big enough to jump up on it when I'm gone. LOL. Like it wasn't going to happen eventually anyway :). And after all of that, his posts came out pretty bad, so I had to re-tape them today. Poor guy has had a tough, tough day. He HATES getting his ears taped and cries when I remove the tape...any tips on making this less painful??? I really don't want him snapping at me in the next couple of months every time I remove his tape. Fuji is my second Doberman and to be honest, even though I don't humane issues with cropping, I hate seeing him in pain and going through the weekly hassle, but I digress. Hopefully he gets used to it soon and heals from this infection quickly.

He HATES getting his ears taped and cries when I remove the tape...any tips on making this less painful???
Be sure you pull with the hair rather than against it. What kind of tape are you using? Also, a couple drops of baby oil on a cotton ball can be used to help loosen the adhesive making it easier to remove. As you pull the tape back use the oil at the spot where the tape meets the hair, it should help.

Glad you took him out in town. I've never used any vets on base but I've not heard the best things about them. I hope the antibiotics will get you guys back on track ASAP.

I'm glad to hear you got him in right away and that he's getting the meds to make it better. Poor guy...

As for removing the tape, I always use the Uni-solve and it pretty much makes them almost fall right off, and you lose a lot less hair that way too. http://www.amazon.com/Nephew-Uni-Solve-Adhesive-Remover/dp/B000E5BKVE
Another thing to try is to sprinkle baby powder to the hair side of the ear before taping them so it doesn't stick as tight to that side, but will still hold in place from the other sides.

Yeah, I think the meds are starting to kick in a little bit. The volume of urine is definitely more and he doesn't squat as frequently. However, as I almost had him potty trained for the most part before he had this infection, he hardly goes onto the wee wee pads and there is urine pretty much all over my house. I bring him onto the pads when I catch him in the act, and I really don't want him to get used to going on the pads because I want him to go outside, and I can't very well crate train him because he can't really control himself right now. I also in good conscience punish a dog that has medical issues, but nonetheless it is DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!! It has been difficult at times keeping up with the pee on the floor, taking him to the pad, going to clean up the mess and turing around and him have to go again. Anyone have any bright ideas on how to get back on track with the house training during this little medical issue? He really is a great puppy and a lot of fun...this is definitely teaching me patience right now!

I'm glad he's starting to improve anyway. You're doing a good job considering his situation and when Della had the problem I'd still carry on and take her outside when I'd catch her trying to go. Granted there were some accidents because she couldn't help it, but you'll gradually get him back on track with your persistence. :)

I would be trying to section off an area that was tile with an Xpen or something. Something to make cleanup easier for now. Take him out frequently too, before he goes on the floor, if you can. It's a tough situation and I sympathize! But at least you know what it is and he's improving.

Poor puppy! Patience is the first thing they try to teach us, isn't it?

Be sure you're cleaning the "accident" areas up well, so that he doesn't continue to smell his leavings there and think it's an okay spot. I'm glad you're realistic about what he can and can't control right this second, even though the peeing is driving you nuts!

Back