Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Puppy Playtime

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Nico, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Nico

Nico Novitiate

Hi everyone, I’m new to the Doberman breed, only had retrievers. I’m exited about our new puppy’s potential to be a smart, loyal, and protective dog. He is currently 8 weeks and has lots of energy. We work on training but I’m looking for suggestions for playtime to help get out his energy. He sometimes plays with the neighbor dogs, but he doesn’t have his shots so going to the park is not an option. What was your puppy’s favorite game at this age?

thank!

2. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Congratulations on your new pup!
    At that age we just concentrated on some free-play in the garden. Also started to introduce a collar and lease.
    At that age they really don't know when to stop. They can be hyper so the temptation to 'wear them out' with long walks is pretty tempting but not the correct way, IMO. Playing some ball (with breaks) a game of 'find it!' Or a short obedience session will help mentally challenge your pup as well as give them adequate exercise.

These are puppy X-Rays...

0E3710B5-CA57-4FD8-BFE1-A83F99DD7DD7.jpeg 887DE799-78C3-48CA-8F78-C0197C7C8023.jpeg

See how far their bones have to grow! Forced exercise is detrimental to not only the growing long bones of a puppy, but is bad on their unformed joints.

Playtime and training is sufficient for a young pup.

No forced exercise - running, excessive ball/stick/frisbee chasing, constant jumping..... (exercise that is defined as "anything beyond what the dog would engage in with dogs of the same age.") until they're about 18 months, or until their growth plates are closed. That doesn't mean they don't need exercise and lots of stimulation but it needs to be limited while on leash.
    This will allow you to enjoy many more years of exercising him by allowing adequate skeletal development.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I keep them on a soft surface like grass or sand (in your own yard) and let them free play. Ours have always liked to play with the Jolly ball in the fence and they usually won't over exert as long as they're playing at their own pace. Mental stimulation is always great exercise too.

Now where are the photos? ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Hot Topics Subscriber

Good advice above. I would also be careful of allowing your pup too much interaction with other dogs until he has had his puppy shots. Enjoy his puppy weeks, they are over just too fast!

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Nico

Nico Novitiate

Thank you for the replies. I definitely didn’t take Nico for a ball kind of pup but it turns out he loves it when we roll the ball. Thanks for the suggestion. His other favorite activity is chasing dirt clumps down our dirt pile.
    65C0FD49-C749-4113-9DD5-F944209770AA.jpeg 3E3601CB-9DED-4613-8CDE-2AC76429BC4E.jpeg

• Like Like x 2