• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Puppy peeing on bed

Elliethedoby

Novitiate
Hi all! My 4,5 month old girl peed on the bed just earlier 🤦‍♀️ It’s the second time she’s done it now - it was right after we’ve come home from our evening walk (she went potty and peed twice) and I left her alone for 5minutes. The next thing I see when I come in to the room is a wet spot on MY bed. The first time she has done it was also right after she came inside, after she played with another puppy.

I have no idea why she’s doing this, her potty training was going so good, with almost no accidents in the house, unless she gets too excited when visitors come. She’s also not allowed on the bed, unless invited - but that doesn’t happen often.

Any advice would be greately appreciated, as I truly don’t want her to make this a habit out of it. 🙏🏼

Attachments

• 828D2E7B-B1EA-4B57-972D-77F0710813B3.jpeg
    828D2E7B-B1EA-4B57-972D-77F0710813B3.jpeg
    419.1 KB · Views: 5
Hey there!

Personally, I would stop allowing her on the bed even when invited. I know that's a personal decision and if having her up there brings you enough joy then it's worth it; but for me, that would be an easy and big step in halting this. You'd also have to do as Panama said above and physically keep her from getting up there when you're not looking.

Panama's suggestion to try to make sure she's peed after playing with the other dog is a great one too.

Boy, it's got to be tough to deal with dog pee on a bed! I can't imagine.

I don't know if she's marking her territory once she get's home – claiming her most prized place. I'd think that in most cases 4.5 months would be too young for territorial behaviors to start, but I'm not certain.

That’s a very cute pup you have there🙂

At 4.5 months old they haven’t developed the spacial awareness or bladder control to be trusted to have unattended access to more than a restricted area of your house. It’s expecting too much of her when the regular toilet exit is a room away. The first time was probably an accident but once she’s pee’d in one place it becomes a pee place. If she got scolded or even sensed your displeasure for doing it originally it could have been an attention seeking action the second time. As Panama has said above, you need to stop access.

Make sure she does not have a UTI.
I would be crate training her. Dogs do not like to urinate or defecate where they sleep.
I would not allow her on the bed at all. Close off access to bedroom.
I used baby gates to limit access in my house. They need to earn the privilege of having access to other rooms.

Put her on a leash when outside and make sure she empties her bladder by walking her around where she normally urinates in the yard. Praise and treat when she goes.

Building a solid foundation now with rules and routines allows her to develop good habits and grow so she learns and becomes confident.
It takes layers of training but soon you will see her respecting her boundaries you have put in place and wanting to learn.

Be consistent firm but also fair, so she knows what is expected of her and where her place is in the house.

Get a handle on this now because she is soon approaching her doberteens and will challenge you at every turn and you don’t want this to become a habit you have to break.

No access equals no mess. Start the NILIF training and she will understand her place in the home.
Crate training IMO is very important on so many levels. It gives them a quiet den to relax in and makes them appreciate their time out of the crate.
My 13mo sleeps in his crate every night and is in it when I have to leave or just to have quiet time.
It’s his safe place to chill out.
My 5yr old still goes in her crate to be fed and just relax.

Training is key on everything these Dobermans do.

Back