1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Puppy food?

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by haunani, Jan 9, 2020.

1. haunani

haunani Novitiate

No pup here, yet, but doing my research ahead of time. I see that many of you use and recommend the ProPlan food for your dobies, but it is designed for adult dogs. I was one of the 'boutique feeders' last time I had dogs, so I've been absorbing all of this new information that has come about in the past few years.

What do you recommend for puppies? Of course, it'll be fed the same food as the breeder for a little bit to help it settle into a new home before changing the feed.

2. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Any 4-5 star rated all life stages food will be good

3. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Pre-made Raw

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Maja Rocks

Maja Rocks $ Forum Donor $

When in doubt ask your breeder.
    The last thing you want to do is make a big change in your puppies diet when you bring it home. Plenty of big changes already in your pups life....No need to add any more stress.

We feed what our breeder recommended.
    I our case a 25% protein chicken and rice based large breed puppy food kibel made by Diamond.
    Along with a large table spoon of plain yogurt ,2 table spoons of cottage cheese and 1/3 of a baked skinless chicken breast. Twice a day.

Maja just had our 6 month check up and our vet asked what we were feeding?
    When I told him he said Maja was in excellent health, perfect weight 55 #'s with a gorgeous coat.
    Don't change a thing!

Proof is in the puppy!
    Cheers
    MR

IMG_E8164.JPG IMG_8192.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hellion’s Bentley

Hellion’s Bentley Hot Topics Subscriber

I transitioned yo homemade raw as soon as Bentley came home at 8 weeks and he is 13 weeks and doing great! I am always learning how to do it better and more recipes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Maja Rocks

Maja Rocks $ Forum Donor $

How is the raw food diet going?
    I have several friends that have gone to raw food diets with mixed results.
    One thinks it's great her dog loves it and is thriving on it, and the other has 3 dogs that are sick all the time with digestive issues like vomiting and diarrhea.

MR

7. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

I don’t think anyone here will recommend Purina. As @Doberman Gang stated, find a good 4 or 5 star kibble if you don’t want to feed a raw diet.

I feed raw and sometimes a kibble around the holiday season. My dogs raw diet has been the most beneficial for him.

A6E9DACD-65E3-4373-9FC3-1AA6BA473994.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hellion’s Bentley

Hellion’s Bentley Hot Topics Subscriber

Raw feeding is going fine. Bentley likes it and only has diarrhea if he get to much fat or sardines. I have only had him vomit once and I think it was a chicken foot he did not chew well. He is gaining weight and has a healthy coat. He was 28 lbs at 13 weeks.

• Like Like x 1