Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Puppy eats everything!

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by MattyMcFly, Apr 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. MattyMcFly

MattyMcFly New Member

Hello everyone!! I am a new Doberman owner and have some questions. My puppy’s name is Kairo and he’s 11 weeks old! My dog eats everything outside! I’m trying my best to limit what he puts in his mouth but he’s always chewing. How can I limit this or train him to not do this anymore. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Welcome! Kairo! Nice name!

Yeah, our carefully designed, specialized domestic dogs are certainly lacking in the area of self preservation.

They need us, especially in the early months, to watch them closely and intervene calmly when necessary.

Basically, don't give them the opportunities to put stuff in their mouths. Crate training and baby gates are very helpful. Sometimes it may be handy to leash them to yourself in the house.

As for training: I have always had success with training "No," for use in all aspects of dog life. When it comes to stuff in the mouth, I always follow through and go to them and remove the item or stuff. This can mean sometimes reaching far to the back of the mouth and even down the throat a bit.

Of course, having trained them sufficiently so they will stop and not run from you is key. Do NOT let them get you into a game of chase me!

It's not a perfect science. Do the best you can, and be consistent. Success will build!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow x 1
  3. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

If he's just grabbing stuff and it's not something that can be swallowed, he's probably just exploring the New World. Mouthing everything is what tells him what's what. If he's on leash and safe from toxic things, if he's not obsessed with eating or swallowing, then just keep an eye on him. Provide him with lots of interactive play with you & a toy you provide. At that age my puppy loved a water bottle - remove the cap AND the plastic ring as those can be swallowed. Let him explore as much as he wants while on leash and safe, if he wants to put things in his mouth that are no-no's, always have a ball or tug ready to distract him. This will also open the door to him realizing YOU are more fun than "stuff".

• Like Like x 3
  4. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

*sigh*... @Oh Little Oji is right... these guys seem to have no sense of self preservation.

Work on "drop it" and "leave it" A LOT. Start in a controlled environment with a dog toy or something and very tasty treats. Play with him to get him to put the toy in his mouth and then whip out one of those delicious treats so he has to 'drop' the toy to get it. Praise praise praise. Rinse, repeat, work with different items in different areas.

For "leave it," we worked with my lab on a leash and had something enticing within reach. He goes for it and we yell "TREAT!" and as soon as they turn around and face you, treat and praise, praise, praise. Eventually adding the command of "leave it." Even when you go outside with him, have treats with you and work on Drop It, Leave It, and even a good recall. And I second the do NOT make it a game by chasing.

You can also muzzle train him if need be.

I did not work with my Dobe on this as much as I should've when she was a puppy so I drilled it in to my Lab who is SO GOOD at it, I can tell him "leave it" while he's eating his food and he'll stop dead in his tracks.

We have mulch in our backyard which the dogs of course love. We've actually put them on leashes while we've been outside having a fire or something even though it's fenced in because they always always gravitate toward munching on mulch.

• Like Like x 3
  5. NamVetJoe

NamVetJoe Notable member

Be VERY VERY CAREFUL you don't leave gym socks around. I was lucky Tyson gave me back 3 two from the front after a day in his stomach and one from the rear

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

True on the socks. I've also found that they may be drawn to unwashed women's underwear.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Welcome!

Puppies want to inspect everything and put it in their mouth so it's our job to keep things picked up and out of reach for a curious pup.

8. NamVetJoe

NamVetJoe Notable member

I so wanted to respond to being drawn to unwashed women's underwear but my wife just smacked me upside my head

• Funny Funny x 6